Thursday, June 9, 2022

Welcome to Munich

 

View from Alter Peter: Frauenkirche and Neues Rathaus

If you arrive by plane in München, you will land at a very modern international airport, named after former Bavarian minister president Franz-Josef-Strauss (you either loved him or you hated him; there was no middle ground). It opened in 1992. We left Germany from here in 2001 when we started our life in California, but I don't remember it being so modern. What I do remember is the playground - perfect for our daughter who had just turned 3 four days before. I was pleasantly surprised about the efficiency of the airport and its public transport connection to the city (the airport is 28 km outside of Munich). Take note, NYC!

It is the only airport in the world with a beer garden and a Maibaum.


Let's take a walk at the heart of the city. We arrive by subway at Marienplatz - my favorite subway station of all the subway stations I've ever been to.

When a friend from Colorado saw this picture, she noted how clean it is. Well, everything is clean, not only the subway stations. The subways themselves, the trains, busses, highways, sidewalks, public restrooms, bus stops, train stations - everything. It was so pleasant (and quite shocking to come back to the US with all the trash).

Marienplatz is dominated by Neues Rathaus (new city hall) and the Mariensäule in front of it.

Neues Rathaus was built from 1867 to 1909 when Altes Rathaus (at the East side of Marienplatz) became too small (it houses a toy museum today). What I liked the most was the impressive front door to the inner court of the Rathaus.

Please note that there is a smaller door within the big door. 

Isn't this pretty?

However, Neues Rathaus attracts tourists from all over the world for a completely different reason: its famous Glockenspiel. It has 43 bells that play four different melodies while 32 figures depict the Schäfflertanz (a traditional dance that originates in Munich around 1702) and a knights' tournament (jousting) at the wedding of Bavarian duke Wilhelm V and Renata von Lothringen in 1568. I hope these videos of the Glockenspiel work, enjoy!



All around Marienplatz and its vicinity there are outdoor cafés and restaurants. 

Let's go North, to Odeonsplatz. We pass Viscardigasse which played an important role during the Third Reich for people who did not approve of the Nazi regime. During the Hitler years, everybody who passed Feldherrnhalle had to make the Hitler salute. The people who wanted to get to Odeonsplatz, but didn't want to make the salute, walked along Viscardigasse. Hence it was called "Drückebergergassl" ("shirker alley") in the vernacular. There is a bronze trace snaking through the paving stones that reminds of this silent form of resistance.

This is Feldherrnhalle on the southern side of Odeonsplatz. It was built in the 1840s as a memorial for the Bavarian army (Bavaria used to be a kingdom).

On the East side is Hofgarten - the formal court garden.



It has rows of majestic chestnut trees that were flowering - they are my favorite trees in Germany, along with copper beeches. Isn't that fence pretty? It reminds me of music clefs.


Of course there is an outdoor restaurant in Hofgarten and it was well attended. Who wouldn't like to sit beneath those trees?

Further up North from Odeonsplatz we reach the main building of the university, at Geschwister-Scholl-Platz. Have you heard of the Geschwister Scholl? I bet most of you haven't. Everybody in Germany has.

The Scholl siblings - Hans and Sophie - belonged to the non-violent, intellectual resistance group Weiße Rose (White Rose) in Nazi Germany. Most of its members were students in their early and mid 20's, as well as professors and lecturers at the university. They wrote and distributed leaflets and pamphlets that called for active opposition to the Nazi regime. On February 18, 1943 Hans and Sophie Scholl, after distributing leaflets in the corridors of the university so students could find them after lectures have ended, realised there were leaflets left in their suitcase and Sophie flung them down from the top floor of the Lichthof (artrium) in the university.

The janitor of the university had observed this and called the Gestapo. Hans and Sophie were arrested, stood trial before the "Volksgerichthof" where Roland Freisler, the head judge of the court (who was explicitly flown to Munich for this "trial"), sentenced them to death on February 22, 1943. They were executed by guillotine the same day. Hans was 24 and Sophie 21. The other members of the Weiße Rose were soon arrested and many of them were executed as well.

Sophie Scholl has been my heroine throughout my life. Of course I had to pay tribute.

At the entrance of the university there are bronze pamphlets in the pavement in order to remember die Weiße Rose. Across Germany, many streets, schools and other places are named after the Geschwister Scholl.


From many places in the inner city you can see the towers of the Frauenkirche - a true landmark of the city.


The manhole covers are adorned with the city crest, which shows a monk and is known as "Münchner Kindl". This is something I have noticed in other cities as well (like Freiburg). I find it pretty neat.

This ends our walk through the Innenstadt (inner city). I left out a few places - Viktualienmark and Englischer Garten - because they will get their own blogpost.

One more thing - I did love the pedestrian traffic lights!!!







.


12 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Wow.
Thank you for the potted tour.
I loved the door - and the glockenspeil videos played beautifully.
It doesn't look like a big city, but retains a lot of charm. And I love how clean it is.

kathyinozarks said...

I really enjoyed your post very much, awesome tour and loved all the photos very much

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely photos of Munich, I used to love being there for weekends. Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

I haven't made it to Germany yet, and it looks beautiful. I was also quite taken about how clean it is. It's too bad the US has so much trash around. It is nice to see such pristine views. And the older look to some of many buildings. It looks like you had a great trip,and I hope you have more to share with us soon. Hugs-Erika

Red Rose Alley said...

Carola, these photos are spectacular! That subway is cool, and looks pretty clean. The cafes are so charming. Would love to dine there and just sit, relax, and eat good food. I love that photo of the rows of chestnut trees. I enjoyed the short video of the bells. Wow, that beer garden in the airport is something else! Thanks for sharing a little bit of Munich's history with us, Carola. My children are part German on their father's side, and Jess traveled to Germany years ago to visit family, and had a wonderful time.

~Sheri

Lorrie said...

Carola, I very much enjoyed this visit to Munich via your blog. I visited the city once, and noticed the water/sewer covers in the streets there, and in other cities. I have some photos of them, too. We saw the Glockenspiel, but I also wish we could have seen the bronze pamphlets in the memorial to those brave young people who stood up against tyranny and paid dearly for it.

Mae Travels said...

That was a great tour! I have a feeling that somewhere at some point I read about the white rose group and their bravery, but I can't remember where I read it.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Good morning, Carola. There is so much to enjoy about this post, and it is quite wonderful to see a clean city, proving without a doubt that it can be achieved. The subway in Toronto is well known for its cleanliness but it looks like Munich starts where Toronto leaves off. I have ridden the New York system and it is disgusting. It is so poignant to read of the fate of Hans and Sophie, victims of a cruel and senseless ideology, and so young when they were executed. It is not hard to understand why Sophie would be a heroine for you. She is in fact a heroine for all of us. Remembrances like this, of another destructive war, reinforce the horror and sadness that I feel about what is happening in Ukraine. Thanks for a great post. All the best - David

Jeanie said...

What a beautiful city -- and one with a tragic history in many ways, as Hans and Sophie's story tells. What a fitting way to remember them. That subway station is glorious and I love seeing the churches and buildings. I've never been to Germany but seeing photos like this inspires me to want to go.

DUTA said...

I've been to Munich once (in my younger days), and I would like to visit it again. Great city!

Your photos of the various landmarks, and the videos of the Glockenspiel are quite a pleasant attraction for the readers of your post!
Thanks for the story of the Geshwister Scoll. Never heard of it before and it's important to know about it.

I like the pedestrian lights too.

Lowcarb team member said...

I did enjoy seeing your photographs of Munich.
Thank you.

All the best Jan

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks so much for this wonderful tour and commentary, Carola. This is certainly an impressive and very clean city, I agree. That subway station was very impressive and I liked its color too. It was a sad to read about what happened to Hans and Sophie Scholl and at such young ages.