Wednesday, November 9, 2022

The Autumn Garden

 

Despite our long dry summer and some extremely hot days in September, we have had a glorious autumn so far. This season is not so much about "putting the garden to bed", but still enjoy its richness and abundance of color.

While California does not have the rich fall colors like the Northeastern US, there are some trees that delight us with their brilliant colors every year. One of them is the Chinese Pistache (Pistacia chinensis) in my garden. Since I planted it 9 years ago it has doubled in size and its fall color seems to get more stunning year after year. Chinese Pistache is a popular street tree in my area and when you see its colors you understand why. It also needs no additional water in the summer.

Pineapple Sage (Salvia elegans) is a late season bloomer that puts up a real show with Mexican Bush Sage (Salvia leucantha) as a backdrop. Both need very little water, are great pollinator plants and very popular with our birds.


One of my favorite late season plants that are native to California is the California Fuchsia (Epilobium canum). It is very low in maintenance, doesn't need much summer water and blooms in rich orange and red shades. Hummingbirds love it. It is often overlooked since it is not a showy spring or summer plant with its green-greyish foliage color. But come autumn - it's a show stopper.


Late summer into fall brings the Fiery Skipper (Hylephila phyleus) into my garden. This year I saw more than usual. For some reason I love these little guys.


My entire garden is a low water garden. In the summer it usually goes for two weeks between watering, except for very hot periods. This doesn't mean it's a bland, colorless garden or a desert garden - on the contrary. I constantly get compliments about the lushness of my plants and all the activity by insects and birds that is going on here. It just depends on planting the right plants in the right location. Therefore, it is utterly surprising that the Swamp Sunflower (Helianthus angustifolius) is thriving in this setting. I planted it years ago at a very weak moment when I was enticed by its showy yellow flowers. It is neither native to California nor drought tolerant. It doesn't get any special treatment. Still, every autumn it displays its splendid flowers for about two weeks. It loves to mingle with the Verbena bonariensis next to it (which is super drought tolerant).


The following was a mystery for me for quite some time, until I found out that these are seeds of Iris foetidissima. This iris is native to Britain and its natural range is Western Europe. I have no idea how it appeared in my garden. I didn't plant it - I don't even particularly like irises. I assume birds might be the culprits since I see these seedheads in other gardens in the neighborhood as well. The seeds are very showy, but still I wonder. The other plant that turns up uninvited early every spring is African Flag (Chasmanthe floribunda) which is native to the Cape Province of South Africa, but has naturalized in California. These are the little surprises in my garden.


A very fall-colorful California native is the "Roger's Red" grape (Vitis californica) which is a great habitat plant. It grows vigorously, its grapes are very small but sweet and tasty. The autumn color is simply stunning.



We are very fortunate to have had some very needed rain. Here you can see how the water steams off in the morning sun:


I have a Pineapple Guave tree (Feijoa sellowiana) in my garden that came with the house. This year I had so much fruit that we couldn't eat it all on our own, so I gave loads away.


In October and even at the beginning of November there were still tomatoes on the vines.


This leads me right to Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date. A couple days ago I brought in my last big harvest of tomatoes and I decided to make tomato sauce and freeze it, so that we can still enjoy some summery flavors later in the year. I cook my tomatoes with their skins, just add lots of basil, some red pepper flakes as well as salt and black pepper. 


And since I had a colorful trio of bell peppers (not from the garden), I decided to braise them with a big yellow onion, garlic, a generous amount of cumin plus two bay leaves and some salt and pepper. After about 30 minutes I let it cool completely and then put it in the freezer.


A trip to the farmers market today resulted in some wonderful fresh vegetables. Oh I do love where I live.




22 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Loving your autumnal display - and so very pleased that you have had rain.
Your meals look delicious too.

roentare said...

The flowers are so beautiful here. The eggplants in the end look so petite

Gillena Cox said...

Wow!!!
Happy Thursday Carola

much💛love

Iris Flavia said...

Sehr, sehr schön!
Über das Video musste ich lachen.
Das sah bei mir vorhin genauso aus, ich dachte erst, es brennt.
Nein, die kreischenden Sägen gleich unter meinem Fenster haben nur den Betonstaub nach oben gewirbelt.
So arbeitet sich das richtig entspannt. Nicht (kreisch).

Tja, komisch! Sonst steht um die Ecke ein ähnlicher Karton (natürlich nur mit schnöden Äpfeln) - wir hatten einen super-Sommer... zu heiß für Äpfel? Keine Kiste...
Tolle Tomaten!

Die Pfote im letzten Bild... süß :-)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Such an abundance of fruit, Carola. Kudos you for sharing the excess with others. It is simple acts of kindness like this can go a long way towards making the world a better place. Hugs - David

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Lovely post-I really enjoyed all these beautiful fall colors. I loved my pineapple sage plant this year and even made soap with the leaves and dried leaves and flowers for tea. Here though this plant is an annual. great foods too Happy Thursday

kathyinozarks said...

PS cool video with the steam

Michelle said...

This all looks gorgeous to me! My garden is finished for the year and I am getting produce from the grocery now. Farmer's Markets are over, too.

Christine said...

Gorgeous autumn photos.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Splendid photos of the fall colors and your tomatoes look delicious. I braise peppers a lot, but I eat them ... don't know if I could freeze them all without taking a big taste out of them :) Your Farmer's market must be wonderful ... love the fresh dill ... Enjoy, enjoy, Carola ... winter is coming and we will have to find our joy inside somehow :(

Andrea @ From the Sol

Valerie-Jael said...

Your colourful post is wonderful, a riot of trees, foliage, fruit and veggies. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Valerie

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a great display of florals and foliage, Carola, especially after my mid-week walk in the nearby park with all of its bare tree limbs. That said, it was great fun to hear the crunch of leaves underfoot.The homemade sauce and still having fresh tomatoes is wonderful. It was funny to see the cat's paw near the basket of the farmers market veggies.farmer's market

pam nash said...

Very pretty garden you have. The only thing that shows up in my yard uninvited are really bothersome weeds.

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Wow!! Your garden looks incredibly beautiful. You have created such a beautiful place with low water is really quite amazing. The rain was so good. I do hope there is a lot more this year.

-Soma

Tom said...

...autumn looks mighty good in your area! Enjoy your weekend.

Lowcarb team member said...

Beautiful colours in your photographs.

The fresh vegetables in your basket look wonderful.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

I'd say you have some fabulous color and yes, even on the trees. Best of all, your color isn't just trees and bushes but those glorious flowers and foods still in bloom. I love your garden and each and every photo here, all of which make me smile big!

Rain said...

Carola I'm so impressed that you have tomatoes on the vine like that, and great job on preserving them for winter! ☺ The iris plant is lovely, your fall garden is so colourful and beautiful! ♥

DVArtist said...

OMG! What a beautiful garden and all that you grew. Just fabulous. The fall colors there are gorgeous too. Free food that is the best part. Giving. Glad you got some rain and your food looks amazing. Have a very nice day today.

John's Island said...

Hello Carola, Great to see you in my comments! Thank you for all the kind words. I’ve got to get back on regular visits to your blog. I love all the color in this post. Thanks for all the info on the plants. And, yes, I am so envious of where you live! 😊 The tomato sauce, the bell peppers and onions, and the basket of veggies … all stirring up an appetite! Thanks so much for sharing your blog! John

Lorrie said...

Your drought tolerant garden is full of beautiful colour, Carola. Well done for choosing the right plants. Garden surprises do tend to show up quite frequently - birds and squirrels do the job.

Barb said...

Your garden is a feast for the eyes! It's still so lush even as the seasons change. Mine are covered by snow now, but Bob did scatter wildflower seeds over the weekend. Now we'll have to be patient to see if we get blooms.