Monday, July 25, 2022

Another Bavarian Lake

 

Today I am taking you to Starnberger See, another lake near München. We have already been to Ammersee, but today we're riding on a different train which we will leave at Possenhofen and walk through the forest down to the lake. We'll pass a meadow that you've already seen.

From there it is just a Katzensprung ("cat jump" -> stone's throw) to the lake. Like Ammersee, Starnberger See has many piers that lead into the lake. These piers are very popular with the population for just hanging out for a few hours and make the most of the time at the lake.




The perfect backdrop for wedding pictures! We loved the swan swimming up to the couple. What you can't see is that the bride is holding their infant daughter as well.

After spending quite some time right here at the lake we took a walk along it. I have no idea what this old tower was used for. I can only guess that it used to belong to the castle grounds of Possenhofen.


We could only see a bit of the castle peeking through the vegetation. It is the childhood home of Princess Elisabeth in Bayern, who was known as "Sisi". She later became Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary and was assassinated in Geneva. She is often known as the tragic empress and the "Sissi" movie trilogy with Romy Schneider as Elisabeth was a huge success in Germany (and the start of Romy Schneider's remarkable carreer). Elisabeth's real life was a bit different than told in the movies though.


Almost directly on the opposite shore of the lake is the Votivkapelle, a memorial chapel for König Ludwig II (King Louis II), the Märchenkönig (fairy tale king). He was a cousin of Sisi and was engaged to her youngest sister Sophie Charlotte; however, they never married. Ludwig II built some of the best known castles in Bavaria, Herremchiemsee, Linderhof (my favorite) and, of course, Neuschwanstein which is particularly popular with Americans and which served as inspiration for Disney's Cinderella castle. He died at Starnberger See on June 13, 1886 and it is still unclear what had happened (murder? accident? natural death?). A cross was errected where his body was found - you can see it in the photo if you look hard (it's right on the shore).


I loved the wide meadows with the majestic trees. There were many chestnut trees in bloom and of course I saw a few of my beloved Copper beeches.


Chestnut bloom


The meadows were full with Pusteblumen (dandelion clock) - I remember blowing the seedheads apart as a child. Don't all children do that?


Let's take a last look at the lake before heading home.



After all these hours on the lake we need something to drink because this is for Elizabeth's T Tuesday where we show a drink every week. What do you think I'm bringing to Elizabeth's today? Of course it's beer from a beer garden - all of us having Weißbier. I hope someone who is familiar with the culture of German Weißbier/Hefeweizen sees what is wrong in this picture. Prost!






20 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good evening, lovely post enjoyed the photos and the history Happy T Kathy

Barbara said...

A wondrous journey enhanced only by your incredible photography. Thank you!

Mae Travels said...

Being only vaguely familiar with hefeweizen I wish you would reveal what’s wrong with the photo!

Your photos are beautiful.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Linda Kunsman said...

gorgeous photos of your trip- and oh how refreshing it would be now to take a dip in the lake! Love that sweet pic of the bride and groom, and I would love a glimpse in that castle too. Probst, and happy T day!

My name is Erika. said...

That lake looks lovely Carola. And that is a wonderful shot you got of the bride and groom and the swan. I also like the bike and the arch photos too. It looks like you had a really wonderful trip with all these photo posts. Have a great T day and week ahead. hugs-Erika

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for sharing the beauty. And lots of it.
As a non beer drinker (of any sort) I have no idea what is wrong with that photo - and hope you will tell us.

Iris Flavia said...


I´ve never been to Bavaria, other than airport Munich. Need to rethink, I guess, such beautiful lakes!
And the swan in that pic with the couple, awww. How they sit, so relaxed!
My SIL was 100% hectical on her wedding day, I don´t think she had any fun.
Sissi, yes, I remember. A (stupid to me so-called) comedy group made another movie on this.

Children? I still make wishes on Pusteblumen!

Love the pic with the lonely bike, too - mine is just right behind me (cellar stairs too steep, it "lives" in the living room for now). Also green-black.

Uh-oh. I hope you don´t hate me.. I don´t like Weißbier. Märzen or Ale it is.
Sweet pic of your Käfer none-the less :-)
Have a happy T-Day

Empire of the Cat said...

What a beautiful, tranquil place. I love the shot of the couple sitting, the one with the bike and that last view through the arch especially. What's wrong with the beer photo though? Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an amazing lake. Your photos are superb and your knowledge of the area makes me feel like I have a personal guide as you explain everything to us. Loved the photo of couple and the one of the arch and benches. Enjoyed learning more about the castle, too. Sorry, I didn't get the "joke" or "hint" behind the beer, though.


Thanks for taking us to Starnberger See, then to a beer garden for beers this T Tuesday.


David M. Gascoigne, said...

Another great tour, Carola; I was very happy to join you. No doubt the tourist authority in Bavaria will shortly be sending your cheque to cover the excellent promotion you have provided for their area! Perhaps there will be a new video, available on line, "Capers with Carola." I expect it will be a big hit and increase their tourism in great measure. Not being an expert in German culture, in fact barely having a passing acquaintance with it, I am unable to see what is wrong in the final picture. I see a beautiful young lady and beer and that's good enough for me!

Jeanie said...

How beautiful. I love that arch near the end. And the water looks so sparkly and clean! I have a book on Ludwig, the fairy tale king. I always wanted to see the castle but I think I'd love this just as much. I'm so glad you had this visit -- it is wonderful!

Jackie McGuinness said...

Love the wedding photo!! And a beer at the end is perfect.

Lisca said...

I really enmjoyed looking at your photos. The one with the bride is beautiful and through the gate. I particularly like the trees. I've always had a thing about trees. Strangely enough I had never seen chestnut flowers up close. Very beautiful!
I don't know what's wrong with the weissbier. Wrong colour? I know that the colour varies as does the cloudyness. Please put us out of our misery soon!
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

jinxxxygirl said...

I thoroughly enjoyed all the photos Carola. You are a wonderful photographer. I wish i knew the answer to the beer question but i haven't a clue. I do hope you'll tell us. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful place, I bet it was cool by the lake 😊. I'd happily join you for a beer - cheers and sending you Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful lake and scenery. Lovely place for wedding photos and the swan was a perfect addition. the last picture with your lovely daughter reminds me of the song from Sesame Street: One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn't belong...Happy T Day

Red Rose Alley said...

This lake is very pretty. What a lovely photo of the couple with the Swan. I wish you could have given them that, it really is special. I like the picture of the dandelion. For some reason, we get some of the biggest dandelions here in the mountains. Your photos are magical, Carola. I enjoy them each and every time. The last photo of the beer is fun, and will be a nice memory for you of the time spent with your daughter.

~Sheri

Kate Yetter said...

Loving that tower! It is very picturesque. What a fun photo of the bride and groom with the swan.
I would love to know what is wrong with that picture but sadly I know nothing of German culture.
Happy Belated Tea Day,
Kate

pearshapedcrafting said...

What beautiful photographs. I loved seeing Sisi's castle and all those beautiful lake shots. Pusteblumen is such lovely name for dandelion. Sorry, I seee nothing wrong with your beer! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Unknown said...

The only thing I can think of that is wrong with this photo is that in German culture you must make eye contact when you Prost! with someone, impossible to do with 3 people.