Monday, August 29, 2022

T is for Fairy Tale Town

 

Can you see the stork?

As I told you in my last T post, Alsace has many charming villages and small towns. One of the most popular without any doubt is Riquewihr. Tourists come here for its historical buildings; Riquewihr hasn't changed much since the 16th century. That, of course, is its charme and it is difficult not to be attracted by it.

Since I remembered it as a pretty crowded place, we planned our visit in the morning. We didn't have to look long for a parking spot and then made our way to the old town center.

This is Rue du Général de Gaulle where 90% of the crowds can be found. It leads to the upper town gate behind which are parts of the fortifications.


Since none of us liked the crowds, we explored the little alleys away from the main drag. As soon as we left this busy street we had the cobbled streets with the half-timbered houses almost to ourselves. And as you know, I really love those narrow alleys. They have so much character and don't need to be "proper" for the tourists.





We found another part of the old town wall in a forgotten corner.


Look at these beautiful shutters! It does make you think of gingerbread houses, right? Do you see the swallow nests? This reminds me so much of my childhood, when the swallows would build their nests under the eaves of our appartment building, right above our windows. I'm not sure which swallow I photographed in the second picture, I think it's a barn swallow, but I can be so wrong. David to the rescue, please! (Boy, was I wrong. David just let me know that this is a Common House Martin. Thank you, David!)



We discovered old wells that were merely decorative nowadays, old roof gables and gates that offered us a view into beautiful courtyards.




I loved the many shop- and restaurant signs. Announcing your business with these signs is an old tradition that you also find in Germany and many other European countries.



There were old doors and shutters, a simple and beautiful way to hang street lights and doors that were hiding behind an abundance of roses.




More courtyards...


You really feel like being in a fairy tale when you walk these little streets.

Look at this owl!


Eventually we ended up at the main street again for a last photo with my two favorite people. Without them, this would have been only half the fun.



We left Riquewihr to go on and visit Kaysersberg which has far less tourists than Riquewihr - and has always been my personal favorite. Pictures will follow in a later post, but since we are here gathering for Elizabeth's and Bleubeard's T Tuesday, I want to show you the glass of Riesling I had for a late lunch in Kaysersberg, accompanied by tarte flambée, of course. Cheers - or "Prost" as we say in German - to Elizabeth and Bleubeard!






23 comments:

Jeanie said...

This should be a travel brochure for this town! I would have hit the alleys too-- far more charming! Those shutters are so unique -- they don't make 'em like that anymore! And boy, you have a couple of real winner photos here, at least for me. That well. Beautiful. And the fabulous door with the roses. That tart flambe sounds to die for!

Mae Travels said...

Your photos are just wonderful. I know I have been to Riquewihr but I don't remember when it was, just how charming.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Hi Carola: I will comment in more detail later, but I just want to let you know the bird is a Common House Martin (Delichon urbicum).

My name is Erika. said...

What a wonderful fairytale town. And the roses growing everywhere too only makes it more fairytale. It looks like a lovely place to walk around, and just as great a photo spot too. You have some beautiful photos, and I think if I had visited I would have taken lots and lots. I like how they kept the wells too. I can't imagine what it would have been like to take your bucket and go get your water. I hope you have a lovely T day and week ahead Carola. Hugs-Erika

Kate Yetter said...

What a beautiful place. I love the signs, courtyards and medieval atmosphere. I love these places that you are sharing.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Sharon Madson said...

I love, love all the picturesque buildings and streets. So pretty. It was glad you could get there before the crowds and get a parking place, and then knew your way around to get off the busy street. Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos for T Day. Happy T Day!

DVArtist said...

Wow! These photos are simply stunning. Oh yes I will take the flambe' it looks so good. Have a lovely evening.

Elephant's Child said...

Just magical. Seeing the stork would have made my day.

Red Rose Alley said...

Love the window with the shutters and planter box, the decorative old wells, the Hugel sign and the characters, the climbing red roses draping around the door, and the tarte flambee! What a wonderful time!

~Sheri

Iris Flavia said...

Same here, always try to go before the crowds arrive.
I like to see this place, but honestly would not want to live there, not only cause of the tourists. Imagine there is a fire or such.
And it must be quite dark inside, no?
Parts of Braunschweig are still like that, most was destroyed in WWII.
The Magni-Quarter is all that´s left, maybe I should go early and take some pics?

The gingerbread-house is cute. Is there a big oven inside? ;-)
What do they sell where the "Storch" is, babies?!
Very cute details. And family pics. And food!
I hope for more - sounds/looks like a great holiday!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos. I so love these old and unspoiled towns, a real walk through history. And you tarte flambé looks magnificent! Happy T Day! Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The continuation of a great adventure, Carola, accompanied by the same good-looking people! What an absolutely enchanting part of the world this is. Last night on the national news here there was a whole feature on drinking alcohol and its deleterious effects. It's not so many years ago that a glass or two of red wine was touted as beneficial. Now we are advised to give up drinking completely and immediately! There is even a proposal to put warning labels on bottles as is done for cigarettes. There are whole societies in Europe where a glass of wine or two with dinner has been part of the culture forever. I wonder where this is all headed! Entire industries and vineyards that have been in existence for centuries will disappear. We are all going to die anyway so let's go to Alsace - or Sonoma - and go out with a glass of wine anyway! Prost! All the best - David

nwilliams6 said...

Oh my gosh, what a fabulou place and your pictures are all wonderful, Carola. It does look like it could be in a fairy tale for sure. Movie set perfect.

I love the details you pointed out - I wish we had time and inclination to put details like this in our homes and buildings today.

The food and drink look amazing too. Wow.

Happy Tday! Hugz

Jackie McGuinness said...

I am repeating myself by saying I love visiting Germany! Your photos are gorgeous. I am a big fan of those shop signs as well.

Divers and Sundry said...

That does look like scenes from a fairy tale! I was excited to spot the stork in the nest. Cool!

Happy T Tuesday

Willkommen auf meiner Kreativseite. said...

Hallo Carola,
hach was für schöne Bilder von Riquewihr! Einige könnten direkt von mir sein *lach* Wir sind öfter in dieser Gegend auf dem Campingplatz vor Riquewihr. Mitte September werden wir auch wieder dort sein. Ich freu mich schon wieder darauf. Auch wenn wir schon oft dort waren, man entdeckt immer wieder Neues. Nur die Eule, die habe ich noch nicht entdeckt. Auch wir lassen die Hauptstraße immer schnell hinter uns und bummeln durch die Nebengassen. Auch ein Spaziergang durch die Weinberge hoch zur Burg ist immer wunderschön. Kaysersberg kenne ich auch gut. Dort kann es aber auch voll werden. Da hattet ihr wohl Glück. Alles in allem ist das Elsass immer eine Reise wert. Zum Glück haben wir nicht so weit dorthin. Knapp 200 km und wir sind in einer anderen Welt!
Liebe Grüße aus dem heißen Deutschland (ich glaube, dieser Sommer endet nie...)
Renate

Rostrose said...

Carola, du siehst mich ganz verzückt deine Fotos anhimmeln - das ist ja wirklich ein Märchenort! Leider haben wir Riquewihr nicht besucht, als wir 2011 im Elsass waren - sehr schade! Aber vielleicht kommt es ja noch. Flammkuchen haben wir jedenfalls dort gegessen ;-)
Herzliche rostrosige Grüße,
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/08/blackout-teil-3-noch-fragen-offen.html

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm having trouble leaving comments, but I was quite impressed with the beautiful images you captured in the tiny back streets. Loved the beautiful doors, flowers, and walls. To top is it all, I loved the tarte flambee and the glass of Riesling you shared with us for T this Tuesday, dear Carola.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to mention, the Spice Merchant roasts all their beans, so if you go on a day they are roasting, it is heaven on earth.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a lovely place, your photographs are wonderful to see.

All the best Jan

pearshapedcrafting said...

My sister in law tells me that we should visit Alsace- she doesn't take photos but seeing yours really makes me want to visit! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Carola, sorry I am late. You asked how I managed to read all those books in a month but the answer is simple - I let other people read them to me haha = audiobooks. So anytime I am not using my ears, I have an audiobook plugged in, especially during arty sessions. I love this little town, it's so pretty with cobblestones and the wooden shutters and that cute little blue bird - I don't know what it is - and all those shop signs. I love those, I wish they used them here, they are so much nicer than flashing neon signs lol. Sorry for my lateness, end of month is always a busy time for me. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful town. It does look like something out of a fairytale. The shop signs are so fun. Happy T Day