Saturday, April 16, 2022

Barbed Wire

 

Several years ago, I joined a weekly blog meme called "Good Fences" where we would show and write about fences. Since I love to photograph fences I miss this meme - it ended around 2016, I think. But that doesn't prevent me from still blogging about fences every now and then.

Today it's barbed wire. Horrible if you get hurt by it and photogenic at the same time. I'm not talking about the rolled barbed wire that is used to keep prisoners inside camps or to create a barrier against different thinking people or to divide countries. I'm thinking of the barbed wire along meadows, pastures and the like. The often rusty kind.


If something is entangled in the fence, it's even more interesting and often prettier.


It makes a great foreground for a Hawai'ian sunset. 


Often you can find grasses hanging over it, softly waving in the wind, or the young mustard in the background.


It becomes fascinating with snow on it, frozen from the wind.


Barbed wire winds around fence posts and functions as supporting actor in a shadow play.


Irresistible with the background of a stunning sunrise.


Photos were taken during the last ten years, most of them in Sonoma County, but some on the Big Island of Hawai'i and in Northern Arizona.



11 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful post-Loved your photos. the fences sounds like an interesting blog link up.
Happy Holiday weekend
Kathy

Lorrie said...

A very interesting collection of photos, Carola. Who would have guessed that barbed wire could be so photogenic?

River said...

Beautiful photos. Barbed wire is something I don't see much of, living so close to the city as I do.

My name is Erika. said...

These are gorgeous photos Carola. I know what you mean about fences. I like them as part of a photo. They really do draw you eye to a direction. And these close ups are great The sunset one is amazing. You asked (in your comment on my post) about the napping cat stamp. It is actually a fairly new one, in a set by AALL & Create that includes the girl holding the sleeping cat. The designer is Janet Klein. I can you can also digitally buy some images by her through the Vera Lane shop on Etsy, but I am not sure about this cat one. I got my set from Frantic Stamper online. I'm not sure who else carries them. Have a wonderful Easter and great rest of the weekend. hugs-Erika

Elephant's Child said...

It is photogenic. It is also very dangerous to birds and animals as well as people.
I am torn, and tend to fall into the category of people who condemn it as devil wire.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous photos. I'm looking fprwardcto being out and about with my camera again. Happy Easter, hugs, Valerie

Jeanie said...

Somehow you managed to make barbed wire look so beautiful.

DVArtist said...

Very lovely photos. Have a nice day today.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a great photo essay, Carola, and barbed wire certainly never looked better. It is amazing how a single theme can work so well as you have shown here.

Lowcarb team member said...

Who'd have thought that barbed wire could look so good!
Lovely photographs.

All the best Jan

pam nash said...

Very pretty pictures. Who'd a thought rusty pointy wire could look so cool!