Monday, September 27, 2021

Oscar Wilde for T Tuesday

 

It's time for Elizabeth's wonderful T stands for Tuesday - hi T gang! Today I am going to take you to New York City where you can meet Oscar Wilde.

The Irish poet and playwright, you think? Oh no! I'm talking about a bar.

Oscar Wilde is, of course, the creator of "The Importance of Being Earnest" and "The Picture of Dorian Gray" - but it is also an elaborately designed, Victorian style bar on 45 W 27th Street in New York City. I'm usually not too much into cocktails - I don't have more than a handful a year if you don't count Maitais - but when we spent a week before Christmas in New York in 2019 I wanted to go to a cocktail bar on Christmas Eve. Of course, New York City is not short of cocktail bars, and it took quite some research to find a place that seemed to be interesting enough to spend an hour there.

Oscar Wilde made the cut. At 118.5 feet this is New York City's longest bar, featuring Carrara marble. It is located at the former headquarters of NYC's Bureau of Prohibition - fitting, isn't it?

I did mention that it is Victorian themed, didn't I?

Seriously, I think it was a bit over the top. A big bit.

But it was fun for an hour in the afternoon when the place wasn't crowded at all. This guy certainly knew how to mix cocktails. The selection was good and the prices were Manhattan-reasonable.

I had the Pale Princess and it was delicious. I forgot what the Geek had, but it was good as well.

Cheers to Elizabeth and the T gang!







21 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Nothing exceeds like excess -- that's what popped into my head when I saw your photos of this bar!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

Hi, what an amazing bar-I am glad you shared these photos-I can see that there would be lots of cool things to look at.
How neat that you have hummingbirds year round-I do miss them when they migrate.
Happy T hugs Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

Yes Oscar Wilde is a bit over the top, but then NYC is a bit over the top-in a good way. Especially at Christmas. This looks like a fun Christmas Eve activity, and that photo of the table area feels very Victorian with all the holiday knick-knacks. Can you imagine living with such clutter on a daily basis. And your drink looks elegant too. Did you feel like you were back in time? Thanks for sharing these Carola. What a unique and enjoyable T day post. Have a great T day. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The first thing I noticed was the ceiling. Then the ornate fixtures. There certainly must have been a lot to see there because your photos showed an indulgence like nothing I have seen here (OR in NYC).

I agree that was a decent price for Manhattan. cocktails. Thanks for sharing your Pale Princess at Oscar Wilde bar with us for T this Tuesday, dear Carola.

Elephant's Child said...

Definitely over the top - but a wonderful experience to savour too.

Iris Flavia said...

Looks biiiiig!
I think (!) Ingo had brought home a gin once.
Not my liking. But I like Cuban rum - by golly, the 7 -year old is 13 years old by now, LOL - maybe I should have a sip.

Valerie-Jael said...

That bar is interesting to see, but as you say, seriously OTT! I would need shades in there. But the drinks look good! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I love the architecture and decor.

Have you ever been to McSorley's Old Ale House?

J said...

The bar looks great, very over the top decoration wise but your cocktails look tasty, my son in San Francisco always buys me a cocktail but many I don’t like to try as I don’t like even the smell of whisky,
Happy T Day
Jan

Divers and Sundry said...

Oh, my! That's impressive! It'd be such fun to have a fancy cocktail and spend an afternoon people-watching. Happy T Tuesday

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what an amazing bar! The decor is amazing and I bet it was a wonderful place to visit, make mine a Sinner's Future please ...lol 😀. Cheers and Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

Kate Yetter said...

What a beautiful bar! Yes, it is over the top, but it is a stunner!
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

CJ Kennedy said...

WOW that is some swanky place. Your cocktail looks elegant and pretty, too. Happy T Day

Sharon Madson said...

What a perfect TSFT post! Thanks for sharing your photos of this occasion. I will have to ask my son if he has ever been to the longest bar as he lives there. Happy T Day!

nwilliams6 said...

What a great looking place. I love over the top done with style and this looks like it falls into that category. And the history adds to it, definitely. Very fun! Great choice of bar and great post for T-day! Happy T-day.

Lisca said...

That place is so over the top, that it becomes fun. A great place to go. When I went to the us many moons ago I also wanted to try a cocktail. I had a Stinger as it was the only one with ingredients I recognized. (I forgot what they were now). I should have been a bit more adventurous really…
Happy belated T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Empire of the Cat said...

Wow what an amazing place to visit, even if you don't drink cocktails. Thanks for your visit, I replied to your comment about the gel medium. Sorry for my lateness, have a sick kitty. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

DVArtist said...

What a post. I agree with you a bit over the top. The drinks look good though.

Jeanie said...

Utterly fabulous. I don't know one cocktail from another, for the most part, but I wouldn't mind learning here!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Yes! Over the top but very Oscar Wilde - not that keen on most alcoholic drinks though! I would still enjoy the atmosphere! Hugs, Chrisx

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Over the top, Yes, and would I want to visit this bar? Of course without a doubt! Thanks for sharing this run excursion in NYC.