Friday, September 16, 2022

Wonky Lion Woman

Another lesson at the Art Soul Gathering that I watched was Jenny Grant's "Soulful Grunge". Jenny Grant who lives in Sweden was a new artist to me. In her session she created a great mixed media close-up face spread over two pages in an art journal (the art journal itself was a piece of art!). It was unusual, but I was also intrigued by it. So I tried creating my own piece.

Oh well...


It did not turn out the way I envisioned it at all. Nevertheless, I tried and that counts as positive in my book. This was such an interesting project that I want to try it again, maybe with a completely different approach - and less paint. I found Jenny's way to paint the eyes interesting - she didn't paint the pupils but just hints of them and I wanted to do that as well. It didn't quite work out - I actullay spent quite some time with those eyes - but it was interesting and I still learned a lot. And I think it's totally okay to show something that is not a masterpiece.

The longer I looked at this woman, the more I actually saw a lion than a woman - despite the human nose and the black-grey hair and all. So I call this the Wonky Lion Woman. Her name is Henrietta. I hope Iris will appreciate this.

This is for Nicole's Friday Face Off where I'm sure you will see more intersting and beautiful faces.



10 comments:

Tom said...

...these eyes are so expressive!

Valerie-Jael said...

I love your lion woman face. Making art is fun, and I'm glad you have shown your lion face. Hugs, Valerie

pam nash said...

Lion Woman - a good addition to your art journal!

Jeanie said...

I like the Lion Woman -- I see them both!

Elephant's Child said...

Perfection is a myth. Thank you for trying - and for showing us. Love those eyes.

DVArtist said...

You are SO awesome! I love that you are taking those on line classes. I know for me I learn so much. I many not be able to create like the teacher but what I glean from classes is priceless and so did you. I love the eyes with that hint of a pupal. The shading is wonderful too. Thank you for joining Friday Face OFF.

Gillena Cox said...

Nice piece of art. Luv the double spread journal page

Muchđź’›love

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You did wonderfully well, Carola, and I am very happy that you showed us the results. The ancient Greeks were renowned for fusing humans and animals so you are following in a great tradition. I bet you had fun doing it, learned a lot, and are resolved to do more. That's about as good as it gets! Hugs - David

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I agree it does come to you if you study it for awhile ... however with the mane, she turns into a male, Ha! And the truth is, Carola, we are never satisfied with our own work no matter how good it is and this one is good. So paint, draw, color to your hearts content and don't judge ... let those of us who appreciate your art be the judge :)

Andrea @ From The Sol

Rostrose said...

Liebe Carola,
wenn ich male, sieht das Ergebnis auch selten so aus, wie es von mir geplant war - aber es zählt, dass man es getan hat, und das Ergebnis besitzt oft einen eigenen Reiz. Deine Wonky Lion Woman gefällt mir, sie besitzt Ausstrahlung!
Schönes Wochenende und alles Liebe,
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/09/ausflug-nach-marchegg-schloss-storche.html

PS: Ich muss dich jetzt mal kurz etwas fragen: Ich habe dir auf deine Mail wegen des Kirschkuchens geantwortet, aber ich bekam die Nachricht, dass meine Mail unzustellbar ist. Ist diese Mail (bzw. eine meiner beiden anderen Mails an dich) je bei dir angekommen?