Monday, November 7, 2022

Crossing the Alps


We're getting closer to the end of our short six-country-trip, but I'm afraid for the last day I will need more than one post. Today, we're starting in Südtirol (South Tyrol) which is an autonomous province in the North of Italy. The majority of the population here speaks German followed by Italian (less than a quarter of the population) and Ladin (less than 5%). Südtirol is the wealthiest province in Italy and among the wealthiest in the European Union. I want to add it is also one of the most beautiful ones. As you can guess, the region has a tumultuous history like so many parts in Europe. With the new  right-wing government in Rome, many people in Südtirol are also afraid that their autonomy might be limited in the future.

After we left the Campanile di Curon, we eventually found a beautiful place to stay in the village of St. Martin in Passeier (San Martino In Passiria) - an entire flat with several rooms and a balcony, plus a delicious breakfast served the next morning, accompanied by good conversation with the hosts. This was the view from our appartment:

In the evening we went down into the village to a nice restaurant where we could sit on the terrace and eat while watching the mountains' Alpenglühen (alpenglow). The food was delicious! We had it with a bottle of the local white wine which was excellent (we would call that "süffig" in German for which there is no adequate translation to English). Of course this is for Elizabeth and Bleubeard's T stands for Tuesday where you need to post something drink related.

From left to right: Trio of dumplings (beets, cheese, spinach); homemade potato gnocchi with asparagus, prosciutto and ramsons pesto; filet of trout with veggie gnocchi


This was followed by dessert - dark and light tartufo (left) and panna cotta.


The next morning we started the last leg of our trip, the journey back to München. First, we need to cross a part of the Alps. Let's take the Jaufenpass (Passo di Monte Giovo) which is a high mountain pass at an elevation of 2094 meters. It was a pleasant, mostly sunny day and we stopped many times to take in the views.



Of course, we took family pictures again - how could we not?


I enjoyed all the wildflowers in the area.



Almost at the top - let's take a look back from where we came.




Finally at the top - looking back and ahead:



This brought back so many memories of familiy vacations spent in the Alps in my childhood. I stood at this place more than 50 years ago and I was just in awe as I was as a child. The majesty of the mountains are second to none.

Like so often in the Alps, there was a tiny chapel at the pass.


Next week I will tell you about the next stop of our journey, but today I want to show you some happy mail that I got. The first one, from Elle, I received several weeks ago. She knows that I love cats (and so does she) and sent me a cat card - how cute is this? And look at the beautiful stamps!


The second one made its way from Australia. Over the years, Elephant's Child has sent me magnets of Floriade, an annual flower and entertainment festival in Canberra. They are on my fridge and always remind me of the time when we were both writing for Vision and Verb - that's actually how we "met". This year's magnet is particularly beautiful and I love the happy sunflower card.


If you're in the US, go out today and vote (if you haven't already done so). Our democracy is at stake.








23 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Your beautiful ALpine scenery makes me happy, just to see the photos. What a great trip you had.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

I love all these mountain views-you had such a wonderful trip, with all the places you visited. the food looks really delicious too. Happy T Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, this area is so beautiful Carola. You took quite the trip back in the spring. Not only is this area pretty, but you ate well too. It is always fun to try new or not the usual cuisine (as this might not be new to you). And I learned the name of a new language too-Ladin. I hope you have a lovely T day. hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

OMGosh! What strunning photos and such an icredible trip. I didn't realize it is so green there. The food looks amazing too. I love seeing the photos of all three of you. Have a lovely evening.

Cloudia said...

Voted! Thanks for this high mountain inspiration

Iris Flavia said...

Hmmm, die ersten beiden Gerichte sehen superlecker aus! Jetzt bin ich hungrig (und es ist 05:24 morgens!).
Diese Hütten sehen "zauberhaft" aus. Es muss ein beschwerliches Leben gewesen sein. Aber vielleicht (im Sommer) sehr schön.
Schönes Familienfoto. Und der Löwenzahn, sehr schönes Foto!

Awww, tolle Tabby-Briefmarke!

Ja, wählen sollte Pflicht sein. Hier gehen so viele nicht und meckern hinterher, die Logik ergründet sich mir nicht...

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad that the magnet and card arrived and that you like them. That cat stamp is very special indeed.
I have been loving travelling vicariously with you and your family. Many thanks.

roentare said...

The mountain views are priceless

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful scenery,breathtaking views and good food and wine, perfect. The photo of you three is wonderful. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

nwilliams6 said...

Wow, some breathtaking photos, Carola. This trip has us all drooling!

That food is droolworthy as well. The wine puts my little wine pictures to shame -lol. I pretended to be somewhere really special though.

You are so right on the voting!

Happy T-day and hugz

David M. Gascoigne, said...

How can it be that I had never heard of this northern, German-speaking region of Italy, Carola? Any thoughts I ever had of being a sophisticated world traveller have been dashed! It looks absolutely gorgeous and I hope the right-wing fanatics in Rome leave it alone. The people there have obviously done a great job, so why mess with a good thing? I too received a fridge magnet from Sue. What a kind and generous person she is. I have my fingers crossed for a Democrat sweep today, although I think that is unlikely to happen. If the Republicans control both the House and Senate the bells will begin to toll for the end of democracy in the United States. And Herr Trump is musing about running again. Please, no! Hugs - David

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an incredible trip. I have to admit the Alps were my favorite. Not that I haven't enjoyed all that came before, but the beauty of these mountains and the farms sitting on the mountain side are just stunning.

I loved the selfie, the road that led to the top of the mountain, the wildflowers, and the simply stunning views you shared with us.

The food all looks good to me. Your dark and light tartufo look wonderful, too. Not your typical ice cream, that's for sure. And of course, you were definitely in wine country.

Thanks for sharing your trip through the Alps, your food, and wine with us for T this Tuesday, dear Carola.

I love your tabbie and I got the same Queen postage stamps, which I put to good use in a journal page.

Sue is a wonderful and very thoughtful person. I almost asked her for one of those magnets, then thought that was being too bold.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful place, I bet you enjoyed all your travel adventures with your family! The scenery is amazing and wow, that food looks delicious ☺️. That's such a lovely photo of you all too! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

DUTA said...

What can I say? I envy the awsome places you've been to, the sweet company of your beautiful family, the great food eaten on the way.
I've greatly enjoyed your photos and descriptions.

Darla said...

Your photos are always beautiful. I enjoy seeing the various places you visit.
Yes, I voted early by mail. I'm happy not to have to go out in our rain today.

BTW, later today I will post that lemon cake recipe you asked for. So easy and so good.

ashok said...

Awesome place

pam nash said...

Such beautiful photos. I always enjoy your travelogues.

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Carola, wouldn't that be an amazing place to live! It's so lovely and green. Glad you liked the cat card, I really love these cards too. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

jinxxxygirl said...

Carola i can never thank you enough for taking me along on your trip.. The scenery, the food, the wildflowers.. just beautiful! So nice when a friend knows what you like! Cats!! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

CJ Kennedy said...

Such breath-taking views. I think I loved this part of your trip best. Happy T Day

Jeanie said...

Those photos look like the opening scene in "The Sound of Music." Where's Julie?!!! And the food looks delicious.

Love the cat and queen stamps. Two of my faves!

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a beautiful area you visited! A fabulous place to share with family! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

How wonderful to be able to take a trip in the alps from the comfort of my chair and your blog post, thanks, Carola, for the excursion. The views were spectacular and that food looked delicious as I am sure it was when enjoyed with a nice glass of wine. Of course, you had to include a family selfie, why would you not?