Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Between Roots and Rings

 

Last week I participated in a 5 day creative challenge that Melanie Rivers hosted. These were very short challenges that could be done in less than 30 minutes, sometimes as short as 10 minutes, but of course if you wanted to spend 2 hours on one challenge, you could do that as well. The general subject was "trees".

We started out in creating four backgrounds (I forgot to take a photo of the fourth one) with torn papers, gesso and some paint or ink. That was the first challenge. In the second one we collected words and made a "poem" - oh well, mine isn't a poem after all, but just snippets that fit my mood at that time.

No. 3 included a photo - maybe you recognize this picture from my "Tree Face" post. I combined it with a beautiful quote that I have loved for a long time.

On Day 4 we were asked to draw a tree. Melanie encouraged us to find the picture of a tree on Pinterest or in a magazine. I took one of my own photos of my favorite tree at the lake. I used a graphite aquarelle pencil by Faber Castell.

My drawing does not resemble the original very much, but who cares?

This is for Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date - and of course we'll have food, too.

While we were in Alsace, we ate some of their local, but also more widely known French food. There are little restaurants everywhere that have lovely patios where you can eat and avoid the crowds inside.

Soup d'oignon - onion soup - is a very typical first course that is well known all over France. So far I was never able to make a really good one myself (you know, one that actually tastes "French").

One of the popular Alsatian dishes is Flammekueche (tarte flambée) which you can get in all kinds of variation. The original Flammekueche is with ham, onions and crème fraîche (left). The one in the middle has onions, pesto and escargots and on the right mushrooms are added as well.

A typical meal in a French restaurant has at least three courses, so what about dessert? Of course I had to have mousse au chocolat (right) which is my favorite. One evening I ordered a chocolat Liégois (left) - it was huge and I couldn't finish it. Good thing Kaefer was there to help me!

Which ones of the desserts would you have ordered?



16 comments:

Jeanie said...

LOVE the onion soup! I also love your tree -- this sounds like it was a fun series of workshops. How fun.

Elephant's Child said...

Love your creativity, and have long been a tree hugger. Desserts are a rare thing for me, though I do like a bit of chocolate.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

French Onion soup is one of the world's great treats. I have made it in the past and it was pretty good. When I lived in Québec City there were a couple of restaurants for whom it was a specialty, and it was really terrific. It was in one of them that I was told always to use Gruyere cheese and never anything else. So that's what I did! I have never visited Alsace, but to have it there in that wonderful courtyard must have been really special. The ambiance alone would enhance the flavour!

My name is Erika. said...

Your tree drawing is amazing Carola. That looks like such an interesting tree, all bent and knobby. And that class sounds nice also. Your cafe photo looks lovely. I would want to eat there. I think I might just have both desserts for a meal after my onion soup. I've been to France twice and never had French onion soup there, so I am curious, is it as salty as it is here in the US? I do recommend JUlia Child's onion soup recipe. It is delicious, but since I never had onion soup in France, I can't compare it. Hugs-Erika

pam nash said...

I like your tree backgrounds. The first shown is my favorite. Dessert ???? Would have to be the Chocolate Mousse!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Creative trees! And I love the black and red chairs on that patio too. Very visually arresting!

DVArtist said...

OMGosh! I love your tree art. Your photos are always so good too. Wonderful looking food and yes, Chocolate! Have a lovely day.

Christine said...

Lovely pages, and the food looks amazing!

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Beautiful pages. I love trees. Your tree from Day 4 certainly has a wild personality and I love it! Delicious food and a beautiful sitting area too! I would love a chocolat Liégois!

-Soma

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful artwork pages and awesome quotes and your tree art work is divine ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

stylefrontier said...

love your drawing and the food looks so yummy!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Carola! I did this challenge, too, will publish my pages when I have time. I found it very relaxing and it did me good! Love what you made! Hugs, Valerie

Tom said...

...the Flammekueche looks GREAT!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I love your favorite tree ... it is an awesome tree and yes, good on you for drawing it ... and yes it does resemble it in some ways. Love your French food especially the onion soup. It has been a long time since I have been to a restaurant that serves it ... I may have to rectify that sometime soon now that you have my mouth craving it. All three of the "Tarte Flambee" look awesome and the ingredients sound even more awesome. Like a fancy even more delicious version of pizza :) But the deserts are to die for ... I think I am with you and would order the Chocolat Liegois ... it looks sooo good. Rain is causing all kinds of problems by adding the food section to her TAD. I spend the whole day Thursday wanting to eat and not necessarily the kind of food I should be eating. Well, that doesn't take away from your lovely post, Carola ... Have a wonderful week :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Fundy Blue said...

I would choose the chocolate mousse, Carola, to follow enjoying the French Onion Soup and Flammekueche. I enjoyed your art, especially the tree. I spotted immediately which part of your favorite tree you focused on when you were drawing. The tree reminds me of the cottonwood trees that grow along the creek near where I live. Have a happy week!

NatureFootstep said...

I have to say, your favorite tree would easily become mine as well. I just LOVE that kind of trees. Like an old and wise identity. :)

Your drawing, as you mention, who cares. It has a lot of charm. :)