Monday, September 28, 2015

Where Market Was Hold in the Olden Days


Chipping Campden is a very picturesque little medieval town in the heart of the Cotswold Hills in England. I first visited it back in 1974 when it was still more like a sleepy village out of a fairy tale. When I spent time here in the late 80's and early 90's it wasn't quite as sleepy anymore, but still rather quiet. Last year, however, it was a crowded tourist destination - but fortunately it still held its Old World charm.

The heart of Chipping Campden, right in the middle of High Street, is this old market hall. "Chipping" comes from the Old English for "market" or "market place" - so of course they have a market hall! Built in 1627 (so not quite that medieval!) in the typical honey colored limestone of the area, it stood in the town center mainly unused. This time, however, it was turned into some kind of market place again.




This, however, was the only change that I could notice, and I thought that it actually fit the location. I also imagined market people who yell and shout, offering their merchandise to the folks who would come into town on market day. I think it was quite lively back then. Not so much nowadays.

To my utter relief, the old floor was still the same rocky ground as centuries ago.


And so was the roof - don't you agree that it is lovely? Simple, but impressive.




9 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

What an absolutely glorious place.
I love the honey coloured stone and so appreciate places which cherish their past.
Thank you.

Val said...

My goodness, how charming. Yes! to the floor and roof! Just beautiful.

Jeanne said...

Looks like a great place to visit Carola, and I love the stone and the architecture!

Nancy said...

The ceiling of the market place is just beautiful.....I love everything about it.....It reminds me so much of the design I am seeing in modern day structures....

Barb said...

There are so many architectural wonders in Europe. Here in states, we think something is old of it's survived 100 years! I love the old rock floor.

Michelle said...

There is nothing like old structures. Such character and beauty.

Pamela Gordon said...

This is a beautiful old market building. The rafters resemble a cathedral. It would have been a very noisy place in the old days as the shouts and voices reverberated off the stone.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful old structure! I love the history I can see and feel in those stones and beams. Thanks for sharing this.

Magic Love Crow said...

Truly gorgeous!!!