Friday, July 22, 2022

Graphite Girl

 A while ago I found the picture of a young Yemenite woman or girl on Pinterest. For some reason I found it captivating - the way she looked at the camera, her eyes, her way of attempting a smile that didn't quite work out and speaks more of hard and difficult times. I came to this picture again and again until I finally tried to draw her.

My attempt, of course, turned into something completely different. From the start it was clear that I didn't have hope that this would be any good because I drew on copy paper. At that time I didn't even finish it, but shoved it in my folder - I only found it a few days ago. Nicole's Friday Face Off was the motivation to keep on working on the drawing and be more serious this time. I used my graphite pencils (those lovely ones from Staedtler) and some charcoal (Derwent) and since I couldn't just let it stand with its shades of black, I added a touch of sanguine which you almost can't see in the photo. As you will see, my woman doesn't carry any similarities to the woman/girl that inspired the drawing. She is pensive, there is just a hint of a smile (if at all) - but I came to like her. I probably could have done much better, but I decided to let it be the way it is now.

You can find the original picture here.

Since Nicole was my motivation, I'm linking to her Friday Face Off.


17 comments:

Rostrose said...

Liebe Carola,
ich kann verstehen, was dich an dem Vorlagen-Foto gefesselt hat. Ich habe früher auch viel gemalt oder gezeichnet - jetzt tobe ich meine "Mal-Gelüste" fast ausschließlich bei der Gartengestaltung aus... oder beim Fotografieren und Kreieren von Collagen. Aber früher nahm ich mir ebenfalls oft ein Foto zum Vorbild und versuchte es entweder möglichst originalgetreu zu kopieren (was selten gelang) oder "etwas Eigenes" daraus zu machen (womit ich erfolgreicher war ;-)) Deine Zeichnung besitzt einen eigenen Reiz, eine eigene Ausstrahlung, und gefällt mir sehr gut.
Gut gefallen hat mir auch dein Rezept aus dem vorigen Post - wir lieben Gerichte, die uns eine kleine "Reise" erlauben und dieses passt gut in unser Beuteschema ;-)
Alles Liebe und ein möglichst angenehmes Wochenende,
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/07/blackout-teil-1-wie-gro-ist-die-gefahr.html

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While your rendition is different then the original artwork, that's no problem, Carola, as long as you are satisfied with the result.

DVArtist said...

Carola, I am so happy your found the Yemenite woman and finished her. She does have a story in her face and eyes. I think she is beautiful. Thank you for joining Friday Face Off.

sirkkis said...

Love her kind expression. Well done!

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad that you revisited this beauty. I hope you are too - and thank you for the link to your inspiration.

Mae Travels said...

Very nice drawing you have done today! I like the way you used shading.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Very nice

kathyinozarks said...

I love her she has personality

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Surely one of the very rewarding things about art and artists is the licence for creativity and I find your interpretation of this Yemeni girl very appealing, Carola. As best one can judge from an image on a computer monitor it seems to have been completed with many delicate touches, with careful attention to shading, tone and texture. I suspect that you are quite pleased with it and like all good artists will use it as a launch pad to increased finesse and the quest for perfection. Well done!

Gretchen Joanna said...

I also can't stop looking at that face...

Veronica Lee said...

Such a captivating face!
I love your rendition of her.

Happy Sunday, Carola.


Andrea @ From The Sol said...

She is similar to the original, but I think she has a kinder face. She is beautiful and you really gave her character and depth. It was worth going back and reviving this old friend ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Lowcarb team member said...

I think it's very nice.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

I find her mesmerizing.

pam nash said...

Very nice - in my opinion better than the pin interest version because yours shows your feelings there.

Rain said...

I love her eyes!!! I think you did a wonderful piece!! ♥

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

You've done a good job. I find charcoal a tricky medium to work with.