Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Old Gates and Tomatoes from the Garden

 

When we explored those charming villages and small towns in Alsace (here and here), I noticed the many beautiful old gates. Doors or gates and windows are objects I love to photograph and of course I couldn't resist that urge with all this beauty right in front of me. I chose the ones that I liked the best for this post.


Not a gate, but a door and shutter next to each other was decidedly my favorite. I don't know what it is that I like so much about it. Maybe it was just how everybody walked past it without noticing this beauty.


Some gates were rather small...


... and some were even smaller.


This is my art for this week's TADD over at Rain. Now let's turn to the culinary delights.

I had planted my tomatoes - and other veggies - rather late this year, after we had come back from Germany. Therefore, my harvest started late as well. But now there are fresh tomatoes on the menu.


I made Pasta al Pomodoro. I found the recipe in the NYT Cooking section. It asks for a lot of tomatoes. The dish was good, but when I make it again I will spice it up since it was a bit plain. I think herbs would be wonderful in the sauce as well as more garlic. I served the dish with freshly grated parmiggiano.


If you are a NYT Cooking subscriber, you can find the recipe here. Very often you can't access the recipes without a subscription (it's hit and miss), so I also took a photo of the printed recipe. As you can see, in my kitchen some of the food always lands on the recipe.








16 comments:

DVArtist said...

Great photos and the meal looks great. I like more spicy food too. Have a nice evening.

Elephant's Child said...

I am endlessly fascinated by gates and doors.
And how I love fresh tomatoes. Those we can buy in the supermarkets here are a poor imitation.

DUTA said...

The tomatoes in the picture are a beauty!
I like the door wiht nr.9 on top. It has good colour and some lovely elements.

Lorrie said...

The door and gate photos are so interesting! I love photographing old doors, too. My garden is producing tomatoes these days, and that tomato pasta dish would be a good use of garden ripened tomatoes.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely photos! we have some of those tiny old doors here, they are evidently used for deliveries. Your tomatoes and recipes have me longing for your pasta dish! Hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Funny (small) gates - and beautiful non-the-less.
Those tomatoes look great! And yummmm for parmiggiano!
Look at my printed recipes, LOL...

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is not hard to see why these doors and gates hold fascination for you, Carola. They are not only objects of beauty, with history oozing from their very fibres, they represent the human experience in so many ways. Doors open and close throughout our lives; the ones we choose to travel through dictates our path in life. Some look through a window and see only the dirty cobblestones below, others see the pleasing vista beyond. Your tomatoes look fabulous. We didn't grow any, but they have been good here this year and we have used them in salads, especially caprese which I have made several times now. The weekend is almost upon us. Enjoy! Hugs - David

My name is Erika. said...

Hurrah for summer tomatoes. Mine are always late also, but I'm picking now which is exciting. And I love those gates. What a fun post Carola. Happy September. hugs-Erika

Willkommen auf meiner Kreativseite. said...

Wunderbare Fotos sind das wieder! Ich liebe es auch, Fenster und Türen zu fotografieren. Meine Sammlung ist auch schon recht groß. Irgendwann wollte ich mal einen großen Bilderrahmen mit all den Fotos füllen.... Vorerst bin ich aber immer noch am Sammeln. Gerade im Elsass entdeckt man viele reizvolle Türen, Tore und Fenster. Aber auch die Wirtshausschilder dort sind sehr fotogen.

Liebe Grüße
Renate

Gillena Cox said...

OMG those tomatoes are exciting and yummy looking. Nice collection of gates. Happy Thursday

Much💖love

Red Rose Alley said...

Love the gate with the red roses draping around it. It's so enchanting. And a cute photo of your daughter. Your tomatoes in your garden turned out nicely. There's nothing like home grown tomatoes. The pasta dish looks good. And a little parmesan cheese added to pasta is always delicious.

Wishing you happy September days, Carola.

~Sheri

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I love the pictures of the doors (gates) and even the little one. I wonder who uses it ... maybe a family dog? Anyway, great pics and good choices. Your tomatoes look awesome and your pasta makes my mouth water ... of course, I agree that a little garlic and herbs is always welcome in a pasta dish. Lovely post, Carola ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Lowcarb team member said...

Nice to see the different gates and doors ...
Those tomatoes look delicious.

Have a happy month of September.

All the best Jan

Christine said...

Lovely gates and beautiful tomatoes!

Tom said...

...I love doors too and you have a fabulous collection. We are enjoying tomatoes from my tomato jungle! Have a wonderful weekend.

NatureFootstep said...

wow, I have to agree. So beautiful gates. I am amazed you were able to find soo many of them. Glad you photographed them and shared them too. :)