Monday, December 25, 2023

Christmas Memories

Christmas Eve, my brother and me, 1960s

Over the past few days I was looking at some old photos that my dad took when we were children. All of them were slides that my father-in-law scanned for me several years ago. The quality of the images is very poor, but they did bring back memories of Christmasses (is that a word?) long time ago.

Both my parents had lost their homes in World War II. My mother had to flee from the border to Poland at the end of January 1945; my dad was never able to return to his hometown Marienburg (Malbork in today's Poland) after a year as a POW in a British camp in Belgium (his parents and younger sister had been able to catch the last refugee ship out of Danzig/Gdansk). My parents met in a small village in Lower Saxony where they eventually started a family. 

They didn't have much money - my dad had just earned his PhD and was one of two veterinarians in a country veterinary practice (nothing like "All Creatures Great and Small"), but with the little means they had they still made it possible to give us children a magical Christmas.

There was a tree in front of our rented house, and they put real candles on it. It was so beautiful. My mom also put some Wunderkerzen (sparkler) in it - nowadays they are mostly used on New Year's Eve. 

My mom with my brother, late 1950s

Here she is lighting the Wunderkerzen; my sister to the right

Later she would light the tree in the living room. There are not many ornaments on the tree because they didn't have many (there were more important things to spend money on) and the family ornaments were left behind in the war. But there was a lot of lametta (tinsel) because it was affordable.


A Christmas tradition in Germany is to have a Weihnachtsteller (Christmas plate) filled with chocolates, marzipan, homebaked cookies and nuts. We loved our Weihnachtsteller and I sure was delighted about the chocolate Santa.



My brother and I loved to bake Christmas cookies - well, I mainly loved to eat the dough!

1961

Later we moved to the Sauerland, Northrhine-Westphalia, where we lived in a nice flat. My dad had found a position as a vet with the county which is way more sustainable for family life - no more calls in the middle of the night, but still calls on the weekends. My parents lived in that flat for 42 years.

My brother with very short hair, because that was the only way to "tame" his abundance of locks

Sometime - I can't remember exactly when - we started a new tradition for the time "zwischen den Jahren" (between the years - the week from Christmas to New Year). My mom received a huge jigsaw puzzle of the Alexanderschlacht (the Battle of Alexander at Issus), a 1529 oil painting by the German artist Albrecht Altdorfer (you can see the painting here). I think it had arund 1500 pieces and if you look at the painting you can see how detailed it is, and assembling the sky was a real pain. It always took us several days to put it together, but every year we did. It was a family "venture", even my dad, who didn't enjoy puzzles very much, joined in every now and then. I once saw the original painting in the Alte Pinakothek in Munich - it's a truly impressive painting.

Here is my mother doing a puzzle - she always loved doing one in the colder season (this, of course, is not Alexanderschlacht and this picture was taken some other time during the winter).


This year I kept up the tradition, not with Alexander, though, but with a fun image of Yosemite, and on a much smaller scale (around 300 pieces only) and it was done within a couple hours on a chilly afternoon right before Christmas Eve.


My Christmas tree in my tiny flat while the Geek and I were dating.


Later, we established our own Christmas traditions when we had our own family. First Christmas with Kaefer.


Our German traditions mingled with American Christmas customs when we moved to California. Kaefer's letter to Santa:


Nowadays, the Geek and I don't really "do" Christmas. But this year, some neighbors and us started a new tradition - caroling in the neighborhood. We did that last Friday, and we had so much fun together. We caroled for more than an hour, going along the streets, singing in front of homes - it was joyful and so rewarding spreading some cheer. I can't share the pictures and videos because I don't know whether everyone would be okay to be out in the blogosphere.

Therefore just an image of our Christmas Eve drink - a delicious rosé champagne. Cheers to Bleubeard and Elizabeth at T Tuesday and to everyone who reads this.











 

24 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

I really enjoyed your post. My husband's grandparents fled from Hitler as well-one side German the other Hungarian.
I always wondered how they kept the candles from burning the tree.
good memories thanks for sharing Happy T
Kathy

Elephant's Child said...

Precious and beautiful memories and photos. Thank you so much for sharing them.

Terra said...

Your photos as a child show you to be an adorable little cherub and I enjoyed hearing a bit about your family history and the new caroling tradition for you.

Iris Flavia said...

Ingo hat auch Dias gescanned - ich muss mal fragen, wo er die hat!!!
Süße Fotos.
Ja. Traurig. Wo meine Mutter aufwuchs, das ist nun Russland und ich darf nicht hin. Ich habe keine Famileienfotos wegen der Flucht.
Wunderkerzen im Baum!!!! Ich wär weggerannt ;-) Au weia! Allein die echten Kerzen haben mich immer geängstigt!
(Unser Baum stand drinnen!).
Wir hatten keine Weihnachtsteller. Komisch. (also nicht lustig). Niemand mochte Süßes und ich habe gestern Chips von meinem 85-jährigen Nachbarn bekommen. Ist ein Weihnachtsteller.
Mein Bruder hat auch immer den Teig gegessen :-)
Ich liebe puzzeln! Wir haben keinen Platz - gut, dass das heute online geht! Schöne Erinnerung - puzzlen hät unser Hirn fit :-)
Sehr süßer Brief von Käfer. Das Caroling gibt es hier immer noch nicht. Schade!
Frohe Weihnachten - wir haben "versuchte Gans"...

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Thanks for sharing this retrospective, Carola. I enjoyed it very much, as I am sure did all your readers. It’s good to have this photographic record to refer back to and ultimately to pass on to Kaefer. All the best for 2024 - David

Mae Travels said...

Your family photos are a wonderful memory. It's sad that candles are no longer considered safe on a tree -- by the time I was a child they were already pretty unusual here in the US, but we did have a family friend who stlll had a tree with candles. They had a great aroma.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Let's Art Journal said...

I loved stepping back in time with you, so many wonderful memories 😊. Wishing you peace, joy and happiness this Christmas time ❤️. Happy T Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

My name is Erika. said...

This is a lovely post Carola. I very much enjoyed it. It's interesting to read (and in photo's see) people's back story. I don't think I have any photos of me at Christmas when I was young. My dad used to take home movies of us. I think even in the US Christmas used to be simpler, and maybe it will trend back that way. That would be nice because let's face it, it's not about the things. I love your puzzle tradition too. And the caroling. I hope you have a lovely rest of your Christmas week. And a happy T day. hugs-Erika

Tom said...

...Christmas is a magical time and full of memories.

Divers and Sundry said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your photos and hearing about your Christmas traditions. I've never known anyone who put lit candles on a tree. Lovely!

Happy T Tuesday!

DVArtist said...

This is a beautiful post. Memories in photos, just truly beautiful. I think it takes great courage to go out caroling. A nice thing to do. Have a wonderful day.

Valerie-Jael said...

What a gorgeous little girl yyou were. You're still gorgeous though! Glad you had a good time. In England we alwas went carol singing and I lovedx it at school and later at college. Thanks for sharing the lovely, old photos. Hugs, Valerie
Thanks for the gorgeous card, much appreciated. I showed it to Heike and she was happy because you mentioned her! Hugs!

roentare said...

Fabulous family photos

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a lovely reminiscent post. I love your look back at Christmases past and also that you have kept up the puzzle tradition (we still have one we started last year!) and have started a new one too! Carol singing with neighbours sounds great! Happy T Day, Chrisx

Teresa said...

Me encanto saber y ver tus recuerdos, son preciosos. Gracias y abrazos.

CJ Kennedy said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely Christmas memories and your photos. I bet the candles on the Christmas tree were just beautiful. Merry Christmas and Happy T Day

Lowcarb team member said...

This is such a beautiful post, I enjoyed it ...
Thank you.

Enjoy these last few days of December and my good wishes for the coming New Year.

All the best Jan

Empire of the Cat said...

What great photos and memories. I am always fascinated when I see photos of candles on Christmas trees, they look so pretty but I always wonder about safety. I received your card, thank you so much for thinking of me. Merry Christmas and Happy T Day! Elle xx

Jeanie said...

I love this post Carola, and learning how you celebrated Christmas (candles on the tree -- magical!) and hearing your holiday memories. Traditions meld and change over time. I love the puzzle idea. And the caroling sounds fun.

Now, onward!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was in the process of leaving Erika a comment when I head a loud BOOM and the room shook. Then I was in total darkness. It was an outage on my side of the street. The street light and houses/porch lights on the other side of the street were on. Since it was about midnight, I was hoping Sally was awake and would call the electric company, but that was obviously not the case. The first eight hours of darkness were tolerable enough, but after that, all I could do was dig out four warm blankets and add them to my bed. For nearly two days I was without electricity and heat. Even my hot water heater has an electric start. I had just enough hot water to make coffee, something I can't live without. When I woke yesterday, I saw the light on my electric clock was on, but it was still too cold to leave my bed. Just using the toilet was bone chilling. I have an appointment at 12:40 today, so this is a copy and paste message. I will be back after I shower and keep my appointment. Just wanted everyone to know your TSFT host has not forgotten you.


Violetta said...

Liebe Carola,
Da bin ich ja nicht ganz allein mit einem deutschen Post (siehe Iris). Ja, Weihnachtserinnerungen auf alten Fotos. Das hat was, habe ich auch immer mal wieder angeschaut und Erinnerungen hochkommen lassen. Ich kann mich auch noch gut an die diversen Aufstellungsdramen der Christbäume erinnern. Schief oder nicht, passend ins Kreuz..., aber bei der Bescherung war alles wieder in Ordnung. Und in den 60ern war der Geschenkewahnsinn auch noch nicht so ausgeprägt. Ich finde, das war gut so. Und am Christtag dann in der Früh, die Schokoaufhänger vom Baum naschen.
...und ich finde, die alten Fotos schauen in allen Familien irgendwie ähnlich aus.
Alles Liebe und einen guten Rutsch
Violetta

DUTA said...

Family memories are the best kind of read. After all, family is a most important, loving support system in our life. It is believed that memories in general and family memories in particular, shape who we are.
Thanks, Carola for sharing, through words and outstanding pictures, your family Christmas memories.

Juvenal Nunes said...

Fantástica evocação de todo um passado para recordar.
Continuação de Boas Festas e votos de um 2024 muito feliz.
Abraço amigo.
Juvenal Nunes

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This comment begins with another copy and paste. The appointment I referred to in my last comment was for my eye doctor (ophthalmologist). I was sure I was going to learn if my retina was torn and if I needed an operation. Instead, I was taken to seven different rooms by seven little helpers and never once saw the doctor. Each "helper" gave me a different test. Each time they did, they put either one, two, or three different types of drops from different bottles in my eye. I got so tired of hearing the words "blink, blink, blink" after each drop was inserted.

At the end of the day, I couldn't see a thing. I was given an eye patch to wear over my "good" eye. I must remove it when I shower and wash my face because it cannot get wet. It has put a strain on my "weak" eye and I can barely see anything. However, the little helpers don't believe I have a retinal tear because I apparently exhibit none of the symptoms which I won't go into, except I had a flash of light once. Since I can barely see, I will give a half-hearted attempt to leave you a decent comment.

I absolutely adore your Christmas memories. So sad about you parents, but it sounds like in the end, your father was really pleased with his chosen profession.

Making new traditions sounds perfect. Kaefer's letter to Santa made me smile. I love how she wanted a computer.

I was impressed that you and a group got together and sang carols on your block. And of course, the champagne was the perfect way to end the evening. Thanks for sharing these Chrilstmas memories with us for T last week, dear Carola. And thanks beyond belief for the card and gift. I LOVE my cat!!!