Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Misty Morning at the Lake

For Rain's TADD I don't have any art to show - my art today are the photos I took yesterday morning when I walked around the lake. I finally had taken my big camera with me - the last few times I was here I saw so many birds, but couldn't really capture them with my cell phone. I have a good camera in my phone, but it certainly is not THAT good.

It was a misty morning like we have so often here, when the fog from the coast is hanging low. Since temperatures are much lower on those mornings and the moisture in the air is higher, I prefer them to a bright sunny morning (that's something I like in the winter). It is very typical weather for our area.

The sun was just peeking through the fog and the trees.


It is so beautiful when the mist hovers over the lake. I sat on my favorite bench for quite some time, journaling and just enjoying this delightful morning. The birds that I was hoping for, though, kept hiding - as if they knew that I brought my camera! Only the mallards were kind enough to make an appearance in a very safe distance.


Slowly, the fog started to rise. Isn't it beautiful how the water sparkles in the few rays of sunshine?


And then the fog just burned off - the entire process in the following three pictures took less than ten minutes (maybe this fits the "movement" prompt in today's TADD?)



Life on the lake became busier.

Eventually I left the bench and continued my walk. I had given up hope to see any herons this morning - usually there are Black-crowned Night Herons and Green Herons here, who are favorites of mine. But it seems today they weren't in the mood to show themselves.

Instead I first heard and then saw this lovely woodpecker. I always have difficulties identifying woodpeckers; I believe this is a Downy woodpecker, but I'm confident that David will correct me if I'm wrong.

Then I heard the distinctive call of the Red-shouldered Hawk, but I couldn't see it. It kept me company for a few minutes until I suddenly saw him (her?) flying towards and landing in the top of this tree (I'm even worse in identifying trees). But what was that? Right behind it was a second hawk, landing right beside No. 1. I felt like winning the lottery.

I took a million photos until they were tired playing model for me and took off. I felt quite elated when I walked on - what a wonderful sight these birds had been.

There were unmistakable signs of autumn - my favorite season is just around the corner!

There was some rustling in the underbrush - our state bird, the California Quail.

On a shady trail sunlight lit up the pale-yellow flower heads of fennel. I love this kind of light.

And then, when I least counted on it, there it was standing by the side of the lake, waiting for its morning snack - a juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron! I love love love these birds.

This was such a wonderful morning. 

So today, I went to the farmers market in the morning. Wednesday and Saturday mornings are our famers market days, with the market on Wednesday being much smaller than the one on Saturday. Even though there are by far fewer vendors, I tend to prefer Wednesdays for the simple reason that there is much more time to talk. I learned so much about the different kinds of garlic, e.g. that you have to use much less of "Red German" than it states in a recipe because it's quite strong - and it is the one I always buy. It has such fantastic flavor.

This time of year is simply the best - the abundance of vegetable and fruit is incredible. Look what I brought home from the farmers market this morning:

Even Kibeau approves!

Unfortunately, the "mushroom guy" wasn't there today. He has the best selection of mushrooms - however, I still mostly buy cremini and shiitake and sometimes chanterelle. Recently I made (crooked) vol-au-vents with my creamy mushroom sauce - looks odd, tastes delicious. A glass of dry rosé from a local winery is a fine companion. Bon appétit.




 

18 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Your photos ARE art.
Thank you so much for sharing that truly delightful morning. I would have loved to have been there with you.

My name is Erika. said...

That misty lake is beautiful Carola. I love morning fog and the look it gives. I don't usually walk with my camera either, and I know what you mean about a camera phone. I have a great camera phone, but it isn't my big camera either. You did see some wonderful birds and views too. I hope you have a great Thursday and the rest of your Wednesday too. hugs-Erika

Christine said...

Gorgeous photos and the mushrooms look good

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You had a fabulous morning at the lake, Carola, and your woodpecker is indeed a Downy. So many other birds came to visit too. As you point out, there is a guaranteed way to see the rare and unusual, the interesting and the beautiful - just leave your camera at home - or even worse forget to put the memory card in! Our local farmer's market is open on Thursdays and Saturdays and I always get there really early before the crowds start to build up. By midday you can hardly move! I can taste that garlic from here! I was searching for vol au vent shells here recently and couldn't find any. I make creamed salmon as a filling. One of Miriam's sisters was visiting and along with a Greek salad it make a nice lunch. I had to settle for serving it on a toasted English muffin. Hugs - David

Gillena Cox said...

Always i'm fasinated by birds at those topmost branches. There is an old mango tree across the street where i live and when the kiskadee flies to the top and perches and i look in amazement.
Happy Thursday

Much💖love

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a wonderful experience you shared of your experience in watching the fog over the lake, Carola.The first photos and the final ones were my favorites. It was nice that dual hawks posed on that treetop for you and I too would have taken so many photos. You are right that cell phones are good, but there is nothing like a larger hand-held digital camera. One of these days I may get another one after getting rid of ones I owned in the past. You had a great day at the farmers market and I can well imagine the joy you have cooking with the fresh produce. I was wondering how the drought is affecting farmers in CA as it has been here in NH and if you are finding less produce and higher prices.

DVArtist said...

Truly this is a beautiful post. Your photos are amazing. The basket of veggies look so good. I am going to the Farmer's Market tomorrow. I hope I find some goodies I can't grow myself.

Jeanie said...

What do you mean, you don't have any art to share? Your b/w photos are magnificent -- a fabulous series. And I'd love the recipe for the vol au vents if you'd care to share. They look wonderful!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I love a foggy and misty morning. They are very mysterious and lovely. Although I don't like driving in them. Your misty photos at the lake are so pretty, and I especially like that second one. The woodpeckers are fun to watch, and I just saw one pecking at my tree in my front yard today. And the Hawk is a grand bird for sure. It's wonderful that you saw two of them. I'll have that mushroom dish you made now. ; ) It looks delicious.

~Sheri

Mae Travels said...

Your sequence of photos showing the fog lifting and revealing the mountains is wonderful. I enjoyed your walk very much.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...these images are gorgeous Carola, we are at the time too when foggy morning are common. Changes are in the air.

pam nash said...

You take the most beautiful pictures.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

We have so much in common ... like you I love the morning fog on a lake. We used to live on the lake and some of my favorite pictures are with that misty look and the air is so moist and refreshing. Your pictures are so balanced and beautiful ... you have that good eye, for sure. I especially love the Dragonflies and their perfect reflection... that is a winner. And yes, the little male Downy is adorable. The Red Shoulder hawks ... what wonderful luck you have and having the right camera, this was meant to be. We don't see many Red Shoulder Hawks where I live ... the Red Tail Hawks are so dominate. I think in the years when I was volunteering at the Rapture Rescue we only had one Red Shoulder Hawk come in ... and then a funny story. The Red Shoulder Hawk's tail feathers were badly damaged so we had to imp new feathers in, but there were no Red Shoulder Hawk tail feathers in our supply , so we used Cooper Hawk tail feathers ... I took a picture of her when we released her ... I will post it sometime to show you. It was humorous, but they worked for her and she did fine until the next year when she grew in her own tail feathers.
Like you, the fall is my favorite time of year, not only for the beautiful colors, but for the refreshing weather. I love your Black Heron. I have never seen one in our area, though I know they are about, more up in the Wisconsin area. We do have Green Herons though and they are awesome as well. Your fresh vegies look wonderful and Kibeau is such a cutie. Our little female (Buffy) rescue loves vegies and will try to steal lettuce from my plate when I am eating salad. She was dumped as a kitten and I think she must have eaten greens to survive. Well, enough said, Carola ... This was a wonderful post. Your photography is magnificent and your vol-au-vents with mushroom sauce looks yummy ... will you be posting a recipe? Stay well, Carola ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful, I on the way to work in Wolfsburg often stopped the car to capture foggy scenes.
And my Mom must be right. Take an umbrella - it won´t rain. Take the good cam - birds will hide, it´s pure logic!

But the man in the boat makes up for it! And you got your birds after all :-)

You´re like Ingo. At the market he talks and talks!
Kibeau is cute.
Your dish looks a bit like ragout fin. Thank you, now I crave that! ;-)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I had the best time walking (well, scrolling) through your beautiful morning! I'm ordinarily not a fan of foggy mist, but your photos made it beautiful -- and it was a wonderful sequence with the light and color rising from it as you watched -- I'm so glad your photos made it feel as if I were there! Loved the young crowned heron (one of my favorites also ). It really *was* a perfect morning. And later the food looked wonderful too. The one thing I really miss about the apartment we had in downtown Eugene is being able to walk to the Farmer's Market twice a week. We can still drive there or to any of the several Farmer's stands in our area, but it isn't the same as a walk to pick up those mushrooms (and other goodies).

Rostrose said...

Hachz, Carola,
das war richtig schön mit dir am See. Zuerst der mystisch-neblige Beginn, so stimmungsvoll, dann das langsame Auflösen des Dunstes und danach all diese tollen Vogelsichtungen. Ich kann deine Glücksgefühle bestens nachvollzehen! Und dann dein Pilzgericht, da wäre ich auch dabei gewesen, sieht köstlich aus! :-)
Schönes Wochenende und alles Liebe, Traude
PS:
Danke für deinen Hinweis, dass man vom Linkup auf Elizabeths Seite nicht zu meinem Posting kam, ich habe das im Anschluss geändert!!

carol l mckenna said...

Divine series of photos ~ love the kitty and the mist and fog photos the best ~ thanks, Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days ~ Xo

A ShutterBug Explores ~
aka (A Creative Harbor)

NatureFootstep said...

wow, I love your misty shots and the beautiful world of wildlife. I have not seen a misty morning in many years now. I live in town and when I wake up it is too late to go out of town to see some.. Beautiful.