Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Tuscan Butter Salmon

 

We love to eat salmon, it's a very tasty fish and it's good for you (all those Omega-3 fatty acids). There are many ways to prepare it, however, we are picky in one regard - it has to be Pacific salmon, and we especially love wild caught sockeye salmon with its rich color and even richer flavor. Compared to that, Atlantic salmon which is often farm raised appears pretty bland. 

Usually I cook salmon without following any recipe - you can fry it, bake it, broil it, grill it. You can make wonderful salmon dips with hot smoked salmon (here is a recipe). Cold smoked salmon is tasty on bagels or mixed into a pasta dish and had been our traditional Christmas Eve meal. When I found the recipe for Tuscan Butter salmon, I had to try it - it has become a favorite dish and a nice glass of a dry white wine completes the meal.


Fresh sockeye salmon is expensive, so I usually buy the frozen one at Trader Joe's which is much more affordable (I don't know whether only the Trader Joe's on the West Coast carries it or you can get it all over the country). Thaw overnight in the fridge and it's good to go for your dinner.

Since it already has the veggies and the cream, I often serve "blitz"-focaccia with it that I had baked in the afternoon (recipe here).


Sometimes I put lemons on it, sometimes I don't - it depends on my mood (and whether I just ran out off lemons...),


If you're interested in the recipe, you can find it here. This is one of the recipes that was perfect from the start, so I never had to change anything.


We have salmon fairly often and if there is a special occasion I even get fresh sockeye from the farmers market. For a regular weeknight meal I sometimes grill it in my grill pan and serve sautéed veggies on the side.


Another favorite way is covering it with a mixture of breadcrumbs, olive oil or melted butter, garlic, herbs and parmesan, then bake it in the oven.


When I was making it this way the last time, I had too much of the breadcrums-mix, so I just threw it in with the zucchini for the last couple minutes of sautéeing. It was delicious.


I'm linking up to Kathy's Food Wednesdays.




10 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, your photos are so awesome-you could be a food blogger for sure-hugs
I love salmon too, and I only purchase wild caught usa fresh when I can find it too No farm raise especially in other countries those can be not too healthy after reading about them
Your dish looks so delicious; I wish I could come over and have a serving-smiles.
I am off to check out your recipe links. Thank you so much for sharing with us on Food Wednesdays

My name is Erika. said...

Oh I love salmon and your meals look so delicious. I'm with you about western salmon. Wild caught here on the east coast is good also, but I'm not a big fan of farm raised. I always grill my salmon and eat it on the plain side, but these look wonderful. Especially the Tuscan style one. These have also made me hungry. Guess I better go get some lunch. Have a great day Carola. hugs-Erika

Rain said...

I LOVE salmon! Your food looks so delicious Carola!! I think my favourite would be with the breadcrumbs! Yum! ☺

Elephant's Child said...

Salmon is SUCH a versatile food...

Linda Kunsman said...

I love salmon so much which is one of the reasons I will never go totally vegan or plant based;). But I do try for at least 3 plant based meals a week. Wonderful looking meals- thanks for the recipes and eye candy!

Christine said...

Sorry I meant to say this looks so good Carola, was looking at Deb's link.

jinxxxygirl said...

Carola.... not a fan of salmon.. .Wish i was.. as i know it is good for you... I would need to make the grilled one with no butter or cream... What are some good spices for it grilled ...? I may just have to try it again.. Happy Food Wednesdays! Hugs! deb

pam nash said...

Yum! Tuscan Butter Salmon. Recipe copied and pasted. Will try it next time I cook salmon.

Jeanie said...

We love salmon too. I need to remember to check TJs when we go -- we don't have a local, so when I go visit the kids, I stock up! We do have a pretty good grocery with lovely salmon that sometimes goes on sale and I jump at the chance. Our most common way (apart from grilling or roasting with lemon) is a soy sauce/brown sugar/something else marinade. But it's nice to change it up now and then so it doesn't get boring! Thanks for this!

DVArtist said...

I don't know how I missed this post. OMG! Give me Salmon. These just look amazing.