Monday, September 21, 2015

Yard Sale Finds

A few days ago there was a yard sale down the street, and I was surprised about the amount of treasures I found.


The first thing I had already seen from the street was the wooden tray. I had been looking for something like that for quite a while, and this tray was the reason why I stopped and took a look.


The red lantern was the next item I discovered - oh how beautiful! The little tea box I grabbed for Kaefer; I knew that she would like it (and she does).


But the bird cage was the thing that made my heart sing. I don't know for how long I had been looking for one. Not just a bird cage - I didn't want a new one or plastic one or one of those cheap ones that seem to pop up everywhere and really look cheap. In my mind I had pictured something like this, and I visualized it filled with flowers that would spill out.


Just like this.

Sometimes you actually find exactly what you were looking for. It's rare - but what a lucky day!


Did you find something recently that you had been looking for for quite some time?


9 comments:

Vagabonde said...

You certainly were lucky at your yard sale. I try not to go to yard salse because our house is overflowing and I should be the one to have a yard sale. Actually if we lived closer I would give you a beautiful handmade bird cage that my trainees brought over to me from Tunisia.
I go to estate sales once in a while. Last time I found a nice Pyrex casserole with cover for $1 – so that’s my last find. I read your former post about your position as a German language teacher – how terrific! Your students are lucky to have you.

Elephant's Child said...

How beautiful. How very, very beautiful. Love that use of the bird cage, and could find a home for that red lantern too.

Monika + Bente said...

... ein Tässchen Tee nähme ich jetzt auch :-)

Liebe Grüße - Monika

21 Wits said...

All beautiful treasures, thank you for sharing them.

Petra Pavlátková said...

WOW, I love everything you've purchased, Carola, such treasures. The petunia looks great in the bird cage, it wouldn't have occurred to me to connect them in this way...

I also have a new treasure which I found at my mother-in-law some time ago - a lantern as well! She had it hanged in her garden, old and rusty and would have thrown it into the dustbin and now I'm happy to have it. :)

Cheri said...

What fun finds! There is nothing quite like the thrill of finding a bargain and rescuing something that makes your heart sing from a possible trip to a landfill!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Wow! You did make a haul. The birdcage is great and it look lovely with the flowers spilling out.

Pamela Gordon said...

You found some lovely things for sure. I like the red lantern and the bird cage is beautiful with the flowers in it. Have a great week and happy fall to you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was a great yard sale! Love all your finds!!