Thursday, July 3, 2014

All About Fences in Edinburgh


Edinburgh has a lot of fences, but it is easy not to notice them. Most of them are black, and on a rainy grey day they kind of blend in. However, since my eyes seem to be trained on fences - after all it's one of my favorite thing to photograph - I saw many of them - too many to take pictures of them all.


They were all wet and shiny the day we explored Edinburgh. Surprisingly they were all different; I guess fence designers had (and perhaps still have) to be quite inventive. Of course the black looks good with all the old buildings and against the green that seems to be everywhere, in lawns, parks, trees.

If you put a little red phonebooth (aka a pencil sharpener) in between like my daughter did (remember the traveling phonebooth? It came with us), the color really pops, especially on a grey day.


This one probably was my favorite fence, and so I also took pictures of it without the phonebooth.


Beautiful, isn't it? You can spend an entire day in Edinburgh just looking for fences and take pictures of them. If we had had more time...

I like the long spires on this one - and no, this is not the same one as above. The middle spires were set lower in the fence. Little details to set them apart from each other.


This one, though, was the "sharpest" of them all - literally. I discovered it up at the castle, probably used as some kind of defense. It thought it was pretty neat.


What better thing to do with all these fences than linking up to Teresa's "Good Fences" at the Run Around Ranch?


*******************

Fences are also available in my shop -
both as photography prints and as cards.


17 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

these are really beautiful - especially because of the rain drops! the little red phone booth was a cute addition! :)

thanks for linking, carola!

Elephant's Child said...

Some fascinating (and vicious) looking fences there.
And I loved that the Travelling Phonebox went on holidays with you - again.

Michelle said...

I really like the perspective of these shots and the phone booth is an excellent prop!

Gail Dixon said...

Wonderful all the different angles and perspectives you got. Love the 2nd to last shot and the one with the bright red phone booth.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Wonderful fence, Fantastic shots of it and love the raindrops on it.

helena said...

fascinating to see my city through another's camera lens - I will pay more attention to the fences in future

orchid0324 said...

Oh My!!! Fascinating pictures of fence under the rain; the the bright red phone booth really stands out in the gorgeous picture♡♡♡

Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

Phil Slade said...

Very inventive photographs but I do like the raindrop one most of all.

Sally H said...

Wonderful photos, Carola! Edinburgh is a fascinating place isn't it? I don't think I have ever been when it has been sunny - always wet or foggy!

Jennifer Richardson said...

something so noble about fences.
glad your travels stirred your
heartstrings and gave such
"scope for the imagination":)
-Jennifer

Wayne said...

Awesome fences, they look similar until you examine the details. Imagine the time it took to fabricate these back in the day.

Waldameise Andrea said...

Danke für Ihren freundlichen Besuch auf meinem Blog. Das hat mich sehr gefreut, zumal sich höchst selten jemand dahin verirrt.

Wie ich gesehen habe, ist es auf ihrer Seite auch sehr interessant. Schöne, stimmungsvolle Fotos. Da werde ich mich gern noch genauer umschauen.

Liebe Grüße
Morgentau

http://morgentau.designblog.de/blog/tags....Idyll/

Leovi said...

Exquisite photos, I love the framing and perspective, very poetic!

Magic Love Crow said...

These fences are so cool! I love these photos! The one with the little phone booth is so cute ;o) Hugs ;o)

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love that last photograph particularly. I've been participating in the fences link up since you turned me onto it. It's so much fun.
Rinda

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful collection of these old fences! Makes me want to visit Edinburgh again!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I love the fences of Edinburgh .. so very solid and permanent. Sounds lime you had a super holiday Carola, I hope you had a few sunny days also :)