Monday, April 11, 2022

Cats And Coffee

 

Do you see the cat on the moped? This little guy entertained us a few years ago while we were sitting in a little street café called "Green Corner" almost right next to the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. It was the morning after the wedding of the Geek's cousin and we just had a few more hours before his mother, brother and nephew had to leave for the airport for their flights back home (we were lucky to have one more week in Turkey to look forward to). After the wedding that started late in the evening and lasted into the early morning hours, we were a bit tired and didn't feel much like walking around. So we had some iced coffee in this little street café that we had frequented several times during the week before.


However, this was the first time that we saw this cat. It inspected the moped, hopped on the seat and finally lay down to take a short nap.




This wasn't the only time that we were entertained or visited by a cat while taking a coffee break. It happened again when we had a very delicious iced coffee (they make great iced coffee in Turkey) in a little street café in Selçuk (which is not far from the famous site of Ephesus).


We were planning the next day when this little cat turned up and decided to hang out right next to us. I ended up resting halfway on the sidewalk and halfway on the street. It didn't mind since everybody in Turkey seemed to be very considerate of stray cats and dogs. The Turkish people feed them, give them places to sleep safely, care for them, even pay veterinary bills if the need arises. If a cat crosses a street, traffic comes to a stop and everybody waits patiently until the little stinker is on the other side of the street. I've never seen a country where stray animals are so much loved as in Turkey.



Back in Istanbul, we of course paid a last visit to the "Green Corner" for our last Turkish iced coffee. There was no way we would leave without a final taste of this delicacy.


Guess who was there? Our little moped loving four-legged friend.


Have you watched the movie "Kedī" (Turkish for 'cat')? It's a wonderful little movie about the cats in Istanbul and the people of Istanbul. I watched it after having been to Istanbul and I felt like being back in the magical city. I wrote about the cats of Istanbul here.

The coffee, of course, is for the T gang - all gathered for Elizabeth's T Tuesday.






25 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good afternoon, I really enjoyed your post, a very sweet story with the kitties. and those coffees looked so delicious too. Loved seeing all the photos Happy T

Jeanie said...

I love Moped Cat. And the fact that they so carefully care for cats in Turkey. I don't know Kedi -- I'll have to check it out!

Sharon Madson said...

What a great post! I love the cat entertainment, and that iced coffee looks yummy. I don't even drink coffee! LOL Happy T Day!

My name is Erika. said...

I would love to visit Istanbul one day. It looks so lovely there, and how fun to have all those kitties. Do you think they found you or are they always there? This is a great post Carola, and I hope you have a great T day and week ahead. Hugs-Erika

Linda Kunsman said...

what yummy looking iced coffee, but you had me at that sweet kitty on the moped! So happy to read of how well the strays are cared for. What a sigh of relief that gives me. Such sweet photos. Happy T day!

Mae Travels said...

Wonderful photos! Such sweet cats. I think they are native to that part of the world.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Elephant's Child said...

I can no longer drink it (big sigh) but these photos reminded me just how much I enjoyed iced coffee. And of course the cats melted my heart. Hooray for a country that treats stray animals well.

nwilliams6 said...

Wonderful post, Carola! I have never wanted to go to Turkey, but now I want to go! Love the coffee pictures but they kitties are the best. GREAT pictures as well - you have much talent. Happy T-day and hugz

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you for the smile - one day.... one day I´ll just bring in cats and hope for the best!!! Happy T-Day, too.

Lisca said...

What a coincidence! You write about the Vespa (the scooter called 'wasp') and I wrote about it's big brother Ape, (the three-wheeler called 'bee'), made by the same manufacturers.
But that aside. The star of the show is the cat. Such great photos!
Yes, here in rural Spain, people look after street cats. Not many people actually own a cat. We have a street cat living on our premises (doesn't come in) and we feed it and have taken it to the vet. That's what you do. We've had this one spade as colonies can get quite big and then they become a pest.
I love Turkey. I visited twice in the early seventies. It's probably very different now. In those days there were no tourists.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

Divers and Sundry said...

The cat obviously knows it owns the world :) It's wonderful to see animals well taken care of like that. Happy T Tuesday

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, that iced coffee looks good and I enjoyed your photos, the cat is so sweet 😁. Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

Darla said...

Your photos are wonderful. I so enjoyed the series of the cat on the moped. I think I need to find a place that serves some ided coffee. Maybe I'll wait until the weater warms up. We have been quite up and down with the temps lately,

pam nash said...

Seems to me that was a bit of a magical cat who followed you place to place!

jinxxxygirl said...

Thats so adorable.. the cats and the story. Thanks Carola Happy happy Tday! hugs! deb

Empire of the Cat said...

The cats are gorgeous, such a lovely story, and those coffees! Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the moped kitty. How good that stray dogs and cats in Turkey are treated so well. You're iced drinks look divine! Hugs, Valerie

DVArtist said...

Really lovely photos of the cat. Ice coffee not my thing but these look so good. Have a nice day.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I would have been here sooner, but I've been stuck with my new tax man most of the day. Nothing like waiting till the last minute.

You had me at cat and kept me at those incredible iced coffee drinks. Simply wonderful and it's great how Turkey feels about their cats. I think Bleubeard wants to move there! Thanks for taking us on this trip with you for T this Tuesday, dear Carola. BTW, I am sorry I didn't make it by for Food Wednesday last week.

Red Rose Alley said...

Fantastic photos of the cat that you saw spending time on the moped. I have to say that I'm a dog person, but this cat sure is pretty. I'll have to check out the movie. That's nice that the people in Turkey take such good care of stray cats. Your iced coffee looks delicious.

~Sheri

Kate Yetter said...

That cat was a stalker. Good thing that you like cats. Your drink looks delicious and refreshing.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Tom said...

...what a fabulous Vespa, it's beautiful!

Lorrie said...

What a cute kitten to watch while you enjoyed your iced coffee. It does look delicious and refreshing, although I never drink coffee.

CJ Kennedy said...

Delightful post and cute kitties. Too bad animals aren't treated well everywhere. Maybe caring for the animals would help us to care for each other better, too. Happy T Day

Rumpelkammer said...

wie süüß
ich liebe Katzen
frohe Ostern

Rosi