Friday, July 8, 2022

The Caged Bird Sings of Freedom


Usually I don't feel confident painting faces. But when I watched Christa Forrest's session of the Kaleidoscope 2022 Taster Week, I was so inspired to try my own take of her painting.

Like her, I used Maya Angelou's poem "Caged Bird" as my inspiration and also used her reference image to trace the face. I wrote parts of the poem with black charcoal and then covered it with white gesso and some water. I added washi tape and papers to make some collaged background. Then I stencilled with white paint over it. That was the easy part.

After I had traced the face I started to fill in the face. Christa's idea was to just use black and white and mix midtones with it. For me, it was quite a challenge to stay within these colors, but it taught me about their values. It was interesting and a great learning experience. I had seen her applying the color for the hair with a sponge, so I tried that, too. The outcome in my painting isn't quite as stunning as in hers, but I like the technique and love the texture of it.

As you can see, I didn't stay within the limits of black, white and the midtones. I had to bring in some mute color in her "clothes", the stars, flowers and bird. The final collaging of the birds and the white cosmos was fun. The flowers are out of a gardening catalogue and the birds come from an old bird calendar. Finally I added some words from the poem.

This is the first time I'm joining Nicole's Friday Face Off.





24 comments:

sirkkis said...

An expressive mixed media page. I like the black color shades you used, and her hair is really good, as well as the dress texture interesting.
Well done, happy weekend XX

kathyinozarks said...

Oh Wow, I Love Love your painting

Granny Annie said...

Love the portrait in black and white with perfect splashes of color.

Mae Travels said...

Your combination of painting and collage created a very pleasing work of art!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are amazing, Carola. I skipped that taster lesson because I don't paint or draw (nor do I care to). You did an absolutely amazing job, dear.

Rain said...

Carola that is AWESOME!!!! I love the detail and the shading! Way to go! ♥♥

Barbara said...

This is a meaningful piece in execution as well as theme. The sidelong title is placed beautifully. It really touches me!

DVArtist said...

OOHHHH MYYYY GOSHHHHH! She is absolutely stunning! I love the mid tones and then just that splash of dull yellow. This is truly a magnificent piece. Great shading too. I can't stop looking at her. It might be your first time with Friday Face Off but I hope it is not the last. Your portrait is simply gorgeous. Thank you so much for joining in.

Barbara said...

Carola, your piece touches me deeply! I don’t think it’s any one or even two things, but I am really touched by the execution, the way you have laid out all of the elements, the peaceful look on your subject’s face is extremely effective, the birds and flowers and your use of color in just the right places, it all came together perfectly for me. And all of that was even before I noticed your title hand written down the left side. For me that was the finishing touch and absolutely perfect. So well done!!

Elephant's Child said...

Wow, wow, and wow. Colour me awed. That is an amazingly beautiful piece.

Red Rose Alley said...

This is really nice, Carola. I like the bits of muted color you used, and the daisies in her hair are perfect. You know, Maya Angelou is my favorite. Now, I'm wondering, will you paint my portrait? haha. Do put this up in your house somewhere.

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

This is really beautiful and I'm glad you didn't stay within the color restrictions. What you chose is very neutral but gives it a bit of extra life. I like the gold.

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Carola, this is fantastic! I watched that class but haven't done anything about it yet (too many things on at the same time lol) but I love your version of her and her hair is really great too. I'm joining Nicole's FF for only the second time this week so we are newbies together lol Happy Friday Elle/EOTC xx

Latane Barton said...

I love it. Great job.

Christine said...

Well done!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It seems to me that you have done a great job here, Carola. The execution of the work has obviously been carefully done, and you have transferred your vision of it extremely well. I find the whole piece quite evocative. The addition of the birds helped my appreciation along too!
All the best - David

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While I am not an artist myself, I can surely appreciate the beauty in your composition, Carola. This is definitely a piece to frame and display.

Lorrie said...

You've created a great multi-media image, Carola. Faces are something I avoid drawing or painting, too. How great that you pushed past your resistance and just did it!

NatureFootstep said...

beautiful art. The soft colores ads a lot to your design for the face. Love ti!

Iris Flavia said...

Big, big WOW on this one!!!
I love it!
Not only the face (which came out supergreat) but also the mixed media.
Very beautiful!

NatureFootstep said...

Strange, I think I had posted a comment, but there are none. :( Anyway. I love what you created and the colors you choose. The colors enhances the mood of the face. :)

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

An impressive first try ... I don't think you need to fear drawing or painting faces, you did a wonderful job here. Again I love your knowledge of technique and your mixed media contributions to this painting gave it life. Beautiful, beautiful, Carola ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Veronica Lee said...

You did a fantastic job, Carola!

I love it.

Happy Monday!

carol l mckenna said...

Thanks for your supportive comment about my losing Angel ~ I am lost.

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)