Friday, July 1, 2022

An Appointment in San Francisco

On Thursday the Geek had an appointment with the German Consulate General in San Francisco. We decided to make a day trip of it.

We left early because you never know how traffic is on 101 - it can be a smooth ride, but it can also be a never ending traffic jam. We were lucky and arrived 90 minutes before his appointment at the bay. Not eager to hang out in front of the consulate, we took the last exit before the Bridge and drove down to Fort Baker. I had always wanted to go here to the water front because it offers you another great view of the Bridge. Since it was a rather gloomy day - typical Golden Gate summer weather - my photos of the bridge are quite gray - but I can't help myself still thinking they are so characteristic of this area.


I probably mentioned several times on this blog how much I love the Golden Gate Bridge. After all these years and the many times I crossed this bridge I still get goose bumps. No wonder it is such a tourist attraction, albeit a very cold and windy one.

We walked along the waterfront and onto the old pier. I liked the look of the weathered dock pilings.

Then it was time to get into the city. We were done with the appointment at noon and were debating how to spend the rest of the day. Originally we had thought walking out to Land's End Lookout, but changed our minds and drove back North across the Bridge and onto the Marin Headlands. I had read about the coastal trail from Rodeo Beach to Tennessee Point and we both thought this was the day we're going to hike the trail.

The day was still overcast when we arrived. Immediately after we had arrived we saw the first of flocks and flocks of Brown Pelicans. They're common here along the coast and I never tire of watching them. (Since we were going to the consulate, I hadn't brought my good camera. These photos are all taken with my phone.)

There were so many! I think we saw 200 to 300 Brown Pelicans that day.

They seem to prefer flying in flocks and they are completely silent. Look at that graceful gliding flight!

They kept us company for our entire hike. First we climbed up a steep incline to the cliffs and then more or less moderately on top of the cliffs with beautiful views across the ocean - despite the gloominess of the day. In some places the trail was fenced off because the ocean had taken a part of the land (or the wind, who knows). In others we saw beautiful flowers and plants.


Sticky monkey-flower

Fennel

The trail was well kept and soon we could see Tennessee Point.



It looks closer than it actually was, but eventually we were almost there. The trail led through a small cypress grove that gave way to a stunning view.



California sure has some dramatic coastline.


We turned to the left and there it was - the Tennessee Point labyrinth!


All the way I wasn't sure whether we would see it. I had read that it had been destroyed, but obviously it has been restored and I was very happy about it. It gave a nice touch to the barren flat top.


It is a rather small labyrinth and it took less than two minutes to walk to its center. It was a bit too windy to do it in a meditative way. The Brown Pelicans were always with us.


Eventually it was time to walk back to the parking lot at the beach and drive home. We stopped at a Turkish restaurant in a neighboring town for a very late lunch/early dinner - the Geek had a Döner wrap and I chose the Köfte kebap wrap. I remember having delicious Köfte in Turkey and these weren't bad either.

It was a wonderful excursion!


I'm linking to Rain's Thursday Art Date.



17 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Definitely a wonderful excursion. Thank you so much for sharing some of its beauty with us. I adore pelicans, though I always think that their dinosaur heritage is evident.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am quite sure, Carola, that whenever I have an appointment I am going to take you with me. You do have a way of turning mundane activity into a fine adventure! I wouldn't be able to have Brown Pelicans accompany us around here, but perhaps a flock of highly intelligent crows might agree to come along and entertain us with their exploits. And for lunch, I know a wonderful Lebanese restaurant to get a chicken shawarma! I'll give you the date soon!

DVArtist said...

Great photos that bring back so many memories. Have a great day.

pam nash said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Beautiful views. Great pictures. Excellent day trip.

Red Rose Alley said...

The Golden Gate Bridge is very cool, and I've been through there many times being born in California. My hometown was about 3 hours from San Francisco, so visited there from time to time. That Labyrinth is something else. I like the picture of the pelicans in flight. The Turkish restaurant sounds interesting, and each of your wraps sound delicious. Carola, you really must do something with that photo of the bridge - with the mist and the rocks, it's mysterious and beautiful.

~Sheri

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Not sure why, but Firefox prevented me from opening the pop-up comment window. i had to wait till today when Firefox allowed it after I gave a preference.

I have been as far north as San Jose, but never been to San Francisco. It is definitely on my bucket list. I also love the Golden Gate Bridge, which I have only seen from TV and photos. Your view of it in fog is jaw dropping gorgeous. And to think you captured all that with your phone.

I enjoyed seeing the labyrinth and was delighted you managed to at least walk it. Sounds like a great day trip, and nice to see what a brown pelican looks like.

Veronica Lee said...

What a wonderful excursion, Carola!

I am fascinated by the beauty you captured in your stunning photos.

That labyrinth is something else!

Happy Tuesday, my dear friend.

Lorrie said...

What beautiful photos of your excursion, Carola. I've never seen the Golden Gate bridge in real life, but it is very photogenic and you have captured its mystery in the fog.
Love the labyrinth!

Barb said...

Your photos bring back good memories of the coastline in Marin and of the Golden Gate. I love the misty ambiance. The labyrinth is in a special setting.

Gretchen Joanna said...

I love this area - but I didn't know about the labyrinth. Great pictures. I've always thought that flowers show their loveliness very well with a background of overcast skies.

kathyinozarks said...

I really enjoyed your post, beautiful area, I miss not being able to explore areas like this. The furthest west I have been is Yellowstone Park. wow the coast views are amazing. I wonder what Lewis and Clark thought when they first viewed the coast and ocean.
we have the white pelicans here that fly in large numbers too over this lake during their migration. I love seeing them. Your food sounds delicious. thanks for all your lovely photos awesome way to spend the day after business.

My name is Erika. said...

This looks like a wonderful day out Carola. Last time I was in San Francisco (which was way back in 2009), it was foggy around the bridge. The fog adds so much drama. That is one reason why your photos are gorgeous today. Another is the scenery is beautiful, and even with your phone, you took some beautiful photos. Thanks so much for sharing. I really enjoyed this post. hugs-Erika

Christine said...

Gorgeous photos, it has been too long since I visited San Fran

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

What a fantastic excursion before the appointment. There is something very special about Golden Gate Bride and the surrounding nature area is gorgeous. Your photos are really wonderful.

-Soma

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your Photography is excellent and tells a story of enduring beauty. I too love the Pelicans, though the Pelicans we have had here are the White Pelicans, they are the same in their a grace in spite of their awkward appearance. A lovely post, Carola ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Tom said...

...thanks for taking me along on the misty tour of the bay. Take care and enjoy your weekend.

Rain said...

Carola, what a beautiful day trip. The fog is wonderful - I LOVE fog, it gives a nice little creepy ambiance to life! LOL...the labyrinth is so wonderful! And pelicans too! ♥♥