Monday, November 14, 2022

A Visit to Vipiteno / Sterzing

 

Between the Jaufenpass which we had just passed and the Brennerpass which forms the border between Italy and Austria and is one of the principal passes of the Eastern Alpine range lies the small town of Sterzing (German) or Vipiteno (Italian). Since we're still in the autonomous province of Südtirol, you hear more German here than Italian.

The community of Vipiteno only has a population of about 7000 - 8000, but because of its location between the Jauffen- and Brennerpass it has been an important trading town for centuries. In 14 BC a Roman fort was built in this location, and in 1182 the name Sterzing was first established. It experienced its strongest boom in the 15th century with the start of silver mining in the region.

Many buildings along the main pedestrian zone date back to that time, including the Zwölferturm (Torre delle dodici) which was built in 1468 - 1472. It is 46 meters tall and therefore the tallest building in the town and also its landmark. It got its name - twelve tower - because its noon ringing of the bell was calling the people to lunch.

I especially liked the gate.

We stopped in this town for one main reason - gelato. We weren't disappointed.

We strolled along the pedestrian zone, Kaefer and I went into some of the stores and each of us bought one of the bells that the cows in the Alps wear around their necks. These, of course, were much smaller bells, but quite cute. Whenever I look at it I'm thinking of Südtirol.

Since this is a very old town, there were little side and back alleys to discover as well as old doors.


I loved this sculpture holding the basket with the plants.


It was in front of a wine shop. Behind it you can see a wooden box filled with wine bottles. But somehow I think this is not enough for Elizabeth and Bleubeard's T Tuesday. However, since we didn't have any drink here - at least none that we took a picture of - I have to fall back to one of my mugs that I use for drinking coffee or hot chocolate. This mug came from my favorite Swedish company





22 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

I just love where you took us today. I enjoyed seeing this city and it's very old architecture-what an awesome place to live in.
Love your coffee mug too very sweet
Happy T Kathy

Kate Yetter said...

More stunning views. I love the photo with the hills in the background and the tower in the center. Those sculpted doors are a work of art.
Such a cute mug, love the rain drops.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Mae Travels said...

what a picturesque little town! I enjoyed your photos, and I'd love to eat some of that gelato.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

So ein hübscher, kleiner Ort! Beeindruckend, so im Tal liegend. Und italienisch zu hören ist immer wundervoll.
Das beste Eis hier ist auch gelato von "echten" Italienern, die nun auch schon wieder in ihrer Heimat sind. Bis zum nächsten Frühsommer :-)

Elephant's Child said...

Yet another beautiful place that I wouldn't have seen without you. Many thanks.

roentare said...

Beautiful township there. Love this series

Let's Art Journal said...

That's such a beautiful town! I can see the Italian influence with the pastel colours of the building and archways leading to the town, and of course that fabulous ice cream - yum 😊. There is so much beauty to see and the clock tower is amazing. Loving your bird mug and all the surrounding items; I can see why the mug is your favourite and the camel made me smile! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh my! What a fantastic town this is! I adore that clock tower! The gelato looks yummy - bit cold for that now! Happy T Day, Chrisx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Dear Carola: You really have to stop this, you know. You are responsible for turning the whole world green with envy. Perhaps that's a good thing - if we all had the same complexion that would at least remove one reason for us to hate each other. Such wonderful travels you have, such amazing places you visit. And gelato too! Colour it heaven. Hugs - David

Jeanie said...

This is the most charming and picturesque town and another I've never heard of. I love how it is nestled in the mountain valley and as you look down the streets you see those remarkable mountains in the background. The stores look so colorful and that ice cream to die for! What a day!

My name is Erika. said...

I'm enjoying my armchair travel with you Carola. Especially the gelato. Ice cream was my mom's favorite thing to eat. And I think I must agree with her-smile. And I do love your mug too. It is lots of fun. I hope you have a great week ahead and T day too. Hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

Wow. In one of the photos there is a galeria. I would love to go inside there. Thank you for taking us on such a beautiful trip. I so enjoyed it. Have a great day.

Barb said...

Carola - that gelato was decadent! Loved seeing the old architecture of Sterzing.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

For the life of me, I can't believe I missed this. I got caught up sending others e-mails copying and pasting the comments I couldn't leave on their blog posts.

What a stunning ancient city. That bell tower is jaw dropping. So many beautiful sites to take in and such lovey arches, gates, doors, and streets.

I actually saw bottles of wine, but I am impressed you were worried I wouldn't, so thanks for sharing this favorite mug with us, along with the visit to the town of Sterzing and that yummy gelato for T this Tuesday, dear Carola.

Valerie-Jael said...

I love the photos, what a wonderful place. And Gelato.... Our Italian ice café has just closed for the winter, sad! Have a great T DAY; HUGS, Valerie

Lisca said...

What a lovely place. I know it as Vipiteno and I might even have been there because we used to go skiing in that area 40 years ago.
The clock tower is indeed beautiful.
Thanks for taking me on a tour of the town, ( and getting me an ice cream too).
Happy T Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Lowcarb team member said...

Your photographs are wonderful, what a picturesque place.
I'm sure the gelato tasted delicious :)

All the best Jan

pam nash said...

Lovely lovely beautiful. Amazing that a place like that still is a beautiful as it is.

CJ Kennedy said...

Another beautiful fairytale town. Oh, my that gelato looks fabulous. Happy T Day

DUTA said...

What a gem! A town with mountains, back alleys, a clock tower, special gates and ancient architecture. Such a treat to visit this town!

Rostrose said...

Liebe Carola,
du entführst uns in die allerhübschesten Städtchen - Sterzing ist eines davon, und es hat wieder sehr, sehr viel Persönlichkeit. Wunderschöne Gebäude in traumhafter Landschaft. Oh mei, und das Eis sieht ja extrem verlockend aus. Zum Glück (für meine Klamotten, aus denen ich sonst platzen würde) ist es hier so kalt, dass der Eisguster bald wieder verebbt.
Danke dir für deinen lieben Kommentar zu meinem vorigen Post. Du hast mich dort gefragt: "Wie weit ist Tulln von euch entfernt? Mein Schwager (Bruder meines Mannes) mit seinem Sohn und seiner Partnerin leben dort." - Wir brauchen mit dem Auto rund eine Stunde nach Tulln. Falls ihr mal deinen Schwager besucht, schaffen wir ja vielleicht ein Treffen :-)
Alles Liebe, happy T-Day und hab eine gute Zeit!
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/11/internationale-glastage-in-der.html

Lorrie said...

This town looks like a wonderful place to wander and explore. Beautiful photos. I like the mountains surrounding the town, and the old doors. And of course the gelato!