Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Birds on a Hat

 

The art I'm bringing you today for Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date is my knitting, in particular this birds hat. I have been knitting several of this hat for a couple years now in different color combinations. They're for purchase in my Etsy store and usually sell out pretty quickly during the months before Christmas. This year I added a new color combination - grey with red birds. I'm planning to knit more hats in grey or charcoal and contrast the neutral color with more colorful birds in the near future.


Recently we had linguine with lemon sauce for dinner. It's another NYT recipe and super easy. I've enclosed the recipe below. I find it better to start heating the butter and adding the lemon zest more toward the end of the pasta's cooking time. However, I would add a few good grinds of fresh black pepper at the end and I also tend to be quite generous with the Parmigiano-Reggiano (I prefer this aged kind of Parmesan).


Last weekend we finally got some rain! It was such a relief. While we didn't get quite the soaking that was in the forecast, we still got a decent amount and my garden is very happy. Right before the weekend I harvested everything that was ripe enough. We had some lovely tomato dishes of which I forgot to take any pictures. Pasta, garlic, cream and basil were involved. Those big dark tomatoes are Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, an organic heirloom tomato with a truly big flavor. Otherwise there is Early Girl and the cherry tomoato is Riesentraube, an old German heirloom. Its name means "giant bunch of grapes" and indeed, it has big clusters of flavorful cherry tomatoes. It works well with Rain's prompt for this week, "Harvest Dinner". Bon appétit.



 



17 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Love those hats. Your dinner and your produce look excellent too. Hooray for rain.

Valerie-Jael said...

LOVE thos knitted caps, Carola, so pretty!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your hats look absolutely wonderful, Carola. It's easy to understand why they sell out so quickly. As for the cheese on your pasta dish, for several years now we have been using Pecorino romano and are very happy with that. Our local Italian deli carries a particularly fine one. We grated some on our Cesar salad last night. Hugs - David

kathyinozarks said...

Love your hats-beautiful

My name is Erika. said...

I'm loving your hats Carola. I just ordered some yarn to make a couple of hats, and I am anxiously awaiting it to start knitting them. Yours came out great. And hurrah for rain. I like your garden harvest. Mine was on the slim side this year with a drought (not anywhere as long lasting as yours in CA), but it was enough to cut back on what I actually picked. But getting anything from the garden is always a pleasure, isn't it? And your pasta looks delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe because it does sound like a great side with a piece of fish or chicken. I don't know if my husband (Mr. Picky eater) would consider it enough for a meal, but I would. I hope your week is going well. hugs-Erika

Gillena Cox said...

Interesting tomato shapes and colour. Happy Thursday.

Much💛love

Christine said...

Yummy harvest post and your knitting is beautiful

Iris Flavia said...

Tolle Mützen! Und schönes Foto mit dem Fußboden und den Ähren.
Und das Essen sieht superlecker aus.
Und der Teller!
Ingo bestand heute auf Currywurst Pommes und obwohl wir uns das geteilt haben ist mit immernoch ganz flau.
Tolle Ernte. Ich muss wirklich mal wieder auf den Markt für Tomaten!

Jeanie said...

Your hat is adorable. I wish I could wear that style and look good. I can't but if I could....! And what a good sounding recipe. I think we'd both like that.

DVArtist said...

Nice harvest, wonderful recipe but those hats are FABULOUS!!!! Have a great day today. Can't wait to see what you make for FFO.

Lorrie said...

Your hats are so lovely! And the linguine is very tempting. Our garden is winding down - there is rain in the forecast for tomorrow, and I hope we do get some for things are extremely dry here.

NatureFootstep said...

nice hats :)
re your question on the photopaper. Yes it is glossy. And different sizes. I have a lot of them sinse the time when I was supposed to print photos myself. It was difficult to get good prints so the paper is still around. Hope to see what you comes up with. :)

Veronica Lee said...

Love those beautiful hats, Carola. 💛💙💜👍👍

Hugs and blessings!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You are quite the knitter. I have tried knitting and have made a few things for my family, but nothing like your bird hats ... I am impressed. Your tomatoes look awesome and strange ... I have not seen the heirloom tomatoes and would probably have passed them by until now I know they have great flavor. I will keep an eye out at the farmers market for them. Your recipe sounds wonderful and definitely one I will try ... I love Linguini and clam sauce and I also love lemon in many foods, so this is a winner for sure. Glad you got some rain ... perhaps more will come and soak the ground so you have moisture in your garden next spring :) Stay well, and I am going to visit your Etsy Store :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Tom said...

...I need one of those hats to keep my bald head warm!

Fundy Blue said...

Your hats are darling, Carola. I love birds. And I'm going to try your linguine with lemon sauce tomorrow night. I have all the ingredients. Your garden harvest looks really delicious. I'm too much of a rolling stone to have a garden. Perhaps in another universe I do. Have a great weekend!

Fundy Blue said...

The Linguine with Lemon Sauce was delicious, Carola! Both my husband and I loved it. It's going to be a repeat dinner favorite for sure.