Wednesday, July 27, 2022

8-Ball Zucchini and a Quilt

 

At the farmers market 8-ball zucchini have turned up again. A few years ago I bought them for the first time, after I had learned how to prepare them. I found them the most delicious if you stuff them.

Preheat the oven to 375 F / 190 C.

First, cut off the tops of the zucchinis and hollow them out with a spoon. Put the zucchini guts in a bowl and add chopped tomato and onion.

Heat a skillet on medium high and brown some pancetta (the recipe says bacon, but I prefer diced pancetta). Add zucchini guts, tomato and onion and cook for 4 minutes or so.

Remove from heat and add bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Spoon stuffing into zucchini and top with remaining cheese and the zucchini tops.

Place stuffed zucchini in a lightly greased baking pan or baking dish (the recipe says to pour water in the bottom of the pan which I don't do either). Bake for 40 minutes or until zucchini is softened. Enjoy.



The original recipe is available here

Since I am linking to Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date, I shouldn't forget about the art. Today, the art is not something that I created. Last Friday I met with my friend Liz - they had lost their home in the October 2017 fires and were only able to move into their rebuilt home last summer - and she gifted me with this gorgeous quilt she had made. She said that she always thought of me when she was working on it - because these are my colors! I was surprised and overwhelmed (in a good sense) about this wonderful, personal gift that she had put so much work in it.


This was also one of the first things I saw today (this week's prompt).






16 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good afternoon, I have never seen those round zucchini's before-thanks for sharing. I will look out for those.
The quilt is gorgeous!! enjoy

Elephant's Child said...

I haven't seen those zucchini here. It does look like a tasty and simple recipe.
That quilt is simply gorgeous. Lucky, lucky you. You must feel blessed.

Jeanie said...

Your friend is super gifted in quilting. That looks absolutely delicious. I haven't seen those round ones here, though. Closest I've come are acorn squash -- totally different (but fabulous stuffed!)

Mae Travels said...

Beautiful quilt from your friend. I hope she is recovering from the terrible loss of her home.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, they look like little pumpkins. Your baked zucchini looks delicious. The stuffing has so many good things in it. My dad used to plant zucchini is his garden, and he would bring them in and my mom would cook them for supper. I remember having lots of zucchini growing up. The quilt is wonderful. I've always thought quilting was an art. Such pretty colors in this quilt. What a thoughtful and beautiful gift from your friend.

~Sheri

Iris Flavia said...

Hmmmm, this looks like really yummy - and I have pancetta in the fridge.
But. As you can guess.... No way we get these zucchini here.

A very special quilt indeed.

Christine said...

Never seen ball zucchini. Lovely quilt.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I don't think I have ever seen round zucchinis. We stuff peppers and the idea is fundamentally the same. It looks very tasty indeed. Yesterday we added regular zucchini to a stir fry, and while Miriam was away earlier this week she had grilled zucchini which she said was delicious. It's a versatile item, isn't it? And we haven't even got to zucchini bread!

My name is Erika. said...

I've heard people talk about 8 ball zucchini, but I have never seen one. All I see here are the long thin ones. Stuffed zucchini looks delicious. I've done stuffed acorn squash, but I haven't seen zucchini stuffed. And wow. I am really impressed by that quilt. Those colors are amazing. And what a thoughtful and wonderful lady too. I hope you have a wonderful end of your week. hugs-Erika

pam nash said...

That quilt is beautiful! I honestly don't think I've ever seen 8-ball zucchini before but will have to look for it now. The recipe sounds very good!

Linda Kunsman said...

Perhaps this fall I will try and make stuffed squash;) That quilt is gorgeous!!! What a loving and thoughtful gift.

NatureFootstep said...

hm, zucchini is something I rarely see in our shops. Not sure why. So, I never learned how to use them.

Gretchen Joanna said...

I haven't seen ball zucchini before, but they do look fun!

Your new quilt is wonderful -- what a special gift.

Tom said...

...those zucchinis are new to me, we enjoy zucchini boats. The quilt is quite a gift.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The round zucchini was a new variety to me as well as I have not seen them in stores or the local farmers market, but it seems they can be prepared and stuffed like similar long ones. I also think pancetta is a good choice.

Your friend, Liz, gifted you with a wonderful handmade quilt which I am sure you will treasure. The colors are lovely. I am sure that losing her home was devastating and good to know she and her family are in a new place.

Rain said...

Oh Carola!!! Your friend made you such a lovely quilt!!! How beautifully thoughtful!!! Oh the zucchini!!! That looks so darn tasty. I do the same with spaghetti squash, I just add chili to the innards and bake them, so good! I will keep an eye out for the round zukes when I go to the market next week!!! ♥♥♥