Monday, September 19, 2022

Where France Meets Germany

 

Our last stop in Alsace was Colmar, a beautiful city of about 70,000 that considers itself to be the "capital of Alsatian wine". It has a well-preserved old town including an area that is crossed by canals of the river Lauch. It is picturesque and therefore attracts many tourists. We were there on a Sunday and it was crowded.

This is where France meets Germany which is a mere 23 km (14 miles) away from Colmar. This results in a unique mix of the two cultures.

While Colmar is a lovely city, it's a bit of a let down after having visited the picturesque towns and villages of Riquewihr, Ribeauvillé and Kaysersberg (and there are many more). It is probably much better to visit Colmar before going on to the other beautiful places. 

I was quite taken by this decoration across one of the small canals.


Colmar also has its share of unique signs and gateways to hidden courtyards.


Looking down, we noticed these plaques in the ground. Of course we had to research it right there and learned that Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi was born in Colmar in 1834. He designed Liberty Enlightening the World, commonly known as the Statue of Liberty (its metal framework was built by Gustave Eiffel who is so famous for the tower of the same name).

After strolling along the Quai de la Poissonerie (fishmonger's district), we eventually arrived in the area that is known as La Petite Venise (Little Venice), probably the part of Colmar that draws the biggest crowds.



Tourists can take guided boat rides here which many of them do. It can get pretty busy on the canal. Look at the swan swimming in the water - I think it's already obvious that he is not too pleased.
 

And he sure wasn't! He started to attack the boats passing by - you couldn't really blame him. There were so many boats going down the canal, what was a swan to do? This is his territory.
\

Why do people have to get into everything? Isn't it enough just to look at this beautiful scenery?

We left Petite Venise soon after. We strolled a few more of the streets and alleys, found an ice cream place where we had a short break while enjoying this delicious cold treat. 

All over the old town I noticed these big purple pots that were planted with olive trees. I wouldn't mind having one of those. Purple was quite a bold color for this place, but it was a good choice.


We then left Colmar and went back to Germany. We stayed in Freiburg, less than an hour to drive from Colmar. I will tell you about this university town next Tuesday - this place has a special meaning for me. For now, I only show you my drink that evening in a local restaurant - a rosé wine called Weißherbst, typical for this area. With this I salute Elizabeth and Bleubeard for their T Tuesday!





18 comments:

Mae Travels said...

I’m enjoying your trip to Alsace! Colmar, as you present it, seems a bit touristy, but still totally charming. The wine looks delicious.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

Wow Carola. I am enjoying these photos. What a fairytale area. I need to go back and see what I've missed while I was away. And I am so glad you shared wine since Comar is the heart of Alsace wine making. The area looks so beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful T day and week ahead. Hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

Wow this is just a beautiful place. So many interesting things there to see. I would love to go there. Have a great day today.

Sharon Madson said...

I am enjoying these walks through the streets and alleys in this place. But, I do feel for the swans. I look forward to next time. Happy T day.

My name is Erika. said...

I just wanted to reply to some questions you asked when you commented on my blog. I would never buy a keurig-you are right about the trash, but I think in this situation it was handy. And yes we toured Lehman Caves, which were amazing. And we didn't quite make it to the Bristlecone pines (sadly). We were 0.7 miles away, but we were in the middle of a thunderstorm. The ranger had told us if it thundered don't go up because the bristlecone pines were too exposed. So close and yet so far. And I did enjoy highway 50. Here in New Hampshire we have so many trees, it is always so amazing to be able to see so far. Yes, I do recommend this hotel. There are great sky views at night right from the hotel. hugs-Erika

Darla said...

I always enjoy my arm chair travels with you. The old towns have such atmosphere and your photos are stunning. Thanks for the tour.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Colmar is lovely. I liked the bridge and the various signs. Too bad it is very touristy. Still, it is quite charming and very old world.

Really enjoyed seeing your wine you shared. I was most taken by the carafe. Thanks for taking us to Colmar and sharing your wine with us for T this almost Tuesday, dear Carola.

Iris Flavia said...

Interessant, ich wusste nicht dass das Design der Statue aus Frankreich kam.
Wunderschön dort, oh, der arme Schwan... ich wär auch genervt.
Prost, auf eine schöne Woche!

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you (so much) for sharing some of your travels. I have been loving it, and you take photos of things I would itch to photograph as well (if I remembered while I was looking, looking, looking...)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You really did have a fabulous trip, Carola. It was all wonderful, with some parts being more wonderful than others, but nowhere devoid of enchantment. This is a part of Europe so steeped in history that one could be transported back in time so easily. Oh, and I'm rooting for the swans! As you say, it's their territory! Best wishes - David

Kate Yetter said...

Picturesque indeed! You took some lovely photos, and I enjoyed seeing all the little details. The trees scattered throughout the town caught my eye. I agree that tourism messes things up, but I think the fault is of those that offer the service.
I look forward to seeing the university next week.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Divers and Sundry said...

Lovely! I always enjoy these virtual trips :) Modern cities could learn a lot about what makes an environment attractive from places like the old towns you've visited.

Happy T Tuesday!

pam nash said...

For a small town Texan, it is very lovely and beautifully unique. I agree - why would so many people want to get in a small boat when walking would be much nicer!

Lisca said...

What a beautiful town! I've never been there. My parents used to go to Alsace quite often and always brought back some of the pottery.
Thanks for showing me some of Colmar, and your lovely wine.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Empire of the Cat said...

It is another beautiful place though isn't it. I really love the houses. Good on that swan for defending his canal! I liked the Statue of Liberty/ Eiffel tower connections too. The rose looks good also. Thanks for your visit. You were asking about our money, the notes will stay in circulation for a while before being replaced by new currency. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a beautiful place! It's all so picturesque, I adore the views and buildings - amazing 😊. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

nwilliams6 said...

Oh my gosh, you have made us all fall in love with these places. I want to go to all of them. Your pictures and stories are so wonderful. You have a special knack for this!

All are beautiful and the wine looks wonderful.

Happy T-day, Carola. Can't wait to see the next pictures!

Jeanie said...

That town of Colmar is so charming. I am especially taken with the archway over the canal by the crossover. That's beautiful. And I love the half-timbered buildings. It's what I imagine it should be!