Monday, July 18, 2022

T is for AlTer PeTer

 

The view from a tower is always a great way to see a city from above and get some orientation. While we were in München, Kaefer suggested climbing the tower of St. Peter, the oldest recorded parish church in Munich, right in the center of the city. It is called "Alter Peter" in the vernacular. You can find it between Marienplatz and Viktualienmark.

Climbing the tower is not for the faint of heart - it's up old wooden stairs and after a while I stopped counting the steps and just concentrated on actually making it to the top. I had to take a few breaks and catch my breath, but I eventually made it to the viewing platform.

It was worth every single step (and every silent curse that slipped through my mind). What a view!

View over Heiliggeistkirche toward Kaefer's neighborhood at the horizon

Neues Rathaus (New City hall) at Marienplatz, Theatinerkirche and Hofgarten; Olympic Tower to the left

Frauenkirche - one of the most well known landmarks - and Olympic Tower

Viktualienmarkt - you can even faintly see the Alps in the distance

Looking straight down to the roof of the church - it is a very long church.

After we had come down we visited the inside of the church. It is Roman-Catholic like so many churches in Bavaria. It's built and decorated in the Baroque style, lots of gold inside - let me put it mildly, I simply don't like it (those who know me are aware of my much stronger feelings and opinions).


I couldn't resist taking the following photo, even though the quality is rather poor. My photographer's eye is always open, even if I don't like a place (or especially then).

One thing I like in Catholic churches are the candles and I always light one for my family. In my book, praying for your family is not dependent on any church or even religion. I liked that the image of the church is engraved on the candles.


Pandemic times didn't pass by the holy water either - it was in a special dispenser ("Weihwasserspender" means holy water dispenser).


Right next to the church are several street cafés and we thought it was time for a break - and this is my ticket for Elizabeth's T Tuesday. Kaefer and I had a Bellini with a scoop of ice cream and the Geek opted for the ice coffee. Please note that I write "ice" instead of "iced" coffee - ice coffee is cold coffee with one or two scoops of vanilla ice cream and often whipped cream on top. It's very popular in Germany; the German word for it is "Eiskaffee" (and the same goes for Eisschokolade or ice chocolate that I wrote about here).


I simply love the reflection of the Bellini in Kaefer's sunglasses.




24 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful post enjoyed the tour. ice cream in coffee sounds delicious Happy T Kathy

Elephant's Child said...

Well done. I am not certain I could have managed that climb and the views are DEFINITELY spectacular.
And that reflection shot is a winner.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such beautiful photographs, and the view so amazing.

All the best Jan

Sharon Madson said...

Oh, walking to the top of the tower had to be totally worth it! What a view!
I also love the reflection of the Bellini in Kaefer's sunglasses. Great photo and foresight on your part. Happy T Day!

Mae Travels said...

Once more, I thank you for taking us on this wonderful trip to Germany. I hope some day I'll actually get there in person. Though I doubt if I will do the stair climbing.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Darla said...

Spectacular views. I'm so glad you took the ohoto's. I enjoyed them very much.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You definitely have an eye for photography. I love the view you got from the top of the church. The buildings are so different and ornate. I thought I saw a bit of Russian influence, too. It was well worth the climb.

One thing about that church. They sure didn't believe in minimalism back in the 17th century. It was a bit gaudy. I admit the candles are especially lovely.

I'm with Sharon when she said she loved the reflection of the Bellini in Kaefer's sunglasses. That was an absolutely PERFECT photo for T this week, Carola.

Thanks for sharing Alter Peter church, the view from the top, and your drinks with us for T this almost Tuesday.


Iris Flavia said...

Uhhh, that is HIGH up!!!! Nothing for me, sadly, a great views!
I prefer my old Peter, my FIL, LOL.
Great pics of you two :-)
The pic of the hand really catches the eye.
Weihwasserspender, now that is nothing I would´ve expected! Nice!
Sounds you really had a great time together - happy T-Day, hope to see more!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Carola - thanks for the visit ... lovely photos and tour you've given us here. That walk up would most definitely be worth it ... I'd have struggled too ...

I'd love to spend time in Munich - looks amazingly interesting ... one has to admire the workmanship ... incredibly what they achieved centuries ago ...

Thank you - and the juiciness of strawberries is just perfect (with an 'i') ... cheers Hilary

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am very glad that you made the long climb up the stairs, Carola, so that we could share the magnificent view. You earned your drink afterwards, and I bet it tasted good. Like you, I am not impressed with the over-the-top decor of these opulent cathedrals that verge on obscene to my eyes. I can never help but recall how much money was extracted from poor people who could not afford it to build these edifices from which to propagandize more nonsense to reinforce the fear that people already had, to continue the cycle. I have seen barrios in South America where most people live in poverty, with barefoot children running around, while priests live in well-fed luxury in opulent quarters. Enough of that, however. Thanks so much for taking us along on this tour of Munich.

My name is Erika. said...

That was definitely worth the climb, and hurrah, you did it! It looks beautiful. I do need to put Germany on my travel list. And your drinks today look fantastic also. I need to get or make some ice cream and try that cold chocolate. Thanks for all these great selections of drinks. I love the variety. Have a great T day Carola. Hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

I agree, worth every step. It is truly beautiful there. Thank you for sharing your trip with us and your beautiful daughter.

Jackie McGuinness said...

Your photos are gorgeous! I wouldn't be climbing either!

jinxxxygirl said...

Lovely photos Carola! I thank so much again for taking us along! I think i would like that Bellini very much! Great photo of it in the sunglasses! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

pam nash said...

Lovely pictures let me see places I fear I will have the chance to visit. Thanks.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm glad you made it up the steps. The view definitely looks like it was worth all that effort, and I appreciate you sharing the photos. The church is gorgeous, too!

I've never had ice coffee or iced coffee either one, though I like coffee-flavored ice cream, so I imagine I'd enjoy your treat :) Happy T Tuesday!

Empire of the Cat said...

Beautiful city isn't it. The city hall looks so gothic. I would definitely be climbing that tower - you have to don't you - and then that great view! Never had a bellini with ice cream in it, how was it? Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Red Rose Alley said...

What a beautiful Church. There are so many statues and paintings and artwork inside this church that tell a wonderful story. When the girls travel, they always like to attend Mass at the old Cathedrals wherever they visit. It was nice that you lit a candle for your family.

~Sheri

Lisca said...

Great photos from the top of the church! I'm glad you climbed it (so that we could see the wonderful views too).
In one of the photos there is a red crane next to a historical building (Neues Rathaus I think). What were they doing there? I've never seen a crane that high.
I agree with you on baroque churches. They are way over the top. And we are evangelicals, so we don't feel comfortable among so many idols of adoration. I do however like the architecture. Seeing the roof from above is also very interesting. They are beautifully made. Yes, lighting a candle is universal and one doesn't need to be a catholic to do that.
Your drinks look really yummy. I have never tasted either of them, but it sounds good.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs.
Lisca

Lorrie said...

Well done on the climb! Not for the faint of heart. But what a great view from the top. I especially like the view of the length of the church roof. I am not at all fond of Baroque architecture. Too overdone for me. I'd choose an ice chocolate for my beverage!

Kate Yetter said...

Such beautiful views from that tower. That certainly was a long church roof. I would love to hear why you find the baroque decor distasteful, is it the gold? I like the intricate scroll work and such, but it can be overwhelming at times and definitely cluttered.
I have never had a bellini, but it looks yummy.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Jeanie said...

Oh my! That view is spectacular, just amazing. And so, too, is the interiour of the church. Can you imagine worship there? Or building it? Amazing.

CJ Kennedy said...

Spectacular views! Rococo style is beautiful though I wouldn't want to be the one dusting all the nooks and crannies. Happy T Day

Gretchen Joanna said...

Ice coffee! delicious!

Those views are breathtaking.