Saturday, July 30, 2022

What's Wrong with that Beer?

 

I know I know, you have been waiting for this, haven't you? You were starting to ask, when is she finally taking us to the beer garden? She has been writing about München since the beginning of June, but what about the beer??? And what was wrong with that picture in last Tuesday's T post?

Alright then, let's go to the beer garden.

In München you can pretty much go to a different beer garden every day if you want to. There are the big ones by the breweries like Paulaner, but there are also many smaller ones, some really just a bigger garden by the side of the road. 

Beer gardens have long simple tables and benches. Sometimes, when the place is very crowded, you share the table with strangers - a great way to meet and get to know other people. The majority of German beer gardens are in Bavaria, and other than beer gardens in the rest of Germany, you can bring your own food and eat it there as long as you buy your drink(s). We've seen many people who do this - they buy their beer (or whatever they want to drink) and at the table they put out their tupperware and spread their food. It's a great way to spend the evening outside in company without breaking the bank.

Our first evening in Munich, finally spending time with Kaefer again

Of course you can also order food in a beer garden. The food is typical Bavarian dishes and is served cafeteria style.


Kaiserschmarrn, Schnitzel, Weißbier and dunkles Weißbier

Breze, Obatzda (Bavarian soft cheese dish), Radi (radish), Kartoffelsalat (potato salad)

Pretzels are always on offer and they can be very big.


She can be such a goofball!

Weißbier, especially the dark one, is my favorite. It is also often called Hefeweizen and is more popular in the South and Southwest than in the rest of Germany.


Weißbier is served in a special glass that is only used for Weißbier / Hefeweizen. 


A "regular" beer - called "Helles" (light - as in light color) or "Dunkles" (dark) - comes in glasses like this or smaller ones:


But what is "regular" beer anyway? There are so many different kinds of beer in Germany, some are more popular in the areas where thy come from. "Kölsch", a very light, top-fermented brew comes from Köln (Cologne); "Alt" (old) is a top-fermented, dark bitter brew from Düsseldorf; Pilsner or Pils is popular all over Germany, it is bitterer than most beers and must be carefully drawn - usually seven minutes (if you order a Pils and you get it after three minutes, it is not carefully drawn); "Rauchbier" (smoked beer) that is brewed in Bamberg. These are just a few kinds of beers of the rich selection in Germany. And each has its own glass.

Glasses for Weißbier, Kölsch and "Willibecher", a more universal glass 


Glasses for Pils, Alt and the famous Bierseidel which comes in 1 or 1/2 liter

You might have heard about the German Reinheitsgebot (purity law), enacted in 1516 in Bavaria's Ingolstadt. It says that "from henceforth, in our towns, our markets, and in the country, nothing should be used in the making of beer except barley, hops, and water alone." Yeast as an ingredient was added later. In 1987 this ruling was reversed when German brewers lost their case that brewers from countries outside Germany should not be allowed to import any beer if it wasn't brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot. However, brewing beer by only using barley, hops, water and yeast enjoys very high popularity in Germany and brewers proudly announce that their beer is "pure". Weißbier is brewed with a large proportion of wheat relative to the amount of malted barley.

German beer "science" doesn't end here. Remember the picture I showed last Tuesday, mentioning that something is wrong here?


When you go out with friends or a group, before you take your first sip of beer you clink glasses. While you clink glasses, you don't look at your glass, but you look into the eyes of the person you clink glasses with. It is very rude not to do that. So far so good. Looking at the picture above, you would think that this looks alright - we're clinking glasses, Kaefer is looking at me... but no. We're not drinking any old kind of beer, we're drinking Weißbier. And with Weißbier, you clink with the BOTTOM of the glasses, not the top as in the picture. This is ONLY for Weißbier, not for any other drink. Why? By clinking the glasses at the bottom, the yeast that has settled at the bottom after pouring is being "shaken up" and distributes throughout the drink. If you happen to pour Weißbier from a bottle, you have to do it very slowly with the glass held almost horizontally, otherwise you get too much foam at the top. Before the bottle is completely empty, you "shake" it in a circular movement so that you get all the yeast at the bottom. I told you it's science! I once even did a Weißbier pouring session at my home with my German class - it was very popular. The fun of teaching adult students!

By the way, we did clink our glasses at the bottom after taking this picture!

Elizabeth, thank you for the opportunity to share this with the T Tuesday gang. Everybody knows now what to do if they find themselves in Germany with some Weißbier (or in a German restaurant outside of Germany).

This has become quite long... so let's lean back and have a beer. Prost!





18 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for continuing my education. I am constantly delighted by the amount I learn here in the blogosphere. I still have never had a beer I like though...

kathyinozarks said...

Hello, I just now found this post-very interesting and thank you for the beer lessons enjoyed it!

Lisca said...

How interesting! I learnt a lot about beer. I didn't know any of this.
Cheers!
Lisca

Kate Yetter said...

I don't drink beer but I couldn't wait to find out the answer so I read the whole thing. Wow, I never knew that there were so many beers, that each one has a specific glass, and that their are laws about brewing. My SIL lives in Germany and I am sure she knows all this. I will have to ask. Thanks for the information.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love that you brought science into the discussion of beer. It made it even MORE enjoyable for me. Thank you for explaining the different glasses and the different beers that go in each. This has been a very rewarding and enjoyable few weeks of traveling with you through Germany and meeting Kaefer. Thanks for adding to my education of beer for T this almost Tuesday, dear Carola. LOVED the photos, too.

Sharon Madson said...

How fun to find out about different beers and different glasses. Who knew?
This is a perfect post for T Day. Happy T Day!

My name is Erika. said...

It was fun reading about all the specialized glasses. I've seen beer here served in all of these shapes at various times, but didn't know in Germany different beers had different glasses. And that food looks yummy too, as do your wonderful family photos. Thanks for your comment about journals on my blog also. Have a great T day and a wonderful start to August. hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun post! We dodn't have as many beer-gardens here as in München, but we do have some. We often go to one here in Kaiserswerth and always drink Weizenbeer without alcohol! And the food is always great! Thanks for your lovely post! Hugs, Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Good morning, Carola: Who knew there was so much to learn about different beer glasses? Thanks for the tour! I can't believe the size of the pretzels. There is enough in one of them to last the whole day! It has been great fun having this insight into a traditional Bavarian beer garden. Thank you, Carola.

Jackie McGuinness said...

Thanks for this! We collect beer glasses and have the various shapes and sizes.
I have drank my share of beer in Germany!

CJ Kennedy said...

I don't care for beer, but this was such a fun post. Happy T Day

DVArtist said...

This is a lovely post. You all look so happy in the photos. I would love to taste the beers in Germany. Also the glassware, very nice. Thank you for sharing and have a nice day.

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't drink beer and know nothing about it. I had no idea about any of this. I've never heard of a restaurant where you could order drinks but bring your own food. Fun! Happy T Tuesday :)

Let's Art Journal said...

Such an interesting and fun post! I love beer so this really appeals to me and what could be better than a pretzel to accompany this drink - perfect 😊. Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

pearshapedcrafting said...

What an interesting post! Unfortunately I am not beer drinker - I've tried lots of sips of different beers but it's just not for me! Happy T Day, Chrisx

nwilliams6 said...

Wow, what a fun read, Carola! I learned something and I am jealous too! Looks like so much fun to go to a beer garden and drink traditional beers in their own glasses and eat yummy food. Your family is so fun. Thanks for sharing all this.

Happy T-day and hugz

Iris Flavia said...

The Pretzel is gigantic!!!
Here they cannot make it - or your tastebuds have to grow up with it? Ours are dry and tasteless, the one I tried, at least, but the Obatzda and potato looks yummy!

We now have Weißbier-Märzen. Hm. And Weißbier-Radler!!! None tried so far. Bad memories of a way, way way too sweet banana-Weizen. And it was huge. And expensive, so I drank it.
Good memories with Kölsch (visited my Brother for 2 weeks there, we had fun). "Alt"... no beer, if you ask someone in Cologne ;-)

Never heard of Rauchbier, but this post really shows your roots :-)

By golly, am I glad Märzen is drunk from the bottle! All those glasses! (In a restaurant you get it in a glass. But all workers you´ll find happily trotting home, taking sips from the bottle).

You reminded me... I think I´ll make a post on beer-science next T.

Hm, bottom to clink, OK, and yes, the craft beers you get here, pour like that, too.
Sweet last pic!
Happy belated T-Day!

Empire of the Cat said...

What an interesting post Carola, I really enjoyed reading all the beer stuff and about the glasses and the science. When I lived in Germany I ate pretzels every day on the way to work, and they were delicious. Any pretzel I have had since has been disappointing. I also drank weissbeer regularly too, also delicious. You all look like you had a great time there. Happy belated T Day Elle/EOTC xx