Thursday, July 6, 2023

World Famous Cliffs

 

In the summer of 2018, after having attended a wedding in Istanbul and toured a bit of Turkey, we spent a week in Ireland and I realized that I never wrote about that trip on my blog. Since I am not going anywhere this year, it is a good time to tell you about it. 

The Cliffs of Moher - Irish Aillte an Mhothair - are probably the most famous tourist attraction of the country. It was the only place where we saw crowds and the parking lot was filling up with tour busses quickly. Even though we had arrived relatively early, it was already crowded.

These sea cliffs are in the west of the country in County Clare. They are on the Southwestern edge of the Burren region - more about that area in a future post. They run high above the Atlantic Ocean for about 14 kilometers (9 miles) and rise to 120 meters (390 ft) at Hag's Head on the Southern end and 214 meters (702 ft) just North of O'Brien's Tower. 

There are warning signs everywhere around the edge. 

The weather wasn't at its best when we arrived and I couldn't resist the temptation to process one of my photos to make it look even more sinister.

In the distance you can see O'Brien's Tower. It was built in 1835 by Sir Cornelius O'Brien, an Irish politician. Its location on the cliffs offers great views of the cliffs, but also out over the Atlantic to the Aran Islands in Galway Bay. There is a narrow staircase that leads up to the top of the tower. 


We then decided to hike along the trail on top of the cliffs. The weather had become a bit nicer, but it was quite windy. There were many opportunities to take photos and of course we had to take the obligatory family photo.



Walking so high up on the cliffs offered a lot of fabulous views.


The Cliffs of Moher are an important bird area. We saw a colony of Atlantic Puffins and on a fence what I first thought was a "weird raven". I later learned that this is a rook (Corvus frugilegus).


And now a word on something that truly bugged me. No matter where you go to in the world, there are always people who have zero respect for nature and are in competition for the Darwin Award. The trail was to the left of the sign, the unstable cliff edge to the right. Yeah, that's where the people are. In the end, they're ruining it for everybody (not that they care).


Even though the Cliffs of Moher are quite impressive, this wasn't by far my favorite part of Ireland. There were spots I fell in love with and one I didn't like at all. More about those in future posts.

Ireland wouldn't be Ireland without its music, and so there were some musicians playing music on the side of the more crowded trails (but not on the cliffs). I loved listening to them and in coming to an end of tis post I will share this snippet with you.

Since there are quite some faces in this post, I'm sharing with Nicole's Friday Face Off.


18 comments:

roentare said...

It is an incredible cliff to visit. I had my blast there in 2016

Elephant's Child said...

Wow. How very beautiful.
And a huge sigh at the thoughtless who would no doubt expect to be rescued if their risky behaviour caused them to fall.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Everyone I know who has ever visited Ireland speaks of the great time they had there, Carola, and you are no exception. I am glad that in the hustle and excitement of it all you took the time to take a picture of the Rook! As for people playing chicken on the cliffs, the world has a limitless supply of idiots, widely distributed too. I have visited Ireland twice but only on business and saw nothing of the countryside, unfortunately. I actually came close to going there about twenty years ago when I was debating whether to visit northern Scotland or Ireland after a week in England. I contacted various birders and ornithologists for tips and offers of help, but never received a single reply from the Irish folks I wrote to, in total contrast to the Scots, so that sealed the deal. Thanks for this journey via your blog. Best wishes - David

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for the lovely photos. And nice to see our three faces smiling! I have spent many vacations in Ireland, and it is a place I love. Happy weekend hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

I know what you mean about people ruining it everyone. I saw that frequently in Iceland also. I've also visited Ireland, but we never made it to the west coast in the week we were there. Those cliffs look like a good place to walk (minus the crazies who hang over the side). And you did see puffins. It is always amazing to see how many are clustered together at nesting season. It looks like you had a lovely visit to the Cliff of Moher. Have a super end of your week Carola. hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

OMGosh. This is amazing. You are so fortunate to have travelled to so many places and I am thrilled that you share them with all of us and with FFO. Very lovely photos your daughter and then of all of you. Yes, you are right. It doesn't matter where you go there are people who don't care about anything but themselves. We see it here everyday where I live. We have clifs overseeing the ocean (not like those) and other wonders that the tourists leave behind garbage and traces of themselves that have destroyed wildlife. It is the sadest thing. However, I don't want to end on a bad note. The guy making music in the video was fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing. Have a great weekend.

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing this, I would love to go

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sheesh, I wouldn't be going so close to the cliffs' edge!

Tom said...

...since I have a fear of heights, you would find me behind the fence! Have a wonderful weekend.

Latane Barton said...

What a treat this morning to see the Cliffs of Moher. My daughter and I went in 1996... can't wait to see the rest of your visit in Ireland. It is bringing back so many memories. Thanks.

J C said...

I have never been there and I enjoyed these pictures, especially the cliffs. So majestic! Thanks for taking me along.

Mae Travels said...

The west and southwest of Ireland are really spectacular in many ways,as your photos show so well. We have been to quite a few of these places, including the Cliffs of Moher, on our several visits to Galway. We made a big effort to see the rooks. I'd definitely like to go back to Ireland!
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thise cliffs are magnificent and I love your photos. I especially like the moody one and the one of Kaefer. Some people have no respect for their own or others' safety. So glad you are sharing this trip to Ireland with us.

Lowcarb team member said...

I've always wanted to visit Ireland ...
I did enjoy this post and your lovely photographs.

All the best Jan

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You would never catch me on the right side of the fence ... I don't like heights and that would be way too close for comfort. That said, I agree that some self centered people tend not to care about how they effect others or nature or anything as long as they are getting what they want. Too bad we have allowed that to happen and I have to wonder when steps will be taken to make it unpleasant for them. Meanwhile love the Irish flute music and I have never seen a Rook (a grumpy looking sort, isn't he?) so thank you for the first. Your Photos are wonderful of the cliffs and of your beautiful family. Oh my, do you do the braids? ... looks like a lot of work. Thank you for sharing, Carola ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Jeanie said...

I've yet to visit Ireland but every time I see a post showing an image from the country(s) I hope more and more to be able to add it to a future itinerary! These are wonderful photos.

Veronica Lee said...

WOW! The views are breathtaking!

I enjoyed visiting the famous cliffs vicariously with you.

Your photos are stunners!

Hugs and blessings, Carola.

Barwitzki said...

Irland, Freude.
Vielen Dank für deinen Reisebericht und die herrlichen Fotos.
Ich war zwei Wochen in Kerry - wir haben getöpfert - und die Gegend
erwandert... wunderschön. Wir hatten so viele nette Begegnung
mit den Iren in dieser Region und im Pup wurden uns die Grundlagen
der Irischen Tänze beigebracht... viel Spaß... und ja, das Bier ist
bemerkenswert in seiner Vielfalt am Tresen... frisch gezapft.
Viele Grüsse zu dir. Ich freue mich auf mehr.
Hug Viola