Monday, April 25, 2022

Sunday Wine Tasting


Last Sunday we went to our favorite winery in Healdsburg, Sapphire Hill Winery. We have been members of their wine club for several years and their wine seldom disappoints us. The winery doesn't have its own vineyards but buys the grapes from different vineyards and then makes their wine. It is owned by Chris and Lisa, and in addition to offering really nice wine, Lisa is also a great and experimental cook. Their wine tastings are always accompanied by food (at least for the club members). They used to do sit-down wine and food pairings (entire dinners) in their barrel room, but since the pandemic this unfortunately is a thing of the past (we hope that eventually they will come back). On Sunday we wanted to pick up our winter and spring shipment and since the weather was wonderful - sunny but not hot - we decided for a tasting on their patio.

We started out with a delicious warm brussels sprout dip - oh my lord! - paired with three sparkling wines (white, rosé and red).


We then had a potato leek soup with a dry Gewürztraminer followed by a red beet salad that had been pickled in the rosé that we were drinking with it. This was so refreshing!

On to the main "course", meatloaf sliders paired with a Zinfandel - I could have had more than one, to be honest. Zinfandel is my favorite red wine; the grape was brought to California in the mid 19th century and is genetically equivalent to the Croatian grapes Crljenak Kaštelanski and Tribidrag as well as the Primitivo variety that is grown in Apulia, Italy. However, even though it is grown across the United States, Zinfandel is essentially a California grape, and Sonoma County's Dry Creek Valley is one of the very best locations to grow it (aren't we lucky). 

The only thing left was the dessert - a warm brownie with salted caramel sauce. Lisa bakes these with ther raspberry-jalapeño jam in the centre that then oozes out when warmed. No, there is no heat and no taste of raspberry, just rich chocolate. This was paired with a full-bodied Old Vines Zinfandel.

You can probably guess where I am linking to - Elizabeth's T Tuesday and Kathy's Food Wednesdays. Thank you, ladies, for hosting!



22 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Oh wow I am hungry now and want a glass of wine in that pretty blue glass
This is so fun that they also pair their wines with foods. we have friends that live in Wisconsin and they love love to visit winerys and she always brings home one of the winery's glasses. I will ask her next time I see her if she ever has food with the tastings.
Happy T and this is perfect for Food Wednesdays too-hugs

Linda Kunsman said...

What a wonderful experience! I'd love to do a food and wine tasting some day. Would definitely love the first two foods, and I love red zinf too but don't have it much as hubby isn't such a fan. Happy T day!

My name is Erika. said...

This sounds like not only fun but very tasty Carola. It's like a great meal. Brussels sprout dip sounds amazing, and something unique. AS does that dessert. I love how she hid a little surprise in the middle. And nice how you get to taste some great wine too. Thanks for sharing this, and have a great T day and week ahead. And food Wednesday too. hugs-Erika

Kate Yetter said...

All the food looks delicious! Sounds like a great way to spend the afternoon.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

jinxxxygirl said...

What a wonderful tour of food and wine... Not for the first time i wish i liked wine.. I have had a sweet Moscato or two that i can tolerate but honestly just don't care for it.. Now i do like a nice champagne.. its all in the bubbles i guess..lol The food though looked delish! Happy Tday! Hugs! deb

Mae Travels said...

That looks fabulous!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

A former T Tuesday participant, Krisha, also did wine tasting. This was before Covid, so she shared formal meals, too. She was in Southern CA, though.

How nice to see all that food. Sorry, I just never cared for wine. It all tastes like vinegar to me, even the most expensive wines. One taste and I am done. I do love seeing all that gorgeous food, though. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos, the wine, and the great looking food with us for T this almost Tuesday. I guess I'll see you tomorrow for Food Wednesday, too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I forgot to mention, Lisa puts a lot of thought in her presentation.

Sharon Madson said...

What fancy meal, and with all that wine. I am not much of a gourmet of food or wine. But the dessert did appeal to me. :) Happy T Day.

Valerie-Jael said...

Oh my, I am hungry just thinking about it. The food looks great. I mustn't drink wine because of my medications, but it all sounds wonderful. Happy T Day, Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

That looks and sounds truly wonderful.

Jackie McGuinness said...

I would love to go there. Love the glasses, the food and of course, the wine!

Divers and Sundry said...

What a fun outing! It all looks so good :) Happy T Tuesday

Jeanie said...

How wonderful to have a favorite wine spot. And the food looks inventive and delicious, too. I love that you can do this outside! My kind of outing!

Let's Art Journal said...

Oh wow, that is such a lovely way to try all those different wines! The food looks so delicious, I would be in heaven 😁. Thanks for sharing and Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

Iris Flavia said...

A brussels sprout dip?! Do you have a recipe?
Ow. Mouthwatering, all that! (well... the dessert is for you only ;-)...)

Happy T-Day!

Bridget Larsen said...

I am amazed at all the different dips that are out there, your food looks so yummy
Bridget #14

CJ Kennedy said...

I've never been to a wine tasting. How absolutely fabulous! My favorite wine is Zinfandel, but I always thought it was a white or blush wine. The presentation of the food is so beautiful and looking at your brownie, I'm salivating faster than one of Pavlov's dogs. 😸Happy T Day

Empire of the Cat said...

Your wine tasting sounds like so much fun, and the food looks delicious but I would not want the brussel sprout dip, that would be like punishment haha but then I suppose I would need more wine to wash it down lol. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

DVArtist said...

Wowowow! This is a fabulous place with such first class wine and food. Very nice post. Have a great day.

Christine said...

Truly a gourmet meal, I am salivating.

Rain said...

Hi Carola! Oh how I wish I could have been there! I'm a wine lover myself. I'd say the Primitivos from Puglia are my favourites, then the California Zins! ☺☺ Brussels Sprout Dip!!! I had a double take, I would never have thought of that but can see how yummy it would be. The food looks delicious! What a nice outing! ☺☺