Monday, December 4, 2023

The Last Two Weeks

 

I wish I could come up with something exciting this week, but I don't. Two weeks ago I started PT for my left knee and the sciatica on the right side; I go twice a week and do my exercises religiously because I really want an end to the pain and most of all, I want to take long walks again. While I see some improvement when it comes to the sciatica, I unfortunately cannot say the same for the knee. Some days are okay, but there were moments when I had just started my walk down the street to the mailbox when I had to turn around after only 50 meters or so because the pain was so bad that I knew I wouldn't get to the mailbox (a 12 minute walk one way), not to mention back home. It's frustrating, but I'm determined not to let these things get me down.

Despite the evil knee, I was able to do a few short walks - I walked at the lake (please note that I wrote "at", not "around" because that's not possible right now) on a cloudy morning and enjoyed the view of the still water and the leaves in the parking lot.



I especially liked the stunning color of these oak leaves as well as the beautiful seeds of the Horse Weed (Conyza bonariensis).


In my neighborhood I enjoyed a few leaves withstanding the autumn winds while others swirled through the air, sometimes doing crazy somersaults.


The Japanese Maple in front of my kitchen window radiated in beautiful autumn colors and I loved the reflection in the bird bath.


My native California vine "Roger's Red" (Vitis californica x 'Roger's Red') was twisting along my clothesline. Soon I will have to cut it back, when all the leaves will be gone.

My Pineapple Guava (Feijoa sellowiana) was heavy with fruit this year, so I decided to share with the neighborhood.

In my opinion, winter sunrises and sunsets are more spectacular than the ones in summer. Maybe it's because the sun is so much lower in the sky or the air is colder - I don't know. This was the sunrise seen from my bedroom window a few days ago, followed below by pink clouds at sunset.



The nightsky during a full moon was pretty dramatic as well.


We had some rain - always welcome - and also some pretty frosty nights. Perfect for staying inside and knitting some cat and bird ornaments for our German School's winter fundraiser.


While knitting, reading, grading papers and preparing classes I enjoyed my café au lait out of this wolf mug that I bought years ago in Yellowstone (still one of my most favorite places on earth).


This, of course, is for Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T Tuesday - grab a drink and join us!









23 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Sorry to hear about your knee and your sciatica too. Your autumn photos are lovely. My autumn colors have come and gone for quite a while now. And your visit to the lake is really beautiful. Hopefully your knee will improve quickly and you'll be back walking again soon. And hopefully you won't need surgery or anything more complicated than therapy. And no, your post is not boring at all. Have a wonderful T day and week ahead Carola. Hugs-Erika

Tom said...

...I think that you came up with fabulous images. First that leaf and then those two tranquil water scenes, WOW! Take care and be well Carola.

Mae Travels said...

Good luck with overcoming the pain in your knee!
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

Man nimmt Gesundheit immer als gegeben hin bis... ich hoffe für dich es wird (schnell) besser.
Weil... tolle Fotos!
Hm. Jetzt wo du teilst... das erste Mal, dass es keine Äpfel vom Nachbarn gibt. Schätze der Sommer war zu schlecht.
Die Ornamente sind wunderschön! Wenn Porto nicht maßlos hoch wäre würde ich fragen, ob ich bestellen kann!
Teetasse hoch :-)

Elephant's Child said...

I am so sorry to learn that your knee is still giving you grief - and love that you are surrounded by beauty.

roentare said...

The leaves and the lake scenes are both gorgeous

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your knitted ornaments. Sorry about the pain in your knee, that's not nice. Hope it soon gets better. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning sooo sorry about your knees that will be struggle to stay positive hugs.
I so much love your photography, I love the kitties, and I want that mug! smiles Happy T Kathy

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is distressing to hear of your mobility issues, Carola, and the accompanying pain. Get well soon, please, so that you can bring us more of these stunning views. Best wishes - David

Rostrose said...

Liebe Carola, verwendest du eine Kniestütze? Falls nein, kann ich dir eine solche empfehlen, mir hat sie damals sehr geholfen. Ich wüsche dir jedenfalls, dass du bald wieder fit genug für Runden um den See herum bist - aber ich muss dir sagen, deinen Fotos sieht man absolut keinen Qualitätsunterschied an, sie sind sensationell schön!
Leider war ich noch nie im Yellowstone Nationalpark - ich hoffe, dass ich diesen Ort auch noch irgendwann mal erleben werde. Happy T-Day!
Alles Liebe, Traude
🥁🧸🍸🕯️☕🧸🍸☕🕯️🧸🥁
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/11/govt-mule-kindergeburtstag-und.html

Divers and Sundry said...

It sounds like you're in slow-but-sure improvement mode. I hope complete recovery comes soon so your walks can be longer. You have such a beautiful place to enjoy nature.

Happy T Tuesday!

DVArtist said...

I am so very sorry about your knee and sciatica. Nothing worse than your body not cooperating so you can't do the things you love. That first photo of the lake looks like a painting. It is so pretty. Take care and I'm sending healing energy you way.

Kate Yetter said...

Your view from the parking lot is stunning! We have mountain views but not with water. And I agree, the sunrises during winter have been amazing. We have been seeing vibrant pink and purple the last week.
So sorry to hear that your knee is giving you so much pain. Hopefully therapy will help.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Amila said...

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing with your knee and sciatica. It takes a lot of strength and determination to stick to your PT routine despite the setbacks. These photos are beautiful and I enjoyed looking at all. Happy T Tuesday!

Lowcarb team member said...

I was sorry to read about your knee and your sciatica, sending healing wishes to you.
The photographs you've shared here are just FABULOUS.
Do take care of yourself.

All the best Jan

Lisca said...

How frustrating that your knee does not seem to be getting any better. I know how much you love going for walks. But what you showed in the photos of your immediate surroundings is beautiful. Those autumn colours are stunning.
The sunset/rise is beautiful.
Stay positive!
Hugs,
Lisca

Empire of the Cat said...

I love your photos, that first one, great angle on the leaf. Sorry to hear you are still suffering with your knee and sciatica. I have a similar condition to sciatica except it is at the front rather than the back of my leg. It is playing up at the moment due to weight gain, and making life unpleasant. Hope your body heals up soon and you can get back to walking again Happy T Day! Elle xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh those beautiful leaves! So sorry your legs are preventing you enjoying your walks! Love the sky pics too! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

I feel for you on the PT. It takes a long time but it is worth it, though I don't know much about the knee thing. But it hasn't affected your wonderful photography skills -- every photo is a gem!

CJ Kennedy said...

Awesome photographs and your cat and bird ornament tree is very charming. I hope your knee is doing/feeling better. Happy T Day

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thanks for visiting for T this week. I am sorry to be late visiting, but I have just been released from the hospital where I have been since Monday night. Before you ask, I DO NOT have Covid. I will be back tomorrow to visit each person who dropped by this week.

Teresa said...

Me pasa como a ti con mis rodillas. Llevo dos años con tratamientos, pero noto poca mejoría, al final tendré que operarme. Espero que te mejores. Abrazos.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My plan on Friday was to visit the international T Tuesday participants first, while it was Friday in their world, then those who live in the states where it would still be Friday in THEIR world. That didn't happen, although I was able to visit a few before my young fur baby got sick. As much as Bleubeard tries to stay away from Squiggles, he was (seemed) actually concerned for once. Now Squiggles has been looked at and taken care of, I am back to visit. And even though I am on hiatus until the new year, I will be here every Monday afternoon my time to spend T time with you, dear Carola.

Like others, I was saddened to read about your knee and your sciatica. I hope to read about improvements in both areas soon, especially the knee.

That single leaf in the first photo is awesome. I also loved the ones that were swirling around. It's amazing how beautiful your photos of the swirling leaves turned out. I also liked how the "Roger's Red" was twisting on your clothes line. Those of us who still have clothes lines can appreciate that photo.

Stunning sky shots. I think the morning show as very impressive as was the nigh time shot.

Of course, I really loved seeing photos of the lake. It certainly looks calm and beautiful, although not very walking friendly.

I LVE those knitted cats, I agree they will sell quickly.

And of course, I really like your Yellowstone wolf mug. Thanks for sharing your amazing photos and your cafe au lait with us for T this week, dear friend.