Sunday, June 19, 2022

Visiting Viktualienmarkt

 

Today I want to take you on a visit to Viktualienmarkt in München. This (almost) daily food and gourmet market is just around the corner from Marienplatz and as you can see from the picture above, it also serves other items beside food. Food, however, is the main draw.

"Viktualien" is the outdated word for groceries and "Markt" means market - so Viktualienmarkt stands for grocery market. It has been taking place since 1807 when the old city market was moved from Schrannenplatz (today's Marienplatz) to the area between Heilig-Geist Kirche (church of the holy ghost) and Frauenstraße. It's open every day except for Sundays and holidays.

The center of the market is, of course, a beer garden - what else can you expect in the capital of Bavaria?

Right next to the Biergarten we find the Maibaum (maypole). You can find a Maibaum in many parts of Germany as well as in Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Slovenia, but only in Bavaria it is white-blue (the colors of Bavaria). It is a decorated tree or tree trunk that is set up for May 1st. Please note that this Maibaum refers to the Münchner Reinheitsgebot of 1487 (Munich purity law), which was the first food legislation of its kind in the world. It regulated which ingredients were allowed to be used for brewing beer: barley, hops and water. This only applied to beer production in Munich. This is a bit different from the more well-known Deutsches Reinheitsgebot (German purity law) of 1516 which also lists these three ingredients, but later adds yeast as a fourth ingredient. Since 1993, a new, more liberal German beer law has been in effect, but many German brewers still abide by the Reinheitsgebot.


Throughout the Viktualienmarkt there are several fountains, all of them dedicated to Bavarian actors, musicians etc.

Elise-Aulinger-Brunnen

Roider-Jackl-Brunnen

They offer what a true fountain or well should do: potable water. Feel free to fill up your water bottle.



One of Munich's famous food is Weißwurst - I wrote about it here - and of course you can get them in Viktualienmarkt. It's the sausage in the white-blue packages. The Wollwurst next to it is similar to the Weißwurst, but it does not contain parsley.



As I mentioned above, you find more than just food at Viktualienmarkt - for example flowers. 


Since Viktualienmarkt is a big attraction to tourists and locals alike, souvenir shops can be found here as well as items that are cute, but no one really needs.



We did need a little break after all that walking and stopping and walking and stopping. Beer garden or juice booth? We decided to try the juice - left is "Vitaminbombe" (vitamin bomb) and to the right my freshly squeezed pomegranate juice. These are my tickets for Elizabeth and her T Tuesday.


Life is good.








25 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Lovely post, I enjoyed seeing more of Germany. My Mother's family came from Germany-would have been my great grand parents. Lovely flowers and your juice drinks look delicious. thanks for sharing Happy T

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you.
I love the ducks and the flowers - and am drooling over those juices.

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for the photos, it's a great place to visit. I used to be in Münich a lot, and was always happ to wander there. Hugs, Valerie

DUTA said...

I love markets.
I like beer, sausages, flowers, souvenirs.
Your charming daughter 'steals' the show with her bottle of water.
"Life is schon, indeed".

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It does my heart good to see your daughter filling up her water bottle. For all who continue to pollute the world with plastic bottles, take note! What a fabulous area this is, with history on every corner, and good food as far as the eye can see! How you ever tore yourself away from all of this is hard to understand, Carola, but now that your daughter has decided to remain in Germany and work there, you will have added incentive to return often. Let's all hope that travel becomes a little less chaotic than it has been of late. A friend of ours just lost two days in Frankfurt when three flights were cancelled on her. Horror stories seem to be coming from every major airport and no continent seems immune. With my very best wishes - David

jinxxxygirl said...

Life certainly does look good... And i may not NEED it but one of those duck may have come home with me.. How fabulous that the fountains offer good water to drink!! Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

Mae Travels said...

Lovely market photos! Laws regulating food are so necessary, and it's really interesting to hear the history.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

I am so impressed with this trip of yours. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think I'll have a vitamin bomb. It looks refreshing, but so does your daughter's water.

I swooned over the peonies. They are fabulous. I really enjoyed seeing the various flowers and food you experienced at these beer gardens.

The fountains are pure works of incredible art and sculpture, too.

Tjhanks for sharing the flowers, the Maypole, the water sculptures, the sausages, and your drinks with us for T this almost Tuesday, dear Carola.

Lorrie said...

How I enjoyed seeing glimpses of the market. We found some lunch there one afternoon when we were in Munich. The peonies are gorgeous! I don't think I've ever seen so many bunches of them. It's good that there are places to fill up water bottles. I don't understand people buying them all the time.

Linda Kunsman said...

A truly enjoyable post. Love seeing Munich and Germany through your lens. It's all so wonderful. Thanks for sharing, and happy T day!

My name is Erika. said...

This is an interesting post Carola. What a fun walk through the Viktualienmarkt. Boy there was a lot of people at the Bier Garten. It looks like a gorgeous day to sit outside and enjoy a beer. I really love those wooden ducks. And the flowers are beautiful too. Thanks for taking us for a walk through a part of Munich. And happy T day and week ahead. Hugs-Erika

Kate Yetter said...

Those flowers are beautiful! I love seeing them all together as it reminds me of the scene from "My Fair Lady." Loving the sculptures/fountains. The market looks like a bustling and fun place to visit. Thank you for taking us on a tour.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Sharon Madson said...

Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing the lovely photographs of the market. I loved the ducks, too. They made me smile. Happy T Day!

Iris Flavia said...

So nice to see a summer scene with happy, unmasked people, just like it always was.
I never had a Weißwurst. But we had Bratwurst on the weekend.
Life is good, I agree, especially in summer - happy T-Day!

Veronica Lee said...

What a lovely place to visit!

I enjoyed the delightful photos, Carola.

((hugs and blessings))

Divers and Sundry said...

That's a big crowd, quite a celebration! The drinks look refreshing, and I got a kick out of the ducks :) Happy T Tuesday!

pam nash said...

Looks like a wonderful place. I have ancestors from Bavaria in the 1700 and 1800's. Maybe they were sellers or shoppers there then. It's always nice to learn more about real places.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Ooh! A beergarden in the middle of the market and those fabulous fountains too. I love European markets - they really do have a great atmosphere! Happy T Day, Chrisx

Lisca said...

Thank you for taking me to München. I love those photos. The peonies in the first photo are beautiful.
Yes, I knew about the purity laws. That is probably why German beer tastes so good. I used to live in Italy and when I traveled to see my parents (in Holland) I would travel by train. They had sleepers in those days (70s and 80s) as it was a long journey. Most occasions I would have to change trains in München. I would allow myself plenty of time as Italian trains were not always on time... So I would have a few hours to kill in München. I would take my suitcase to the left luggage (also a thing of the past) and wander into the city and sit down to have a beer. Aaah! Lovely. Such sweet memories.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

CJ Kennedy said...

Thank you for the tour around the Markt. I can almost hear the sounds and the smells. I love the lettering on the chalkboard and how the artist used the 2 little hearts for the umlaut. Sehr klug. Happy T Day

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you for all of these lovely photographs.
A wonderful place to visit.

All the best Jan

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Life is indeed good when there are all those wonderful blooms and delicious foods and let's not forget the beer. Thanks, Carola, for a wonderful and very descriptive tour and seeing so many smiling faces was wonderful too.

Jeanie said...

I just love this series on Germany/Munich. The photos are fabulous and they tell a story of a wonderful time. That market and those flowers are so beautiful and I especially love the convenient water bottle filling station! It sounds like the beer garden is well placed! What joy -- and to be able to be there with your daughter is the best.

Empire of the Cat said...

All those beautiful flowers! The name of the market is almost the same word as the old English word victuals, or like the cowboys used to say vittals lol. I lived in Germany for a while, and loved the markets especially. Sorry for my lateness. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx