Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Black Friday by the Sea


"I feel most at home out along the Ocean's edge, where land meets sea. It is here along these rocky, life filled pools, giant kelp forests, and flat rock fishing holes that life reaches into me with a soothing calm." - Jesse Lee Longacre

Many years ago, back in the early 2000s, the Geek enjoyed a good Black Friday shopping. He would get up before the crack of dawn and stand in line to get some pretty good deals (at that times you would actually still get good deals). After a few hours he would return home to have a long and lazy breakfast with Kaefer and me - and entertain us with the funniest stories about the things he had experienced while standing in line. But after a few years the appeal had vanished and Black Friday shopping stopped in the Bartz household. Instead, we stayed at home and spent a wonderfully lazy day, playing games, putting up the Christmas lights on the house and eating too many cookies. A couple years later, REI introduced the #optoutside Black Friday with their own stores closed so that their employees could enjoy the great outdoors. We enthusiastically embraced it and since then, we have spent Black Friday far away from any shopping and any laziness.

This year was no exception. The weather was gorgeous and we decided to go to the ocean and spend the day in Salt Point State Park. This state park has been on our list for quite a while and I honestly don't know why we didn't go there sooner. It is a gem.

Salt Point has a very rough and wild shoreline. It is named for the cliffs and crevices where salt from ocean water crystallizes in sandstone depressions. The Native Kashia Pomo gathered salt here for centuries. One of the most unusual and beautiful features of the sandstone along these sea cliffs is the honeycomb-like network called tafoni.

The waves and salt spray leave salt crystals which interact with the sandstone, causing some portions to be hardened, while others are loosened. This creates the lacy, box-like pattern. There were many to find here.

How can you not love this texture on the sandstone? It is simply amazing.

We were constantly putting up our cameras, taking pictures. If it wasn't the tafoni, it was the "lovely rough" sea that captured us with its tall waves - some of them were a good ten feet tall and arrived in the typical "sleeper wave" pattern (a series of very powerful waves followed by a smooth sea followed by very powerful waves etc.). The constant noise from the crashing onto the shore sometimes was so loud that we had to shout to each other.

Beside the tafoni, I was fascinated by the entire geology of this place. Rock surfaces were different, some smooth, some rough. Some reminded me of the slick rock in places like Canyonlands or Arches National Parks. Water pooling in depressions washed out the sandstone even further. There were different colored layers of rock and I repeatedly wished that I knew more about geology. A geologist would have a hayday at this shoreline.




A sea urchin had become lunch for a passing sea gull.


A tide pool served as a mirror for the clouds in the sky.


Sometime during the day I came upon this sign that inspired the quote at the top of this post.


Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything about Jesse Lee Longacre except that he was only 41 years old when he died. Maybe he was a tribe member of the Kashia Pomo. His words truly spoke to me.

I was happy to see a few birds - right when we started out I saw a hawk disappearing in the forest beyond the shore and a kite hovering over the cove. I thought I had taken a photo of the kite, but I can't find it anymore. It's a mystery.

But there was this sweet little sparrow that came to rest on this beautiful rock cairn.


A Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) flew by and landed a bit further down the way. What a graceful guy he is.


Before I saw the Black Oystercatchers (Haematopus bachmani) I had heard them and was looking for them. They were darting up and down among the rocks, probably looking for mollusks.


Nature is just the greatest and most accomplished artist. That's why this shoreline is my contribution to Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date this week. What did we have for dinner on this wonderful day? Well, we drove a bit further up North to Gualala and had lunner at the Seafood Shack - clam chowder, local rock fish and chips accompanied by a bottle of local beer.



On our way back home we witnessed a beautiful sunset over the ocean. We made it just in time to a parking spot next to Highway 1 - weren't we lucky that there was some pampas grass growing (non-native and invasive, but beautiful) along the road that made a splendid foreground?








 

19 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Wunderschöne Fotos und 1000 Mal besser als Chaos-Shopping!
Ich habe das noch nie gemacht (Menschenmassen sind eh nicht meins) und, soo wie du sagst, heutzutage kommt es sogar in den Nachrichten (!), dass man ganz genau aufpassen soll, weil Vieles eben kein Schnäppchen ist.
Dann lieber ans Meer!
Oh, das vermisse ich so sehr! Das letzte Mal war 2019...

roentare said...

Such a beautiful coast with unique stones. The sunset is so good!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Good morning, Carola: I have never participated in The Black Friday frenzy, thank goodness. I am not inclined to visit shopping malls under normal conditions unless I absolutely have to. Your choice to go to the shore would draw me in though, and the location you chose looks truly wonderful. The area where the ocean meets the land is always of great interest to a naturalist and I have spent countless happy hours probing through tide pool and watching birds exploit the riches of rocky shores. I have to remember to keep an eye open for the tide coming in if it is that time of day! With any luck we will be able to enjoy some time at the ocean again next year. Fingers crossed! Hugs - David

Elephant's Child said...

What a totally magnificent place - and day.
You got the very best of deals in deciding to step away from the stores.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

This is a wonderful post, Carola ... so much beauty in nature and still I see things I have never seen before. Your pictures are perfect and I hope you find that hawk ... I am guessing he was a handsome fellow. Chowder, fish and chips with beer ... what a perfect way to end your trip and the sunsets are magnificent. Like you, I love nature ... everything about it is inspiring. I loved this whole post, Carola ... you have made my day :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Christine said...

Gorgeous photos, the food looks good.

Gillena Cox said...

Luv the photos. Have a wonderful Thursday.

Much💜love

My name is Erika. said...

That looks like an amazing state park. You had some rougher seas, which are always great to see. Those rocks have some interesting textures too. But even better, it sounds like you had a lovely day out. Thanks for sharing Carola. Happy December. hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

What an absolute wonderful day out you had. I really loved and enjoyed all the photos so much. I have never been further west than Colorado-this shoreline was magical, thanks so much for sharing with us
Kathy

Lorrie said...

What a glorious outing! And I learned something new from your post - the honeycomb formations in the beach rocks are tafoni! We have lots of that here, too.
Your lunner looks like it was filling and delicious!

pam nash said...

Lovely, lovely. I am most happy at the beach. I love the patterns on the rocks at your beach.

Jeanie said...

It looks like we think on the same lines. I don't venture out to stores on Black Friday -- really never have. There is nothing I need so badly and the crowds are insane and people not very nice! I like your celebration much better. The photos are lovely and it looks like a great day.

Tom said...

...you beautifully captured Mother Nature's handiwork. Enjoy your weekend.

EricaSta said...

Ye, I agree with the comments before. This is such a fantastice landscape. Interesting to see you captures, to read about ... thank you for sharing.

Lowcarb team member said...

A FABULOUS post.
Your photographs are amazing, I enjoyed each and every one of them :)

All the best Jan

Willkommen auf meiner Kreativseite. said...

Hallo Carola,
wunderschöne Fotos sind das wieder! Da wünscht man sich dort zu sein. Das würde ich diesem Einkaufstrubel, wo eh alles überteuert ist, auch vorziehen.
Dieser Black Friday hat es bis nach Deutschland geschafft und man hört schon Wochen vorher (und auch noch danach) nichts anderes mehr in der Werbung. Das ist richtig nervig geworden.

Ich wünsche dir und deiner Familie eine besinnliche Adventszeit
LG
Renate

Juvenal Nunes said...

Estranhas e caraterísticas rochas.
Belas imagens do pôr-do-sol.
Abraço fotográfico.
Juvenal Nunes

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Overall, the way you choose to spend Black Friday wounds like it was a perfect choice, Carola. We also did not venture out for any shopping and that included online as well. The rocks and the sea were lovely and Salt Lake State Park would be my choice to visit and revisit. I was unfamiliar with tafoni before reading it in your post, but it does create such beautiful patterns in the sandstone. Lunner looked delicious and what a great sunset you captured to end the day.

Rain said...

What a beautiful way to spend ANY day! That tofina is just gorgeous! Nature makes beautiful works of art! I love everything you had on your dinner plate! Clam chowder and fish and chips! I love fish and chips, reminds me I should make some. I make a nice tartar sauce too which I will share next week! Lovely post thank you Carola! ♥