Sunday, August 21, 2022

Alsatian Villages

 

The town hall in Barr

Last week I took you to Strasbourg, and today we're traveling on from there deeper into Alsace. This region is characterized by charming villages and large vineyards - and a very eventful history when the region belonged to France and then to German states and then to France again and then to the German Reich (1871) and so on and on. Since the end of World War II it has been part of France, however, with their own local law in certain areas that differs significantly from the rest of France. Germanic and French influences are blended; today, most Alsatians speak French, but you still hear a lot of German as well as Alsatian which is an Alemannic dialect closely related to Swabian (and therefore, not unfamiliar to me). German is taught already in kindergarten in Alsace, and German elementary kids east of the Rhine in that area learn French. 

We first stopped in Barr, a small town with cobblestone streets, charming timber frame houses and narrow alleys.


One of the streets was decorated overhead with a long line of colorful butterflies. We couldn't find out what was the reason for this, so we simply enjoyed it.

One of the windows for a wine shop was decorated with decals that showed the traditional costume of the region. It bears some similarity with the traditional costume that is worn in the Black Forest (Germany has more traditional clothing beside Dirndl and Lederhosen).

We followed the Route de Vins d'Alsace which meandered along backroads and, at least for the first part, didn't touch any of the more famous places. We were pretty much on our own in the small towns and villages we visited.

We first drove through Dambach-la-Ville and then decided to stop and explore the sleepy little town a little bit more. It is bordered by two old town gates.

Again, we walked along narrow alleys, crossed beautiful squares and saw many old buildings. There was almost no one out there - it was siesta time. We had all the time in the world to explore this charming little place.




Beautiful archways were almost everywhere that allowed views into courtyards, small doors in old walls, pretty windows with shutters (and the shutter holders I had written about earlier), and fountains made out of barrels.



These two windows were in the basement where the cellar is. We are not quite sure what the function of these openings are. They are too high for shoving coals in the cellar for heating in the winter; maybe they are there for air ciculation in a root cellar.


We discovered little details everywhere.


We finally reached the upper town gate and saw who made their home on top of it. When I think of Alsace, I always think of storks as well.


The last time I had seen storks was in 2018 in Turkey, so I was very happy to see some again. 

Eventually we went back to the parking lot right next to the old town wall.


The wine - an Alsatian rosé - was delicious after all the exploring. With this, I cheer to the T gang that comes together for T Tuesday that is so generously hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard.




19 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you so much for taking us traveling with you. Even on screen those flutterbyes warmed my heart. And of course I loved the stork.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is a lovely post, Carola. I have always said I am geographically challenged, so learning more about the various places you traveled and visited was gratifying. I really enjoyed traveling with you along the narrow streets of Dambach-la-Ville. It was fun to see the beauty of the area, too. Of course, the little details were certainly special. And that stork was unbelievable. I've never seen a real stork. To me they seem mythical, like unicorns.

Your wine is a beautiful color and I had to laugh because Kaefer looks like she has already indulged! Thanks for sharing your visit to the sleepy Alsatian villages and your rose with us for T this Tuesday, dear.



Mae Travels said...

The few days that I've spent in Alsace were always beautiful, and I loved the architecture and the feeling of the little towns. Thank you for posting such lovely photos to remind me.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

This was a lovely post and I really enjoyed it. I do really enjoy your travel posts. This is such a charming area and I loved seeing the stork-great nest.
The wine sounds delicious too

My name is Erika. said...

Alsace looks really lovely. It really looks like what you would see in an illustrated fairy tale. ANd I've always wanted to see storks nesting on rooftops. It was in a book I read a lot as a child. Now I know where to go to see that. You did have a wonderful trip Carola. I'm enjoying all your posts about your travels. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

Sharon Madson said...

I loved walking through the quaint streets with you. I love the butterflies and the stork. Happy T Day!

Iris Flavia said...

Swabian ... some memories of a flatmate here.
Great pic of you, oh, and that balcony above! Would love to see the inside of that house.
Nice deco in the street - looks like another great day in a beautiful place.
Happy T-Day.

Valerie-Jael said...

Alsace is indeed a very beautiful region. Love the street with the butterflies. we sometimes have storks wandering over the fields here. There's a big estate between here and Duisburg where they nest. Have a great T Day, hugs, Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Such a picturesque part of the world. Some of the houses look like gingerbread houses! This really was a great trip that you took, Carola, and to experience it all with your daughter was an added bonus. It would not surprise any of us if you said that you were itching to do it again! Better not talk about it too loudly or we'll all be wanting to join in! Best wishes - David

nwilliams6 said...

Wow - such visual treasures - all of it. I would love to visit there! I wish that new archecture had some of the charm from back in the day. Love all the things you capured.

Enjoyed seeing pictures of you and your sweet daughter too.

The wine looks fab.

Happy T-day, Carola. Hugz

Jackie McGuinness said...

Lovely photos! I love visiting these little towns!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a beautiful place! The architecture is stunning and I love the pretty butterflies 😊. Sorry I don't have too much time to visit today but I wanted to stop by to wish you a Happy T Day! Hugs

DVArtist said...

Wow! This is a fabulous looking place. I am always so happy to see photos of your lovely daughter too. Have a nice day today.

Divers and Sundry said...

The architecture is appealing, and it's interesting to hear some of the history of the region. Happy T Tuesday!

jinxxxygirl said...

I have so looked forward to coming to your blog for T Carola.. You take such beautiful pictures. Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

Kate Yetter said...

I loved seeing this storybook place and you captured it beautifully with your photos. Looks like a great place to visit.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

CJ Kennedy said...

The Fraktur house ad cobblestone streets are so pretty. Almost like walking through a fairytale. Happy T Day

Empire of the Cat said...

Alsace is lovely, what a lovely trip you have had with your daughter. I had a friend from the Black Forest who often turned up to work in traditional dress lol. I bet that rosé was delicious! Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

Jeanie said...

So charming! It looks like something from a fairy tale, Carola. I have ancestors from Alsace -- I think it was German during their time there but as you mentioned, it went back and forth so often, who knows? More research required! I would be in seventh heaven there!