Monday, July 4, 2022

T is for Thriving Summer Garden

 

In summer our gardens often look a bit tired. May usually is a striking month in the garden with blooming flowers galore, but when July rolls around some plants already look a bit spent. This year, however, is different - maybe because of the rather late rain in April we had. I'm out there working in the dirt every day and I take so much delight the way the garden looks right now.

Let me show you some of my favorites.

The hebe I bought several years ago at the jail which has a great program where inmates work in the gardens and grow and nurture drought tolerant plants that they sell to the public. You have to make an appointment and go through security, but the selection (and the prices) are excellent. At first I had planted the hebe in the front garden. It was very slow growing and when it finally displayed a few buds, the deer came rushing in and nibbled them up. In the following fall I moved the plant to the back where no deer can enter and it finally took off.

Coyote mint  (Monardella villosa) is a California native wildflower, drought tolerant and loved by bees. It's a rather low growing plant, sprawling widely, sometimes climbing. It grows well in both sun and shade. I can't imagine a garden without it.

One of my most beloved favorites is another California native, Red Buckwheat (Eriogonum grande var. rubescens). It is low growing with brilliant reddish pink flowers that bees go crazy over. It pretty much doesn't need summer water and thrives on neglect. I'm planning to plant more of them in the fall.

A drought tolerant garden is not complete without lavender - I have several varieties, but my favorite one is "Provence" (Lavandula x intermedia 'Provence'). The bees agree with me.

You might notice that I have many flowers in purple and magenta shades. They do mix so well with each other. In the garden bed in front of my kitchen Clary sage (Salvia sclarea) mingles with lavender, some other salvias, butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii) and Shasta daisies (Leucanthemum x superbum).


But I also have plants in other colors, of course. Clockwise from top left: Helianthus annus Sunbelievable 'Brown Eyed Girl' (an annual sunflower), Verbena bonariensis, Shasta daisy (Leucanthemum x superbum), and Trumpet vine (Campsis radicans).

I also love small trees that don't need much water, but give some shade and thus cool down the garden a bit. Blue Elderberry (sambucus mexicana) is a California native with cream colored flowers in flat topped clusters.

My favorite tree, however, (I have four blue and one white) is the Chaste tree (Vitex agnus-castus). This one is "Sensational" - it attracts a wide array of pollinators. No extra summer water needed.

A hollyhock (my guilty pleasure) grows right into it.

The garden wouldn't be complete if there weren't some seedpods that I left standing on purpose - poppies (Papaver somniferum) and Love-in-a-Mist (Nigella damascena).


My neighbor's Mimosa tree (Albizia julibrissin) is reaching over the fence, gently waving in the breeze. While I wouldn't grow one in my garden, I do take delight in it.

It probably comes as no surprise that I love to spend a lot of time in the garden. Yes, there is an enourmous amount of work to be done - work I love to do - but I also enjoy sitting in the shade of a tree, reading a book, writing in my journal or knitting. A drink is always there - here I'm having Karkade, the cool hibiscus drink I first had in Egypt 26 years ago and that I have been making every summer. It is so good. This is for Elizabeth's T Tuesday.

I hope you enjoyed this tour through my summer garden. Come autumn and it will look different again.















19 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am loving your garden. Ours also often looks tired in summer, but we have had rain. And more rain. And now in winter I am finally getting to (some of) the work I should have been doing earlier.

kathyinozarks said...

Your garden is so beautiful I really love everything. You have a great vision. I had all these ideas and the weather just didn't cooperate this year-so much rain and cold through end of May and then extreme heat with no rain. so right now I am just working on keeping my perennials alive. Yours is an inspiration Happy T

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your garden looks wonderful, Carola. So much can be done even in a dry area by choosing plants that tolerate mild drought conditions. As you say a garden is a lot of work and one has to love doing it. Miriam does most of it in our house, but I think it gets a little more daunting and back-breaking for her each year. We have mainly native perennials and they come up faithfully each year, although some have a tendency to spread more than we might like. And yes, reading a book outside with a cold drink is one of the rewards.

nwilliams6 said...

Beautiful garden, Carola. Enjoyed all your pictures. Here you would melt with the heat and humidity (not to mention the bugs). Your book looks interesting as does that drink! Happy t-day! Hugz

My name is Erika. said...

Your garden is lovely Carola. I like a garden that looks like it was meant to be where it is. You have some great flowers.And it looks like someone nearby has honey bees from that one photo. and I recently learned the word for gardening without the need to use water from your faucet-xeriscaping. I think you've been successful.I need to go look up Karkade. I like hibiscus drinks and I'm curious. Have a wonderful T day and week ahead. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

What a fabulous garden. You have some amazing dry-climate plantings. We have lots of rain and hard winters, so our vegetation has to be entirely different.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Jackie McGuinness said...

I think our gardens look their best in June. I love hibiscus drinks in Mexico.

Jeanie said...

Since I've been out of commission I've missed so many posts that I'll never catch up. But WOW! This is downright gorgeous -- and loads of very hard work!

Divers and Sundry said...

What an inviting garden you have! Daisies are a favorite of mine, but they haven't taken well to my patio space.

I've never heard of Karkade, but it looks refreshing. Happy T Tuesday

Barb said...

Your garden is just the best, Carola. I love the colors and the textures of your plantings. That is a gorgeous colored Hollyhock! My gardens are just starting to bloom, and the plants will never get as lush as yours because of the short growing season. I have poppies, shasta daisies, and forget me nots blooming right now with some pansies, dead nettle, and sedum coming up. Enjoy your summer!

Lisca said...

Oh what a lovely garden you have! I can imagine you spend a lot of time there. Even when you try to sit and relax, there is always something to do. I was always pottering, when I had a nice garden in the UK. Here it is too hot and dry to grow anything except cacti and palm trees. I lie. We have roses, and geraniums that thrive and also almond and olive trees. We are trying to grow fruit trees and have managed to grow some cherries. But we need to water daily.
Thanks for taking me through your gorgeous garden.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

CJ Kennedy said...

Your garden and photos are just beautiful. Like flipping through an issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine. Happy T Day

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry, I have been MIA due to my internet being offline.

I LOVE your drought tolerant garden, Carola. If I ever get rid of my tarp that hopefully will kill the bamboo I planted, I want to move these herbs to be more cohesive.

I wish I had your weather and my herbs would overwinter outside. Sadly, they will not. I love your choice of color that also goes well with your incredible drought tolerant plants. BTW, are you familiar with xeriscaping?

Your tea sounds wonderful. I love hibiscus, but my tea never gets this dark and beautiful. Thanks for sharing your incredible summer garden and your hibiscus drink with us for T this Tuesday, dear.

Kate Yetter said...

A beautiful garden! I would never want to leave. That hibiscus drink sounds interesting, do you have a recipe you could share?
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Sharon Madson said...

I love your garden! In fact, I am jealous! :) Thank you for the lovely tour. That is great you even get to enjoy your neighbor's mimosa tree, too. Happy T day!

jinxxxygirl said...

Carola i'm loving your garden! I need to take notes as i need drought tolerant flowers too.. but they have to be cold hardy too as here in West Central Texas we can get cold.. I apologize for being so late to the party.. I got called out of town at the last minute.. If you can believe it i had to help round up cattle!! Craziness... so i just got home.. its after 10pm.. to bed for me then up early to go for a walk.. take care! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

Gretchen Joanna said...

It is just the kind of garden I love. <3 Thank you for all the glimpses of beautiful plants growing in harmony. I bet the bees do love it there!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh my! Your garden is so beautiful- well done for all the hard work you put in to get it to have more colour, Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Empire of the Cat said...

I LOVE your garden! It must be nice to have reliable weather lol, I used to enjoy my garden in Australia for the same reason, but here we get a LOT of rain and wind and things get battered by both.I love how many tall plants you have, my neighbour has a lot too and it makes the garden so interesting. I also love the flowers on the mimosa tree, not sure I've seen that before.I have a butterfly bush too but it hasn't started flowering yet, it needs more sun! Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx