Monday, September 6, 2021

T Tuesday with Art Journal

 

Tomorrow is Tuesday which means the past week just flew by and it's time for Elizabeth's T Tuesday post. Didn't I just write last week's post?

Last week I found another challenge called Try it on Tuesday. Every other week a new challenge is posted. The current one is "use book pages" and we can use any medium we wish as long as we follow the challenge theme. I love to include book pages when I create and I decided to make a spread in my art journal. I tore up pages from books in different languages and fonts and glued them dowm randomly. A watercolor wash of burnt sienna followed. The two women and the image of the door are from a catalog of my favorite clothes company. Finally, I added some stamps and stenciled patterns. (She remained true to herself by Unity Stamp; vine flourish by Scrappy Cat; scalloped border by Fiskars; Tim Holtz stencil by Stampers Anonymous)

I hadn't worked in my art journal for a way too long time, but through a short class (more about that in a later post) and a couple challenges I rediscovered my creativity. One of those challenges beside the one above was through colorcrushcreative on Instagram. Every week a different color was the theme of the challenge. Unfortunately I found this challenge only a couple weeks ago when most of the colors were already done. I started out with violet, which is not a color I include in my work a lot, but thanks to this challenge it has made more appearances. I don't think I was particularly creative with that color, just playing around with watercolor, scrapbook paper scraps, stencils, stamps and an attempt to paint a nondescript flower. Drawing/painting is not my strong suit. However, I loved using these Inktense Pens by Derwent, they have such a brilliant color when you activate them with water. (Art text stamp by Stampers Anonymous; Divinata Seasons by Stampington; swirly stamp unknown; stencil by Stencil Girl)

Magenta was the chosen color the following week. Now, this color is much easier for me. I love to include magenta in its boldness. A color that makes a statement all on its own. Everything on this page is re-used - the book pages are from a Greek encyclopedia, the flowers and radishes from seed packages, a tag on a piece of clothing from the clothing company I mentioned above, a piece of wrapping paper, a Métro ticket from Paris, an index card I made. All covered with watercolor magenta that I mixed myself and finished with a stencil by The Crafters Workshop. Creating this spread was pure fun.


The current color is pink and I decided to keep it simple. I took the photo of the Black-crowned night heron several years ago while I was at the lake early in the morning. The fog was still hovering over the lake, it was very peaceful. It is still one of my favorite photos. A soft pink, I thought, would fit this particular mood. I mainly used scrapbook paper (for the background, and the poppies are cut from one as well and then painted with water-soluble wax pastels by Caran-d'Ache), the letter stamps are by Creative Imaginations. Somehow I love this page.


Even this week's drink - a pineapple-hibiscus cooler that I ordered at a lunch with a friend - sticks to the color scheme!





21 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I am so excited you decided to join us at Try It On Tuesday for our book theme challenge Carola. All these pages are amazing. Isn't it funny how sometimes one color just speaks out and must be used? Loving the pink, and how it matches you drink. That pineapple-hibiscus cooler looks refreshing. Thanks for joining us at Try It on Tuesday, and have a wonderful T day also. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Your color experiments are very enjoyable to see. Magenta is a color with an interesting history, so I like your use of it. An aniline dye that color was developed in 1859, and eventually named for the Battle of Magenta in Italy that year. In some color systems fuchsia is the same as magenta -- but not always.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Elephant's Child said...

LOVE (and am awed by) your creativity. Thank drink looks perfect too - refreshing and delicious.

Valerie-Jael said...

Pretty in pink! Thanks so much for joining us at TIOT with your beautiful book page pages, they are really lovely. Your drink looks fabulous, too. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

nwilliams6 said...

I love the TIOT theme too and couldn't resist either. Your TIOT pages are fabulous. Love all the colors on your other pages too. Isn't it great to get back into well loved things like journaling. Color is magical, and I love all your colors - especially your drink colors! Happy T-day, Carola.

Divers and Sundry said...

The drink looks refreshing, and you did such a good job with the close-up. Mine tend to be blurry. Happy T Tuesday!

Linda Kunsman said...

Glad to see your wonderful creativity again-super journal pages! I especially love that magenta spread-all the elements just pop!!
Your drink looks quite refreshing. Happy T day.

Jeanie said...

I really love your pages -- it's hard to believe you haven't been doing this for quite awhile! I haven't done mixed media in ages. Sometimes I miss it, sometimes not. I do love the pink. Well, I love it all. It's fun to see what you do with these challenges!

Let's Art Journal said...

Oh my, that pineapple-hibiscus cooler looks amazing! I bet it was so refreshing and yummy 😀. Love all your journal page spreads with the book pages - amazing! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday and Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh Carola, your post is filled with color and beauty thuis week. I love the journal entry with the book pages. Those three color spreads are out of this world. I like them all, and would have a hard time choosing the one I like the most. You have a great eye for composition and wonderful take on the challenge colors, too. You chose a lot of great ephemera to support those color schemes. These are just wonderful. And of course, the last color matches your drink perfectly, too. So glad to see you working in your journal again and seeing how it influenced your drink choice for T this Tuesday. I'm still reeling with the beauty of these pages, dear.

CJ Kennedy said...

Your delicious beverage coordinates beautifully with your gorgeous journal pages. Happy T Day

Kate Yetter said...

You have been busy. Some very colorful journal layouts to go with your colorful and refreshing drink.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Red Rose Alley said...

Your art journal is delightful, Carola. It's filled with color and is creative and artistic. I like how you added a little fashion with your favorite clothes catalog. My Mom used to love the color Magenta, and many of her clothes were in that shade. This color reminds me of Fall too. I smiled when you used pages from a Greek encyclopedia, as I'm part Greek. ; ) The pineapple cooler looks refreshing. It looks tropical with its Pink color. I think these art projects are meant for you, Carola. You really are good at it.

~Sheri

Sharon Madson said...

Beautiful pages! I like your watercolor magenta the best. Your drink looks and sounds yummy, too. Happy T Day!

Iris Flavia said...

Great color ride! Yummy, too.

Veronica Lee said...

Love your art journal, Carola. How beautiful!

Lisca said...

I'm sorry I'm late again in commenting. Tuesday is a day we usually are away from home and as Blogger doesn't like iPhones or iPads, I cannot do anything until I get back home to my desktop. Sometimes this is quite late, so here I am on Wednesday...
Your art journal page with the book pages is gorgeous (as is the model you featured). I can see you struggled with some colours but it was fun to see the magenta page pop out!
Your drink looks really refreshing (I have never tasted it but I like hibiscus tea so it might be similar) and of course it is bang on the colour theme.
Happy belated T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

DVArtist said...

Your drink looks so refreshing. I am always impressed with your art. Have a very nice day.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Although I don't participate in this challenge, it is enjoyable to see how others interpret it. That said, your pages are lovely, Carola, and the color theme includes a lot of my favorite color, purple. How nice to have tied in your drink as well!

Lowcarb team member said...

I did enjoy seeing your art.
The pineapple-hibiscus cooler looks a delicious drink.

All the best Jan

Meggymay said...

Super journal page spreads and Thank you so much for linking the one with the bool page background with us at Try it on Tuesdays it looks fantastic.
Yvonne