Friday, July 29, 2022

Tree Face

For Nicole's Friday Face Off I don't have a painted or drawn face today. Instead I want to share an experiment that I did a while ago. For this, I used an old photo of my then 10-year old daughter.

I also used a photo of a tree that I took on the Schwäbische Alb in Germany sometime in the 90s.

For my experiment I had to crop the photo of my daughter and I also cropped and edited the tree in Lightroom.


Then I opened Photoshop and layered both photos on top of each other, edited again and got this. I used the same technique as I did when I was layering photos with textures. The tree photo served as the "texture".

I didn't stop here. Once I start to edit and play around with several techniques I usually try more than just one way. In Lightroom I used a preset to achieve a much darker mood of the tree.

Don't you think the tree looks very different? I opened it in Photoshop (there is a lot of to and fro between Lightroom and Photoshop) and brought the photo of my daughter in which served as the "texture" now. I made it much smaller in the merging process so that she is peeking from behind the tree - sort of.

I liked it so much that I imported it on my cell phone as my background screen.

I did a lot more editing with the tree that resulted in different moods, not all of them good. But this is a "face" post, so I stop here and wish you a lovely weekend.



17 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

zi like the layering Carola. This is a nice experiment. And your daughter was very cute at 10. Sometimes I wish mine was 10 again, and sometimes I am glad she is 30 and living a good life. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for all the explanations on how you achieved the final image, Carola. I will admit to not using any photo adjustment programs aside from a couple of free apps. Years ago, I had a copy of Photoshop which unfortunately could no longer be used when I upgraded my computer. The variations that are possible using these programs is amazing and I would find myself sitting all day and "experimenting" so perhaps best not to own any now.

DVArtist said...

Ohhh yes this is brilliant. I love the overlay effect. Thank you for joining Friday Face Off.

Christine said...

Love your design! Sweet granddaughter.

Elephant's Child said...

What a brilliant and fascinating effect. And both subjects are truly beautiful.

sirkkis said...

Your daughter is very, very beautiful, and the photo is a master piece. Her colors and expression are amazingly enchanting.
You made a good job digitally with them.
Happy weekend 🌺

Jeanie said...

These are all so interesting. I've never done photoshop -- it's fun to see what you do!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Carla - thanks for popping in to my blog ... my back is easing (slowly!) thankfully. I'd love to be creative like you've been ... wonderful talent to have ... and so interesting to see your process here. Cheers Hilary

NatureFootstep said...

lol, I love it! That is exactly the way I work too. I rarely know what the final image will look like. It is like it is the image that speaks.

You did choose the best image as the final one. I agree.I would have stopped there too. :)

Rostrose said...

Liebe Carola,
dein Experiment ist mehr als geglückt - vor allem das tree face in deinem 5. Foto finde ich großartig. Zum Teil hat das wohl auch damit zu tun, dass deine Tochter en sehr ausdrucksstarkes Gesicht hat - zusammen mit dem mächtigen Baum hat das Bild etwas sehr, sehr Kraftvolles!
Alles Liebe und schönes Wochenende,
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/07/mallorca-reisebericht-teil-3-tag-7-bis.html
PS: Danke fürs Teilen deiner Blackout- und Feuer-Erfahrungen. Ja, bei euch in Californien sind die großen Waldbrände inzwischen wirklich ein riesiges Thema... wie traurig, wenn man an die wunderschöen Waldgebiete denkt... und wie gefährlich für all die Menschen, die in der Umngebung leben...

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is amazing what you have been able to achieve with this kind on manipulation, Carola. The artist within you leaps to the fore every time. I just plod along and edit my pictures in the normal way! I actually miss Picasa which is what I used to use. It was so simply and worked very well for a blogger. Enjoy the weekend that has just begun.

pam nash said...

I like the picture of the tree layered over her face - makes me think of The Tree of Life growing through our children.

Rain said...

The end results are wonderful Carola! I like the second one, with the darker tree, the contrasts are lovely! How creative! ☺

carol l mckenna said...

Carola ~ this so beautiful ~ Wow! and so creative too ~ Fantastic! Xo


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explrores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Lowcarb team member said...

So creative, thank you for sharing.

All the best Jan

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Love the layering of the tree over the face.

Iris Flavia said...

A tad late here.
Such a sweet face and great what you did of it!!!