Saturday, June 4, 2022

T is for Travel

 

Frauenkirche, München

You may have noticed (or not) that I was missing from blogland for the most part of May. The reason is simple - on May 9th we boarded a plane to München (Munich), Germany to finally see our daughter again. It's been almost two years since she left California in the middle of the pandemic to start her new adventure of living and doing her Masters in Germany. We wanted to see her life in München before she will move to a different city in Germany for her job in research after she will have graduated from LMU (Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München).

It's difficult to describe my feelings of seeing her again after such a long time (I won't even try). She met us at the airport (we landed in the late afternoon), and after seeing her tiny tiny appartment and checking into our hotel, we did what you do in Munich on a warm night - we vistied a Biergarten (beer garden), the first one of many.

A Biergarten is a truly Bavarian thing - as long as you order a drink there, you can bring your own food. This is the case in all Bavarian beer gardens, but I am not sure whether this is true for the rest of the country - where there aren't that many beer gardens in the first place (maybe Iris has an answer to that). Of course you can also order food in a Biergarten - it is good, but kind of a limited offer and certainly not much for vegetarians and almost nothing if you prefer to eat vegan. A Biergarten is rustic and so is the food.

In the picture I'm holding a glass of dark Weißbier in my hand, and you can also see the top of a glass of Weißbier. If you order just Weißbier, you always get the lighter (in color) version of it, but if you want the darker one (which I prefer), you explicitly have to say so. Bavarian breweries produce excellent Weißbier (in the rest of the country, this is often referred to as Hefeweizen, and it is known under this name in the US as well). We went to so many beer gardens (we avoided indoor dining as much as possible) that it deserves its own blogpost some time later.

Of course we extensively explored the city - more about that in upcoming posts.


We enjoyed the local food (more about that in future posts for Kathy's Food Wednesday), but I really want to emphasize on pretzels - THE Bavarian bread product. You can get pretzels all over the country by now, but I do have to say that the Bavarian ones are extremely tasty. They're called Breze here and Brezel in the others parts of Germany (note the missing l).


This is a particular big, beer garden style Breze that Kaefer is holding here. We don't eat pretzels with mustard - I don't know why this is so popular in the US. It's a disgrace to the pretzel. You eat it with butter or sometime with cream cheese and chives (very popular in München), and the only time you have sweet (!) mustard with it is when you eat Weißwurst, a typical Bavarian sausage that should be eaten before 11:00 am (some places offer them until 2:00 pm. If you see them being offered after noon you know you are in a tourist trap).

Of course it goes down well with a glass of beer or two.


Here, Kaefer is having a Weißbier and I have a Dunkles Halbes. 

Apart from exploring München, we also took the trains to the beautiful lakes in the vicinity of the city and even a bit further away.

Beautiful, quiet Ammersee ...


... famous Starnberger See ...


... and romantic Königssee in the Bavarian Alps.


And yes, we had beer on these trips (Elizabeth, I hope these are enough drinks to qualify for a T post).


Franziskaner Weißbier is one of my favorites, but not the only one. Weißbier has its own special shaped glass - actually, every kind of beer has its own glass. I will go deeper into the "beer science" when I will write about beer gardens.

After about a week or so we left München for a little trip with Kaefer. We first re-visited my old stomping grounds, Tübingen, where I had lived for 22 years and Kaefer was born 24 years ago.


This was on our way to France where we spent a few days in Alsace. When I still lived in Tübingen I often went to Alsace for a long weekend or so. It was wonderful to see all the villages and small towns again. Nothing much seemed to have changed here.

Barr

Kaysersberg

Ribeauvillé

After a short stay in Freiburg, Germany we drove to Switzerland where we visited Luzern (Lucerne) and the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne), some of the few Swiss places I hadn't been before.

Kapellbrücke (Chapel Bridge)


Through Liechtenstein - a rather odd little state - we crossed into Austria at one of the smallest border crossings I had ever seen.

Vaduz, Liechtenstein


Our final destination was the region of Südtirol (South Tyrol), an autonomous province in the North of Italy right in the midst of the Alps. I had been here as a child and I felt the same awe about this beautiful area again. We visited the Campanile di Curon Venosta Vecchia with its infamous history as well as beautiful Vipiteno or Sterzing as it is called in German. The population in Südtirol speaks predominantly German as a result of its history with Austria. The other two languages spoken here are Ladin (a Romance dialect) and Italian.

Campanile di Curon Venosta Vecchia

Vipiteno / Sterzing

Back in Germany we took the train to Würzburg for a Bartz family gathering over the weekend. Würzburg is two high-speed-train hours North of München, still located in Bavaria in a region called Franken (Franconia). This area produces great wine that is sold in a special type of bottle called "Bocksbeutel". Würzburg is an old city on the river Main, with old bridges, a fortress, a castle and a dome/cathedral - it's a lovely place.

Alte Mainbrücke and Festung Marienberg, Würzburg

The hardest day was the day after - when we had to say goodbye to Kaefer, not knowing when we will see her next. After we had landed in San Francisco and wanted to drive home, our car wouldn't start. Just the thing you want after an almost 12-hour flight! We called AAA and thankfully after only 20 minutes roadside assistance arrived and jump started the car. It took another 90 minutes to drive home - we were done and just sunk into blissful sleep in our own bed.

Unpacking the suitcase the following morning was pure joy!







27 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I had noticed your absence and worried a bit. I am thrilled for the reason for it.
And thank you for sharing some of the beauty and the joy.

My name is Erika. said...

It must have been wonderful to see your daughter after such a long time. And I understand why it would be so hard to leave at the end too. But it sounds like you had a lovely trip, and it must have been a great time to visit also. You have some fantastic photos. I smiled at your suitcase view too. I think you brought home a lot of food that says Germany to you. That's fun. Glad you had such a wonderful trip Carola. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

Good evening, what a wonderful trip for your family to be together again. I enjoyed all the photos and your post. wow that was a very large pretzel and I loved the beer glasses too.
I have changed Food Wednesdays for the summer months-posting only on the first wednesday of the month now. The participation for the link ups had gotten quite low for a couple of weeks-so decided to try this out, summers can be very busy for many.
good to see you back home safe hugs Kathy

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time in Germany and Austria. I love weizenbier, but always without alcohol. Here you can NOT take your own food into a Biergarten, they would throw you out. Enjoy being back home, hugs, Valerie

DUTA said...

Great photos of you and your daughter drinking beer in a Birgarten in Munich!
It looks like a trip to remember. Not only reunion with your daughter but also with your German and European roots.

Red Rose Alley said...

How wonderful to see your daughter again Carola. She looks happy. You took some fantastic photos while you were visiting. I love the village photo with the colorful butterfly garland. The Bavarian Alps is beautiful. That's a great photo. And the photo of the water and the clouds and the purple flowers is so peaceful just looking at it. I hear German beer is really good. Cheers to you reuniting with your daughter again!

~Sheri

Lowcarb team member said...

A lovely post, how wonderful to see your daughter again.
I enjoyed reading about your travels and looking at your photographs.

All the best Jan

Gretchen Joanna said...

How splendid! Your pictures are so appealing. München is one of the few German cities I have been in; I didn't drink any beer, but I sat in a park and ate some cheese while waiting for a train.

You two and your daughter make a beautiful threesome. Two years is too long! I've had to go a year without seeing some of my children, but so far, not longer... still, I think the day may come, when the times of separation will lengthen. And I don't find FaceTime very satisfying!

DVArtist said...

I did notice you were gone. I am thrilled that you were able to see your daughter. I know you are very proud of her and should be. Thank you for sharing your trip.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yes, Carola, your absence had been duly noted, but since this is summer and travel time, it's not unexpected that bloggers like yourself may be off on an adventure. What a wonderful adventure you had to visit with your daughter after nearly 2 years and it was clear from the photos that your family had a wonderful reunion with lots of travels and 🍻. Thanks for the info on how to best enjoy a pretzel. The suitcase full of treats was SO amazing and was there any problem in transporting all these treats? I hope you will not have to wait so long for a future get together and good luck to your daughter as you continues her education.

Mae Travels said...

What a fabulous collection of images. Your trip sounds wonderful, and it must be a really deep feeling to see your daughter after all the time away.

My son-in-law is from Augsburg, so all the family (he, our daughter & 2 granddaughters) are all in Bavaria visiting his relatives right now. They have sent photos of quite a few of these scenes. Thanks for all the beautiful photos.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Jeanie said...

I laughed when I got to the last photo of your luggage! What a fabulous trip. It had to be just wonderful seeing Kaefer again and then having the joy of touring around a bit. That's a long time to be apart and it had to be such a terrific experience to reunite after so long. You all look as though you are having a fabulous time! The photos are terrific, but then I'd expect nothing less from your fabulous eye! Welcome back!

Linda Kunsman said...

Oh what a truly joyful post!! So happy for you to be able to see your girl again especially after so long- you all look very happy indeed. You have also stirred up lots of old memories for me as I was in Munich and Lucerne many years ago. When my friend and I stayed in Lucerne we walked Chapel bridge several times a day-loved Switzerland. Alsace looks so beautiful. Well, it all looks so beautiful in Europe to me:).
And - oh I do love that you filled your suitcase with all those very special treats!! Remember to use the wrappers in your art;). Thanks for sharing, and happy T day!

Sharon Madson said...

What a beautiful post! The photos are fabulous. Thank you for sharing. Happy T Day!

Iris Flavia said...

Such a very happy pic, thank you for the smiles and no... bring your food here, you´re out, LOL!
I only know it the other way round, from Australia. BYO, Bring Your Own drinks into not licensed restaurants.

I sadly only know the airport of München where we (my former partner and I) were stuck for 24 hours on our trip to Egypt in the 80´s).
I never had a real Breze! Or Brezel, for that matter. It seems Bavaria really is not Germany, kidding ;-)
A Weißwurst I had on a Bavarian Festival in Braunschweig. From... Miele!!!
Oh, such happy pics.
And such a wonderful trip!
Oh, yes, I know a Bocksbeutel! Those green round bottles! Ingo´s Grandma had those.
Erdnuss Flips, LOL And Spätzle, hmmmm!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had noticed you were missing from T, but am glad to know it was for a good reason.

Congratulations on your daughter getting her Masters. We always need researchers, so I am delighted for her. I know you are proud of her, too.

I enjoyed seeing all the beer you drank and laughed at your comment about having enough drinks to qualify for a T post. MORE than enough!! I look forward to learning about beer science, too.

Sounds like the three of you had a fabulous holiday. seeing places that were meaningful to you. I kept seeing these beautiful places through your camera and your eye. They are fabulous photos.

I enjoyed seeing the huge pretzel. I would also prefer cream cheese to mustard ion a pretzel.

Thanks for taking us to Germany and sharing your photos and beers with us for T this Tuesday, Carola.

Empire of the Cat said...

What a wonderful and emotional trip you had. The photos are beautiful, I love the one of your daughter and the giant pretzel, the one with the house through the keyhole shaped stone, the mountains, so much to look at, and of course your suitcase!!! Glad you had a lovely time and got back safely even though a little later due to the care trouble. Hope the jetlag is minimal. Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

nwilliams6 said...

Wow - so beautiful and enchanting! I so want to visit these places. You are very lucky to have lived in some of them and to get to visit them with your daughter and hubby. Congrats to your daughter too - she is doing something most people only dream of and she looks so delightful and fun (just like you). THanks for sharing all this, Carola. We are glad you are back. You win the coolest beer pictures this week (possibly this year)! Hugz

Veronica Lee said...

How wonderful to see your daughter, Carola!

Sounds like an terrific trip for your family.

Loved, loved, loved the photos.

((hugs and blessings)

Lisca said...

It must have been amazing seeing your daughter again after so much time. Did she travel with you to all those places? What a wonderful trip. I so enjoyed the photos. Thank you for sharing.
I'm not very familiar with southern Germany (only from driving through when on the way to Italy. I have skied in Südtirol (and also in Tirol). I just love those mountains. Summer or winter.
Those pretzels are amazing! I've never had one like that!
My dad was in Würzburg during the war. He was taken prisoner (as were most Dutch males) and made to do forced labour. He worked on the railway shunting yard. As a linguist he was in demand to translate quite a bit. The guilt of not being able to fight for his country has lasted him all his life. He already was fluent in German but came away with a distinct Bavarian accent which has lasted all his life (He died in 2010).
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Let's Art Journal said...

Welcome back and how wonderful to see your daughter after all that time and I'm so glad you had such a fabulous time together! The photos look amazing and those pretzels are my favourite especially with a beer, although I've never seen a pretzels that big before (smile) - perfect 😁. Wow, so may goodies to enjoy now your back too, I can see why it made you so happy! Happy T Day!

Jackie McGuinness said...

What a wonderful trip! I love Germany. You have reminded me to use some German beer photos for T.

jinxxxygirl said...

Nice to know your absence from T was for a nice reason! Hubby and i spent 3 years in Germany with the military back in the early 90's.. We miss it very much.. AND we did some traveling and played the tourist..Went skiing in the Alps.. Neither of us drink alcohol so we did not visit beer gardens and i ALWAYS have mustard with my pretzel either here or abroad.. I absolutely loved all your gorgeous pictures. And i understand the feeling of seeing your child after so long a time.. Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us.. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Looks like you had a wonderful vacation, enhanced no doubt by reconnecting with your daughter after such a long absence. That's a lot of beer - I hope you were never too far from a washroom!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! You certainly got around to lots of interesting places! I hope that we can visit Alsace one day! We don't see many pretzels here! Love that you took so many food goodies home with you! Happy T Day, Chrisx

CJ Kennedy said...

What a wonderful trip you had. So nice to see your daughter and share in her adventure. The photographs you took look like postcards. Beautiful. Wow! The treasure you brought home. Happy T Day

Lorrie said...

How you must have enjoyed that reunion with your daughter after such a long time apart. All the smiles say so much! Those are huge pretzels! I would definitely prefer them with cream cheese and chives rather than mustard. So glad you had a wonderful trip!