Tuesday, July 5, 2022

What is German Food?

 

Left: Schnitzel "Wiener Art" (pork instead of veal) with fries and lingonberrry sauce; right: breaded schnitzel with potato salad

You have probably heard the term "German food" and maybe you thought of schnitzel and bratwurst. Both are certainly typical German food - but actually the term "German food" is quite misleading. Germany has several local cuisines and depending in which region you are, you will get the special food of that area. Even food that you can get all over Germany like bratwurst is not the same in the different regions - a Nürnberger Bratwurst is quite different from a Thüringer Bratwurst. In the following picture you can see three foods that are typical for certain regions in Germany, but are differently made in those regions. Of these three, Currywurst - originally from Berlin - might be the most popular one. It is a typical fast food (and way better than McDonalds, Burger King etc. It actually tastes like food.). I wrote about it here.

From left to right: Sauerbraten (marinated and braised beef) with potato dumplings and red cabbage; Zwiebelrostbraten (onion beef roast) with Bratkartoffeln (fried potatoes); Currywurst with fries

In this post I will show you Bavarian food and a little bit of Swabian food - both are favorites of mine. Most (but not all) of the Bavarian food photos were taken in a Biergarten (beer garden).

From left to right: Leberkäs (a type of meat loaf) with fried egg and bread; Obatzda (a spread made with very ripe camembert, butter, beer, onions and spices) with bread; Kaiserschmarrn (cut-up and sugared pancake with raisins)

The Leberkäs is also called Fleischkäs which is essentially the same thing. We often eat it sandwiched in a roll. A roll has several names in Germany, depending in which region you are. In Bavaria they're called Semmeln, in Swabia they are Wecken or Weckle. The short form for Leberkäswecken is LKW - which is also what we call a big truck. Welcome to the confusing peculiarities of the German language.

One of the biggest food seasons in Germany is Spargelzeit - white asparagus season. This is the time when many Germans kind of lose their minds foodwise. It only lasts a few short months - the start of asparagus season depends on the weather, but the last day traditionally is June 24th. My preferred way to eat white asparagus is as Spargelcrèmesuppe (creamy asparagus soup).


Two more very popular Bavarian soups are (on the left) Brezensupp'n (pretzel soup) and (on the right) Leberknödelsupp'n (liver dumpling soup). Both are delicious.


We also love to eat fish. Most fish here comes from the lakes and rivers, but also from the sea. I love Zander and I was very happy that I found it on the menu in a restaurant in Würzburg. The rainbow trout I had came from the Königssee, one of the most romantic lakes in Germany (blogpost will follow, I promise).

Clockwise from top left: Fish and chips; Zander with potato salad; pollock with potato cucumber salad; rainbow trout with herb butter and potatoes

You may be surprised that I include Döner in this post. Not a German food at all, it is one of the most popular street foods in my native country. Germany has a large population of Turkish people and they brought us the Döner (teşekküler, Türkiye!) When we're in Germany we need at least one Döner.


It was SO good!

Let's take a little break and have some gelato, shall we?


Now let's go over to Swabia and explore three of their local dishes. We had them when we stopped for lunch in Tübingen where I used to live.


From left to right: Fried Maultaschen (kind of Swabian ravioli); Saitenwürstle mit Linsen und Spätzle (the Swabian version of Vienna sausage with lentils and Swabian noodles); Schupfnudeln or Bubaspitzle mit Sauerkraut (potato noodles with sauerkraut)

Maultaschen has always been my favorite Swabian dish. You can prepare them in many different ways, the filling can be meat or vegetarian - they are so versatile. A glass of Trollinger (typical red wine from Baden-Württemberg) completes the meal.

We need dessert! What about (on the left) Dampfnudeln (a usually sweet yeast dumpling) or (on the right) a slice of Käsekuchen (cheese cake)? This is a Swabian Käsekuchen - it is not made with cream cheese like cheese cake in the US but with Quark which is very popular in Germany (I was looking for a good translation but couldn't find one; it's a low-fat dairy product, in France often called "fromage blanc" or white cheese; it is not like cottage cheese since it doesn't have any curds).


We're almost done! Just one more thing - cinnamon roasted almonds. They ae often sold at Christmas markets and at fairs, but in Munich's pedestrian zone I found a booth that sold small bags of them, they were still warm - the best way to eat them! So darn delicious!


I'm linking up to Kathy's Food Wednesday.





18 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good evening, I sooo enjoyed your post very much. all the food looks so delicious. My Mother's side of the family came from Germany would be my great grandparents, but my grandmother always considered herself Pennsylvania Dutch (immigrated here from Germany in the 1800's)
I would love a cup of one of those gelatos right now, as we are still around 98 degrees f.
thanks so much for joining for food wednesdays, and I hope you will continue to share your food posts at Rains' Art and Dinner Date next week posting late wednesday-into thursday hugs Kathy

Christine said...

Wow what a wonderful food post. Currywurst sounds interesting.

Gretchen Joanna said...

These are mouth-watering food photos! Thank you for the grand tour.

Elephant's Child said...

Even my vegetarian self was drooling. Selectively.

Iris Flavia said...

Hmmm (real) Schnitzel! And ohhhh, Sauerbraten! It´s ages and ages Ingo made one from scratch, sooooo yummy, and yes, with Rotkohl.
Currywurst we had every Thursday at VW (they have their own brand, ketchup inclusive).

Ingo loves Spargel, too. And Brezensupp'n sounds interesting!

Döner, oh, yes. After the meat scandals, though I only have it in my old home town.

At the Christmas Market there is always a very, very, really very long queue at one of the roasted almond stalls. Boy, am I lucky I don´t like sweets! ;-)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I just had breakfast, Carola, but looking at these pictures makes me hungry all over again! Everything looks much more appealing than the bowl of cereal I ate! It's an interesting question, "What is German cuisine?" I suppose there is still a core component of traditional dishes, but like everywhere in the world since World War II and the movement of people many influences have become part of every day cuisine. As you say, Turkish food has become commonplace in Germany. Good food, prepared well is always wonderful. And if a glass of wine should help it down, so much the better! Prost!

My name is Erika. said...

Oh now I am very hungry Carola. I had a hard time keeping track of all the names, but I did notice the food is not very light. The servings are huge, but boy do they look good. That's OK, especially when you're visiting. I bet you did a lot of walking. I'd want to try them all. Thanks for sharing. This was a fun read. hugs-Erika

jinxxxygirl said...

Ahhh Carola you take me back to Germany! Alot of the food i miss so much.. Great Food Wednesday post! Hugs! deb

pam nash said...

No breakfast yet this AM and now, I am really hungry!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I am so glad that I read this post after breakfast, Carola, because all the food photos and descriptions were so appetizing with one exception: liver dumpling soup is not something that would appeal to me. Yes to everything else including the gelato and those sweet treats. I am very glad you savored everything for us.

Red Rose Alley said...

I am always fascinated by the foods in other countries. The creamy asparagus soup looks really good. The onion beef roast with potatoes has me drooling too. The pancakes with raisins look scrumptious for a breakfast meal. I'm always amazed when folks take pictures of their food before. It's hard for me to wait - my family loves to eat good dishes. I just made Italian sausage with noodles for dinner last night. The photo of the gelato is delightful. Thanks for sharing these foods from different places, Carola. And I didn't know that Marzipan was popular in Germany, especially at Christmastime. I heard Spain and other places like it as well. They have a Marzipan candy at See's, and it's really good.

~Sheri

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I forgot to mention the cinnamon roasted almonds, and served warm, even better. And the cheesecake, oh my! : )

Barb said...

Now I must go and raid our pantry, Carola. We come from a German area in PA so I do miss the food I grew up on. We are sauerkraut people - Bob loves when I make pork and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes. I like the idea of adding cucumber to the potato salad - I'll try that. Yum, yum - now I need a snack.

Rain said...

Hi Carola! ☺ The cinnamon roasted almonds look like a delicious treat! As do the gelatos! Interesting post about German food! I admit I didn't know most of the dishes you posted about, the fish and chips look so good and the asparagus soup! People are like that here with fiddle heads. There is a very short time when they're available and they are hard to find because people buy them all up!

Lisca said...

I really enjoyed your post Carola! Some dishes were familiar to me but not all of them. I grew up with Leberkäs. You call it a meatloaf but I'm sure ours had lots of liver in it. And I love the German rye bread. Now you buy it already (thinly) sliced but when I was young, German women knew the art of slicing it beautifully.
I love the asparagus season too. Normally I am In Holland in June for my mum's birthday and I always enjoy the white asparagus. Here in Spain we have the green ones (also nice but different). I don't like river fish much (too many bones) but I love Turkish food. Like Germany, Holland has a large Turkish population,(now fourth generation) and I love their food.
The cheesecake made my mouth water. I always make my cheesecake with quark as my cakebook is Dutch. But quark is difficult to find here. Lidl has it occasionally and when they do, I buy several tubs and make cheesecake.
Thank you so much for sharing all this lovely food. I really enjoyed it.
Hugs,
Lisca

Lorrie said...

What a delicious post, Carola! I read it while eating my solitary lunch. Every country has its regions of different foods and tastes, and it's fun to explore them. I really enjoyed German food when we visited, and found the cakes utterly delicious. I like that they were not overly sweet as many are here in North America. The Bienenstich is a favourite.

Mae Travels said...

German food is a subject that interests me very much. There are few comprehensive German cookbooks in English, and I reviewed one (long out of print) here:
https://maefood.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-cuisines-of-germany.html

Also I was interested in your brief mention of Quark. Like many fermented dairy products, there’s no exact equivalent in other cuisines, and the word has an interesting history too. I wrote about it here:
https://maefood.blogspot.com/2018/02/quark.html

I love all your food photos!

Best… mae

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

There is a restaurant in a town about 30 miles north of Wichita that is German owned. Every day they have soups and salads that are German. On the weekend, they have a strictly German buffet, but I have never been. As a vegetarian, the white asparagus soup looks wonderful. I like all the fish entries, too. Of course, the desserts and the gelato are all mouth watering. Thanks for introducing me to some German foods I've never heard of before.