Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Gingery Fried Rice

 


Gingery fried rice is a dish that not only tastes delicious, but also cooks quickly, so it's important that you chop and prepare everything before you start the actual process of cooking, because once you start putting the first ingredients in the wok you won't have time for any prep work anymore. Depending on how you cook the rice, this can be a vegan dish (I always use a little butter while cooking rice, so not vegan for us) and if you substitute the soy sauce for tamari sauce it's also gluten free. I found the recipe in the NYT, but changed a few things. For example, the recipe asks for frozen peas, but since the Geek is allergic to peas that wasn't an option for us. I will show you my version here.

You will need:

  • 4 cups cooked, day-old jasmine rice
  • 5 TB canola oil
  • 3/4 pound (mixed) fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 3/4 pound baby bok choy, trimmed, then sliced crosswise
  • 5 scallions, trimmed, greens and whites thinly sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 2-3 TB finely chopped fresh ginger
  • 2 TB soy sauce (or tamari)
  • 2 TB sesame oil
  • 1/8 tsp white pepper
  • 1 egg


Take the cooked rice out of the refrigerator and set it aside at room temperature.

In a lare wok, heat 2 TB canola oil over medium-high. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, 5 or 6 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.

(As you can see, my wok is well used)

Add 1 TB canola oil to the wok and heat over medium-high. Add the bok choy, scallions, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and stir-fry, stirring frequently, until aromatic and barely crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the mushrooms.


Add the remaining 2 TB canola oil to the wok and heat over medium-high. Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted and toothsome, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and white pepper, and stir until rise is evenly coated in soy sauce mixture, and no uncoated rice grains remain, 1 to 2 minutes. In this step, you can also add zest and juice of one lemon, if you like - I sometimes do.




Stir in the mushrooms and bok choy mix and warm up, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


Crack the egg on top of it and stir until it is well mixed into the rice dish. 



Divide among bowls and serve hot. 


We like to drink a dry rosé with it. Bon appétit.


I'm linking to Food Wednesday.








19 comments:

Lorrie said...

Looks delicious! I love fried rice!

pam nash said...

Yum! Sounds like a great - what time is dinner??

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, oh my this brings back memories when my husband would do allot of cooking, when I had allot of mandatory overtime hours
We love dishes like this very much. thank you so much for the recipe and all of the lovely photos.
My husband spent several years living in Japan at a very young age before I met him. we used to produce a huge veggie garden and he would stir fry all sorts of dishes for the two of us. and I love bok choy
thanks for the memories too. His wok must be 50 years or more old now-well seasoned, and one better not over scrub it-smiles.
Just a note as I have the celiac. tamari used to always be gluten free-but recently many have now added wheat to them now (I learned the hard way) so if one needs to be sure must read labels now. I found a new product that I love called coconut aminos-tastes just like soy without all the salt. the sodium content is only 20 mg
thank you so much for joining in for Food Wednesdays hugs

DVArtist said...

ooohhhhhh yum yum yum. This is an excellent recipe. Thank you for sharing it. Have a nice day.

Michelle said...

This looks wonderful to me. It contains flavors that I enjoy, also I love those chopsticks.

jinxxxygirl said...

That looks so good Carola and what great pictures and explanation! Just a great post! Thanks so much and Happy Food Wednesday!! Hugs! deb

Christine said...

Looks so yummy thanks for sharing the recipe!

Elephant's Child said...

Yum. The fried rice I occasionally make is very similar - and you are right. The food prep has to be done before I start cooking.

My name is Erika. said...

This looks yummy Carola. I love rice dishes like this. I only wish my husband would eat rice. Smile. You could even add chicken to this if you didn't want to go vegetarian. hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

This looks delicious. Ginger is one of my favorite flavors and I think it enhances just about anything! The Rose would be a nice pairing!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've made fried rice before, but never used jasmine rice. I love your recipe. It looks a bit like the fried rice I cook, except I've never used bok choy. I love to add small popcorn sized shrimp to mine. This is a great recipe. I might try it one of these days, if I ever decide to bring my wok out of hibernation.

Iris Flavia said...

THAT looks yummy!!!! On the list for after Easter!
Jamie Oliver said for frying mushrooms you need no oil - I tried and really, the nutty taste came out better!
(Btw... do you say Hackepeter, too, if you use the word Kälberzähne, just curious... learn all this from Ingo´s family - and once I saw the word "Hackepeter" at the butcher!!!).


Oh, this looks yummy (sadly not for Hubby, as usual... - other we make it a tad different, will show him your recipe)

Valerie-Jael said...

So yummy! Hugs, Valerie

Linda Kunsman said...

This is definitely my kind of stir fry- yum!! And we love this Rosé in summer especially. Thanks for the recipe and tips!

Linda said...

Looks delish. I am looking in my fridge for the ingredients right now.

Tom said...

...this looks fabulous! Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

Rumpelkammer said...

das sieht sehr lecker aus
aber ich bin alleine da lohnt es sich nicht
aber ich mache jede Woche Pilze
denn sie sollen gut für das Gehirn sein (na ich hoffe es stimmt ;) )

liebe Grüße
Rosi

Lowcarb team member said...

It certainly looks delicious.
Lovely photographs and how-to guide.

All the best Jan

Red Rose Alley said...

This looks so delicious. Oh, I can taste it now. Love ginger in foods, and especially in desserts. I think the mushrooms make the dish. ; )

~Sheri