Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Snowed In

 

"Snowed in" is the topic this week at Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date.

At the end of last week, the sky dumped an enourmous amount of snow on Bavaria, the most southern state in Germany. There was so much snow, that all the trains were cancelled. This was bad news for Kaefer, who was in Venice at that time and had booked the night train back to Germany which had to pass Munich which was completely closed down. So she stayed another night in Venice (not the worst place to get stuck) and then was finally able to get home on trains passing through Switzerland. It took her 18 hours to finally arrive at her appartment.

This reminded me of the snowy winters we used to have when I still lived in Germany. Our home was the area between the Black Forest and the Swabian Alb and that meant very cold in the winter and often tons of snow. I wasn't particularly fond of driving in the snow, but when you live in one of the last houses at the end of a street up a steep hill which wasn't on the priority list for snow clearing and you had to leave at 6 o'clock in the morning in order to go to work, then you don't really have a choice. Snow was still better than black ice and this way I became a rather experienced driver in snow. I also didn't like snow shoveling - but I did love the beauty of snow.

Therefore, today I want to show you some photos of our winters in Germany from more than 20 years ago. I apologize for an overload of pictures, but am hoping that you will like them.



Walking in the woods provided a lot of photo opportunities.


No one was going to sit on this bench...



Snow on grasses is just fascinating.


Today I don't have a dinner to share with you. Instead, I baked a German Nusszopf (hazelnut braid) a couple days ago. It's from my trusted Dr. Oetker baking recipe book that my students gifted to me several years ago.

It's an easy recipe - the only "challenge" is to braid the dough with the filling and then transfer it to the baking sheet. This is what is looks like before it goes into the oven...

... and this is what it looks like after being done baking (no, my silicone baking mat did not change color in such a dramatic way, only the light had changed).

As soon as it had cooled down, we cut a slice and tasted it - oh delicious!



20 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Not too many photos at all.
Much of Australia is under a heat wave warning at he moment, so these cooling images are particularly welcome. Thank you.

roentare said...

Delicate snow scenes!

DUTA said...

White snow cover, sure has a beauty of its own.
Your hazelnut braid looks very appealing on the blue plate background.

Tom said...

...I love your winter wonderland. We woke to a coating of white this morning, 57F in the forecast for Saturday! Take care and be warm and well.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great series of pictures, Carola. We live in an area where cold, snowy winters are the norm, so I can relate to them. In fact, we will be leaving for Ottawa in the morning to visit my daughter and family, and they got a good dump a couple of days ago. The only thing to do with winter is to embrace it, which I do. I don’t even really mind the shovelling once my mind is in the right place! Best wishes - David

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Terrific photos of snow and icicles! I particularly love the texture of the snow on the woodpile.

Christine said...

Very good 'snowed in' and yummy desserts

peppylady (Dora) said...

Living in North Idaho, in Northwest part of the United States.
What kind of firewood does people tend to burn there?
Coffee is on.

Latane Barton said...

I love your snow pictures. Each one has such great composition, color, makes me long for snow. Oh, what did I just say!! Well, a wee bit wouldn't be too bad. Have a good one. Latane

My name is Erika. said...

We have snow here, but nothing that would cancel trains. That sounds like a tough trip home. I'm glad your daughter made it. Your snow photos are pretty, And your hazelnut braid looks delicious. I bet it's yummy. hugs-Erika

Veronica Lee said...

Breathtaking photos, Carola!
Snow is truly magical, and your pictures capture the quiet beauty of winter perfectly.

Hugs and blessings

Lorrie said...

I love snow and hope for some every year. Your snowy photos are lovely and I never get tired of seeing them. I'm glad your daughter finally made it home after quite the storm. The braided bread looks delicious!

Jeanie said...

This isn't an overload of photos! I'd love even more when they are that lovely. This is when snow looks its very best! (And yes, worse places than Venice to be stranded!)

MELODY JACOB said...

Beautiful photos. "Snowed in" can indeed create unexpected adventures. Kaefer's journey from Venice to Bavaria, navigating through a snow-covered landscape and disrupted train services, adds a unique twist to the narrative. Sometimes, delays lead to unexpected experiences. How did Kaefer find her extended stay in Venice?

Teresa said...

Las fotografías son preciosas, me encantó verlas. El dulce se ve delicioso, me gustaría probarlo. Besos.

Violetta said...

Ja, den Schnee hatten wir auch hier - aber in Bayern war wohl das größere Chaos- die sind soviel Schnee wohl nicht mehr gewohnt. Aber es ist schon schön, so ein Winterwonderland - aber es fängt ja auch schon wieder an zu tauen. Der Dr. Oetker versucht uns ja schon seit 100 Jahren glaube ich, seine Backmischungen zu verscherbeln :-). Ich hab´s nicht so mit Keksen - aber meine Liebste, wenn die eins in den Mund bekommt....dann sind bald keine mehr übrig.
Alles Liebe und eine schöne Adventszeit
Violetta

Mae Travels said...

Your snow photos remind me of how we used to have deep snow every winter, but recently have had less. If we keep having rain because it's a bit warm for snow (which is how it's been the last few years) that is ok with me!
Your baking looks great.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lowcarb team member said...

Pleased that Kaefer eventually made it back to her apartment!

Loved your snow photographs, and the food looks delicious.

All the best Jan

Rain said...

That looks SO delicious Carola, well done! ☺ The snow photos are gorgeous!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I enjoyed seeing the snow photos, Carola, and admittedly when i read the title and knew you live in CA now, I thought that perhaps you traveled to a mountain area there. To date, we have not had any significant snow, only a few flurries, in southern NH. A white Christmas will only be seen in holiday films it seems.

Your daughter did have a long journey with the trains being cancelled, but as you said, Venice wouldn't seem to be too awful for another night.

Your hazelnut braid looked so good and surely tasted even better!