Friday, July 15, 2022

Cat Face

 

I have always loved the look of cats when they peek around a corner, wall, building... there is something curious and vulnerable about them at the same time. When I found a picture on Pinterest of a black cat in exactly that pose I knew I had to try and paint it.

Of course I did NOT draw the cat myself. I printed out that particular photo and traced the outer shape of the cat on textured paper in the size of an ATC. I knew that I didn't want a black cat - I was thinking purple and magenta shades. And I wanted to use watercolors - I only have a travel kit of Winsor & Newton watercolors with 14 half pans which means I need to mix my colors most of the time. Here I used only two colors and worked on the different shades with more or less water and also let the colors run into each other. I do like the effect. The eyes of the cat are a little bit too green, but I just wasn't able to mix a much lighter, warmer shade. The backgound is made with yellow ochre and a little bit of burnt sienna, and I used a paw stamp with distress ink as the final touch.

I'm linking this to Nicole's Friday Face Off.

There's something weird going on with the cats in our neighborhood. Within two weeks two cats on our block have been found dead. There were no visible injuries, no bites, nothing. We suspect they were poisoned - most probably by rat poison or snail or ant bait. Even fertilizer can be a culprit. Thankfully I have nothing of these in my garden, but I am still concerned about my permanent residents. Usually they don't leave my garden and they are too old or lazy to chase any rodents or birds (which I am very happy about; I still remember when I twice rescued a hummingbird out of Kibeau's mouth; the second time the little bird was flying out of the mouth the moment I had opened it). We just hope that no one intentionally poisons them. Not liking cats is one thing; killing them is a completely different matter.

Otis doesn't have a care in the world (except for getting fed on time) - who knew that a hard rock can be such a comfortable pillow?



13 comments:

DVArtist said...

That is too bad about the cats. However, your drawing is amazing. Your certainly captured "cat" in the face and especially the eyes. Thank you for joining Friday Face Off.

carol l mckenna said...

Oh this is a wonderful kitty painting and sweet photo too ~ Xo

Thanks for understanding my loss ~ Xo


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

kathyinozarks said...

I love your kitty card-too sweet.
Hope they learn of what is happening to the cats in your area-sad

Elephant's Child said...

Despite having a definite weakness for black cats I love your creation.
That does sound like poison which is sad and bad. Poison is so indiscriminate...

sirkkis said...

You created a sweet cat. I like the colors and smart shadings. Your Otis looks so cute sleeping in the garden, thank you for sharing.
Happy weekend 💚🐈

NatureFootstep said...

if it was a hot day the rock was probably chilling Otis off. :)
I love your painted cat It is a fine pose for it. :) And te row of paws are balancing it.

Gene Black said...

I absolutely love this purple and blue cat.

Christine said...

Love your cat face, well done!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Good morning Supreme Artist, Bartz: I am sure you will realize that it is quite unfair that all this creative talent is lodged in one person, with the rest of us struggling to even draw a straight line on a piece of paper. Wonderful creation. Very well done. My envy is exceeded only by my appreciation! Best wishes - David

My name is Erika. said...

I think your kitty is perfect in blues and purples. It makes those green eyes pop right off the page. And I'm with you about kitties peaking around the corner. Otis does look comfy. If only we could get as comfy as cats do anyplace we chose to relax. Have a great weekend. Hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

That's scary about the dead cats. I hate that anyone would poison them but you never know -- people can get pretty weird about stuff like that. Yes, I hope your resident guests stay safe.

Your cat painting is wonderful. I might have to try that technique of blending the colors sometime. I've done it on other things and even though I've done colorful cats, never done a technique like that with them. Beautifully done!

Lowcarb team member said...

What a shame about the dead cats, hope it can be sorted.

Otis does look very comfortable and I do like your cat painting.

All the best Jan

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

I love that too, when they peek around the corner. I really love your kitty, the colours have blended in so nicely. I am so sorry to hear about the cats in your neighbourhood. Otis certainly is very comfortable and doesn't have a care in the world. It always amazes me how they can sleep on the hardest of surfaces.

-Soma