Monday, July 10, 2023

Baile Átha Cliath

 

If you think I am talking gibberish here, you are mistaken. The words in my title is the Irish name for Dublin, the capital of Ireland. When we traveled to Turkey in the summer of 2018, we had a stopover in Dublin where we changed airlines. We arrived from San Francisco with Aer Lingus (one of our prefered airlines to travel with) and continued the next day with Turkish Airlines. In between we had less than 24 hours in this city on the River Liffey at Dublin Bay.

The Geek had booked a hotel for us just to cancel that reservation shortly before we left in order to book a different one - Stauntons on the Green. This is a fairly expensive hotel, but since it was being  renovated at that time and had scaffolding on the outside, we got a very steep discount. It is right in the center of the city with just a few minutes to walk to downtown and some of the attractions we wanted to see. The hotel itself was fabulous, the staff extremely friendly and we didn't hear anything of the ongoing construction.

From the airport we took the Airlink (bus) which stopped two minutes from the hotel - perfect. We checked in, changed and took off. Like every major city in Europe, Dublin has excellent public transportation, but since we were already right in the city, we didn't need it.


We passed by famous Trinity College. Somehow I hadn't imagined it right at a busy street.


The city was busy and bustling with people, many of them without doubt tourists. It was a lively place with many shops and cobblestone on the ground.



Of course I had to go into the Aran Sweater Market! One day I'm going to knit a sweater like that, either for me or for Kaefer.


It was June and some of the shops were celebrating Pride. The entire city was decked out with rainbows, celebrating Pride - in a deeply Catholic country where same-sex marriage has been legal since November 2015. Sweet stuff also seemed to be very popular with shops.



This being Ireland there had to be a whiskey museum.


And the Wacky Woollies made some wonderful souvenirs (yes, there are a few in our home now...)


We stopped at the popular Temple Bar, but didn't go in. I liked all the flowers at the buildings.



Kaefer wanted to go to Ha'penny Bridge, a cast iron pedestrian bridge that crosses the River Liffey. All of us really liked this place.





I saw many beautiful street lights throughout the city. 


Beautiful decoration on buildings - and of course everybody knows Riverdance!


Eventually we were hungry and stopped at Lotts for dinner. Each of us ordered something different so that we could taste some of the Irish cuisine. Clockwise from top left: absolutely delicious dark whole grain bread, Irish beef stew, fish & chips and Dublin Coddle.


We also wanted to try something other than Guiness and ordered two beers of Galway Hooker. It was a bit too bitter for my taste, however, I loved the name (that was the reason why I ordered this one). This hooker is my ticket for Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T Tuesday. I don't think that a hooker often stops there... 


We did go to bed soon after our dinner, we were so tired, and still had another six-hour flight the following day. In the morning we got a delicious breakfast in our hotel. One part of it was this heavenly smoked salmon with scrambled eggs. 


Come back next week when we will celebrate the 10th anniversary of T Tuesday!









19 comments:

Kate Yetter said...

I Loved your post! We are planning an overseas trip next summer with the whole family and Ireland is one our list of possibilities. It looks like a lovely place with lots of history. I looked up several of the buildings you pictured, as they are beautiful and would make wonderful subjects to paint. I enjoyed seeing the meals and the places that you visited.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

kathyinozarks said...

I enjoyed your travel post, the food all looks sooo delicious, not familiar with the salmon cup and egg-I would like to try that. If my husband has a taste for a beer-not very often now adays-he always prefers a dark guiness.
Loved the cast iron bridge, and seeing all the flowers
Happy T Kathy

Sharon Madson said...

Great photos! Food looks good, too. Happy T Day.

DVArtist said...

Ohhh what a wonderful post. My daughter and I really want to go to Irleand. I will have to send the post to her. Thank you for sharing the sights, the food and the drink. Have a nice evening.

My name is Erika. said...

Great photos today Carola. They brought back memories, but we went off season (in April) so even though there was lots of green, it wasn't so sunny and full of flowers. You look like you had a fun layover before you headed off for Turkey. And fun to see some of another place also. We've flown Aer Lingus to Europe a couple of times, including when we went to Ireland, and you can definitely get some flight deals. Have a super T day. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Dublin is very intriguing as your post shows -- we were there not much longer than you were on a couple of visits, though we have been in Ireland several times, mostly in the West. We loved walking past one of the national libraries and just happening to see a great exhibit about the poet William Butler Yeats, and then to see Swift's grave. I enjoyed your photos.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Elephant's Child said...

What a delightful - and delicious post. Happy T Day.

roentare said...

The Templar bar is surely amazing. Incredible cityscape photos

Valerie-Jael said...

Dublin is a fascinating town and one that I love very much. Glad you had such a good time there. And I love that Hooker beer, just right for TSFT. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

A Galway Hooker sounds like the representative of a very old profession, Carola - perhaps sometimes bitter too! You have written the textbook, I think, on how to make the most of a brief stopover in a city, and get the most from the time you have to wait until your connecting flight. You did a lot in a short time! Good to know that Pride is being celebrated there at a time when backlash is occurring in other places. Live and let live, I say. Hugs - David

Iris Flavia said...

Eine schöne Stadt! Ich hätte allerdings Angst ich verstehe kein Wort...
Jetzt bin ich auch noch hungrig ;-)

nwilliams6 said...

Fab trip and food pictures, Carola. I love that bar with the flowers and the food looks WONDERFUL! Lovely post. Happy T-day and hugz (I am not posting this week - just checking in).

Jackie McGuinness said...

I was born in Dublin and have been there numerous times, but I never tire of it.
I would order Galway Hooker just for the name as well. I would have to buy a glass as well!

jinxxxygirl said...

So fun taking a trip with you Carola! i could hardly take my eyes away from the flowers on the temple bar.. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

Lisca said...

What a great post! I've never been to Ireland but it is still on my list of things to do. The problem is, it'll be no fun going there on my own. My daughter in law is Irish (south west Ireland) and they travel to see her folks at least once a year. They say it's very beautiful, but at the same time it rains an awful lot....
Happy T Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Jeanie said...

Love that beautiful hapenny bridge and would love to visit this lovely city. Temple bar looks great and I love your food photos!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was overwhelmed by your photos and the tour you gave us of Dublin. What a stunning city you have presented to us through your amazing photos. Love the bridge, the ligths and the various stores where you stopped and shopped.

I am a stout person, but I enjoyed reading about your Galway Hooker beer. The fish and chips look excellent to me, too.

Thanks so much for taking us to Dublin and sharing all these incredible shots with us, as well as your beer, for T this Tuesday, dear Carola.

Teresa said...

Preciosas fotografías, Me encantan. Besos.

Michelle said...

Ireland is one of my favorite places. I enjoyed your previous post about the Cliffs of Moher. Nothing like seeing that place in person. Just gorgeous!