Friday, September 23, 2022

Painting over a Painting

 

When I started painting "more seriously" I created many paintings that I either didn't like or that were hideous. I usually would put them away and come back to them weeks or even months later. If I still didn't like them I decided to "recycle" them. 

This fate was met by the painting that is lying beneath this mixed media painting of a young woman. I don't quite remember which painting it used to be, I only know that it was the face of a woman and it turned out awful. I tried to like it, but didn't succeed. So I decided to paint over it - this was the first (but not last) time that I recycled a painting this way. What I do remember is that I used little daisy paper die cuts for the hair - in this photo you can clearly see them (the old painting used to be in portrait mode, not landscape).

This second face, that I am sharing with Nicole's Friday Face Off, turned out much more to my liking. In fact, it was the first face I painted that I really liked. I had some of those paper daisies leftovers and used them in her hair - it kind of ties the old and new together. This painting was done in 2013.


15 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

I love this face, so lovely and whimsical, she looks so pensive! Hugs, Valerie

DVArtist said...

I too recycle paintings for the very same reasons. This one is gorgeous. I love the texture and the colors are just beautiful. Thank you for sharing in FFO. Have a very nice day.

Christine said...

Nice work!

Elephant's Child said...

You have joined many great artists in recycling works that they were not happy with.
I do hope you don't paint over this beauty though.

Gillena Cox said...

Gorgeous paint over Carola. Thanks for dropping by Art For Fun Friday today at my blog.

Much💛love

carol l mckenna said...

This is a sweet and lovely face and wonderful painting ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

sirkkis said...

Nicely painted face. I like the expression thiat you painted for her.
Happy Autumn 🧡

David M. Gascoigne, said...

This is taking recycling to a whole new level, Carola, although I think it has a long history in the field of painting. This one is a keeper, however. Consider yourself under my very strict instructions to tamper with it no more and to gaze upon it often - with total satisfaction! Hugs - David

Jeanie said...

I think overpainting makes perfect sense! And you can do that with some media (not watercolor!) Artists have been doing that for centuries. I love the piece, it has a wonderful, gentle feel to it.

My name is Erika. said...

I like your new painting very much Carola. She is lovely. And I do the same thing, covering over old paintings. I don't know if I can say I am seriously painting though, because I'm not very thrilled with most of what I paint. But there are always a few I really like. Have a wonderful weekend. hugs-Erika

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Recycling works for many things it seems, which is a very good thing. Since I am not an artist, I have never recycled a painting, but have done so with many other things. I hope you like the paint over, Carola, as it does look nicer in my humble non-artist opinion.

Fundy Blue said...

A beautiful face and a lovely color palette, Carola! I wonder what she is thinking, because she looks deep in thought. Have a creative week!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Not having seen the first painting, I can't conclude a preference, but I will take your word for it as this painting is delightful and I love the daisies in the hair :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Rostrose said...

Ein schönes Gesicht! Aber sie Gänseblümchen machen das Bild erst so RICHTIG genial, liebe Carola! WOW!
Alles Liebe auch hier nochmal!
Traude

NatureFootstep said...

you did a gret job with the new painting. I like this lady a lot :)