Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Swedish Design

 

For decades - starting in the 1990s - I have been buying my clothes from the Swedish company Gudrun Sjõdén. Their clothes are all made of natural fibers, often sustainably sourced, many of them in floral patterns and beautiful colors - and they are of very good quality. The designs are created by the woman who gave the company its name, and they are not following any fashion trends. The clothes are bold and need a certain confidence to be worn. Many of them I have had for years.


Most of their stores are actually NOT in Sweden, but in Germany - 11 of them. Compare that to 3 in Sweden, and 1 in Oslo, Helsinki, Copenhagen, London and New York each. During my last trip to Germany, I was very lucky to be in two cities with Gudrun stores - Munich and Freiburg.

Their stores are pure eye candy - it's almost like art. Beside clothes they also sell beautiful homeware like tablecloths and mugs.




Fortunately for me they do most of their business online. Receiving their catalogs is always a bit of a feast because these catalogs are extremely well done. No glossy paper, but beautiful photography.

I regularly use the catalogs for collage papers and inspiration.

I want to paint these beautiful ladies -


Aren't these Scandinavian houses and doors pretty? And what about those notebooks that adorn a corner of a page in the catalog?


There is so much inspiration that I think this deserves a linkup to Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date. It's worthwhile to check out all the other posts.

A couple weeks ago my neighbor brought me some plums from her garden. I considered what to do with them and went on a search for a good recipe for a pie. I found this recipe for a plum clafoutis, tried it - and we liked it very much!



19 comments:

Jeanie said...

I have never bought her clothes but I love them and the wonderful colors. I didn't realize she did other accessories as well and I think I like those as much or better. Your plum clafouti looks fabulous!

Iris Flavia said...

Certainly I thought of... IKEA. And I admit I´ve never heard of Gudrun Sjõdén!
Oh, boy, a dangerous store! So many beautiful things. I will NOT google if Braunschweig has one ;-)
Love their colors. Also that green bench - would fit to my swing.
The catalogues are very pretty, too - please... I have too much stuff already.
Ingo sure would love the plums!

Elephant's Child said...

Wow. They look beautiful and all natural fibres is a HUGE plus.
Your clafouti looks excellent too.

Valerie-Jael said...

The clothes look good, although I am not a friend of patterns. Stripes, yes, but that's about it! Your plum clafoutis looks wonderful! Hugs, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, thank you to introducing us to this company, will check them out. your delicious looks delicious!

Gillena Cox said...

Wow, thanks for taking me shopping
Luv your smiling faces


Happy Thursday

much💚love

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am sure that you are happy to have found a line of clothing that you like and are satisfied with time after time, Carola, and it is a good thing that sustainability is a consideration for the manufacturer. Are the clothes made in Sweden or do they source their production offshore, do you know? As for me, I am dedicated to the thrift store which is where I get most of my clothes, and spend very little money. I need a new pair of hiking boots and those I will shop for carefully, and pay whatever it takes for quality. I will do my level best to avoid buying anything made in China, and that is not always easy.

Christine said...

I love anything Swedish thanks for sharing and the plum clafoutis looks delicious

Christine said...

I love anything Swedish and the plum clafoutis looks delicious

DVArtist said...

Wow! I love all the bright colors. I would love to have some of the dishes. Nice doorways and the plum dish is something different for sure. Glad you liked it.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Carola, I too am not familiar with this designer, but agree the styles and other items are eye catching and lovely. The plum clafoutis was not only colorful but I am sure it was even better when eaten. Most things are better cooked in cast iron too.

DUTA said...

The orange shoes are exactly the design I need. Pity we don't have a branch of the above swedish store!

My name is Erika. said...

I used to like quiet colored clothes, but as I get older I do like color, especially bright green. I see a lot of that in your photos. I'm glad you were able to find 2 shops to visit. I also love that photo of your and your daughter, And you asked about my daughter's wedding plans in your comment. My daughter and her fiance are planning their own wedding, and it is going to be very small. I haven't even been officially informed when it will be, but they are having a "cookout" the first weekend of October which is suspect will be the big event. It's kind of strange to be out of the planning, but in another way, it is her wedding and they should have it like they want it. I hope you have a great weekend Carola. Hugs-Erika

NatureFootstep said...

beautiful cloth and other items. I should know about her but I cant´t remember. But I recognise the patterns. :) I do live in Sweden :)

Tom said...

...the colors are amazing. My wardrobe consists of old jeans and t shirts. Enjoy your weekend.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Oh I love a good catalog ... and the clothes are beautiful and, like you said, take some confidence to wear them. I love the orange shoes ... what a hoot that would be. Thank you for introducing us to this awesome artistic retailer. And Plum Clafoutis ... I had to look it up. I had never heard the term or seen one that I remember, but they look so good ... certainly good enough to eat. I have learned a lot from you today :) Thank you !!

Andrea @ From the Sol

Veronica Lee said...

WOW! They all look very pretty!

I absolutely love the vibrant colors.

Hugs and blessings, Carola.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, those Swedish tea cups are so charming. This shop has some unique and cute things in it. The clothes are bright and cheerful, which I like. A cute picture of you and your daughter, and that green bench is perfect for Summer. Would love to browse in here for an hour.....or three. ; )

~Sheri

Gretchen Joanna said...

I don't think I have seen a print catalog but I have looked online a LOT - but never bought anything. You have prompted me to take another look right now!! Thanks for sharing all those beautiful examples.