Monday, July 3, 2023

The June Garden

 

June has been rather strange this year. We had a lot of June gloom and sometimes the sun wouldn't make an appearance before the late afternoon. Temperatures were lower than normal and when I compare the state of the garden to photos that I took around the same time last year, I can see that everything is about two weeks behind.

Nevertheless, it was a great month in the garden.

The poppies were still going strong as well as the yarrow "Moonshine" (Achillea). The terracotta yarrow had started to bloom toward the end of the month.


The pineapple guava (Acca sellowiana) was blooming in abundance and there was the steady quite loud humming of bumblebees in the air. They sure had a blast! The flowers are loved by some birds as well, especially Northern Mockingbird and California scrub jay, and the squirrels won't avoid them either.


The hollyhocks (Alcea) are my guilty pleasure. They don't really belong into a California garden, but they remind me of England and therefore I have a few. Since we had so much rain in the winter, they are doing particularly well this year. They don't get a lot of additional water from me.


This lavatera was a surprise for me. A few years ago I had a big pink flowering lavatera that eventually was not doing well and I had to remove it. I thought I had removed all of it, but obviously this one got away and started blooming this year right next to the desert globe mallow (Sphaeralcea ambigua). The desert globe mallow has spread quite a bit. I first saw this flower in Arizona where it was happily blooming in the company of California poppies and saguaros. So I knew that it doesn't need much water. When I discovered it in one of my two favorite nurseries, I was thrilled and gave it a try. It is doing exceptionally well and never fails to bring a smile on my face.



The Matilija Poppies (Romneya coulteri) were doing well in front of the Smoketree (Cotinus). I love how beautiful these two plants look together.


This year I have way more insects in my garden, but unfortunately so far I wasn't able to take pictures of them all. There are ladybeetles everywhere, but I also saw soldier beetles who devour a great deal of aphids. There are tiny spiders as well as other little bugs that I still need to identify. I was happy to see the Fiery skipper on the yarrow and finally captured a Flame skimmer when he was resting on this thin branch.




Verbena bonariensis is one of my favorites. It is such a workhorse in the garden - it is tall, but doesn't obstruct any view so you can plant it even at the front of other plants. It is drought tolerant, self sows and attracts many pollinators. It thrives on neglect and flowers for a very long time.

The Centaurea I first saw in a neighbor's garden and it took a while until I actually knew what kind of plant it is. I was so surprised when I discovered it in the nursery (the same one that had the desert globe mallow) and took three of them home. Once they are established they are supposed to be very drought tolerant. I love the silver foliage.



There are Shasta daisies (Leucanthemum x superbum) in the "kitchen garden" (the part of the garden in front of my kitchen window), sweet pea (Lathyrus odoratus) in the back corner, and salvias throughout the garden. The hummingbird sage (Salvia spathacea) is a California native and has wonderful scented foliage. My only dahlia started to flower at the end of the month (I keep it in part shade) and so did the hebe.





These three are some of my most beloved favorites, all of them California natives - Coyote mint (Monardella villosa 'Russian River'), Vitis 'Roger's Red' and red flowered Buckwheat (Eriogonum grande var. rubescens). I have several other buckwheats, but the other ones are not flowering yet.




Of course I shouldn't forget the permanent resident in the garden, The One Who Rules Them All, resting under the Vitex agnus-castus.


My garden is my happy place. I work here a lot - there is always something to do - but it is a good and very satisfying kind of work. I'm still changing up a lot, but it sure is on its way to become a habitat garden.

Here is another picture of the "kitchen garden" with different kinds of salvia. The tall lavender colored one is clary sage, Salvia sclarea - very drought tolerant, self sows and a big pollinator plant.


We need a drink since this is for Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T Tuesday and a post that doesn't show anything to drink is not allowed. Since we're in the garden, let's have a fruity "garden drink" - Riesling with strawberries. Not quite like a German Erdbeerbowle (drunk strawberries) - we will have that this coming weekend.










21 comments:

Kate Yetter said...

Your garden is magnificent! So many beautiful and colorful plants and varieties. My favorites are the poppies and the hollyhocks.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Michelle said...

I love your Hollyhocks. My grandmother used to grow them and I think I need to. I should say I love all of your flowers. What a green thumb you have.

My name is Erika. said...

This was such a wonderful walk through your garden Carola. I'm a plant addict, and it's interesting to see what grows well on the other coast where the environment is different from here in NH. We've had so much rain for the last 6 or so weeks the weeds have gone out of control, and I need to find some dry time to weed. Do you need to weed your garden much, or is the climate dry enough (not counting the drought)? And your T day drink looks quite refreshing for a sunny summer day. Have a happy July 4th and T day too. hugs-Erika

Sharon Madson said...

Oh, my goodness! Gorgeous, gorgeous gardens photos. Love all those flowers and the ladybug, bee, and dragonfly! Thanks for sharing with us for TSFT.

Gretchen Joanna said...

What a luscious tour of your garden! Maybe "luscious" doesn't typically apply to an arid California space, but I think you would agree with me about all the beautiful drought-tolerant plants one can enjoy -- and many of those are at their peak right now. I was just admiring the clary sage in my garden this week, because I think it has twice as many stalks as last year. As you say, everything loved getting extra rain!

I'm jealous of your Matilija Poppies. I grew them a decade ago, but there really was not enough space; I had to take them out and now just admire them on walks, in other people's larger gardens. They are so dramatic. I also have Terra Cotta yarrow and they really responded to the wet winter.

Tonight I filled my green bin with spent California poppies and lamb's ears blooms, which were so prolific after the spring waterings, they were encroaching on other plants that are coming to the front of the stage now, which I want to be able to see. Thanks so much for the great pictures!

Iris Flavia said...

Hier angeblich einer der heißesten Junis seit Aufzeichnung. Nicht eine Mohnblume blüht und gerade jetzt 15C, regnerisch.
Sehr schön, wie es bei euch aussieht!
Eine Biene hab ich gesehen. Das wars.
Süßes Besucherbild mit der Telefonzelle.
In unserer Region gibt es Erdbeerbier, auch sehr lecker.
Genieß den Sommer-T-Tag!

roentare said...

The flowers are just vibrant and full of life. The drink is certainly refreshing in the summer

Elephant's Child said...

I am loving your garden. It is a riot of colour, of texture and no doubt of scent. Your drink looks perfect too.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your garden is stunning, Carola. I bet that it is filled with pollinators too. Your drink looks very refreshing and reminds me of Sangria. Last evening we had a lovely chilled Sauvignon Blanc on the patio and it was quite lovely to sit there and enjoy a summer evening. Best wishes - David

Valerie-Jael said...

Your garden is like a beautiful park, love it. Happy Jul 4th, enjoy your drink! Cheers and happy T Day, Valerie

nwilliams6 said...

Wonderful garden and critters, Carola. That drink looks super refreshing too. Such a pretty post. Happy Tday!!! Hugz

DVArtist said...

Wow! you certainly did have a wonderful month in your garden. Everything is so beautiful.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The garden may be behind previous years, but it is glorious. I miss my hollyhocks so I will appreciate yours. You have ideal weather, too. Here everything would be dead from winter's blast. I saw people were even skiing in the mountains this weekend because the slopes were still cold enough to ski on. People in bikini tops skiing was a sight to see.

Your Riesling and strawberry drink looks refreshing. Thanks for sharing your incredible and amazing mostly drought tolerant gardens and your wine with us for T this Tuesday, dear Carola. Yes, I am a bit envious. The only thing missing is a Bird of Paradise.

J. S. Vila said...

Beautifull coloured flowers in your garden. It is the result of a hard work. The dedicación gives his presenta with this lovely flowers.

Amila said...

Your garden is a lovely place with pretty flowers. I enjoyed looking at all these flower photos.Lovely insects too. Thanks for sharing.Happy T day!

Jeanie said...

Your garden IS a happy place -- and a gorgeous one. Whatever the weird weather is doing it is doing it right for the flowers. And that drink looks wonderful. I have some Reisling in he fridge and strawberries, too. I might need to take a page from you book!

Lorrie said...

Your garden is a place of beauty and abundance. All the photos of the little creatures who pass by are just lovely. My garden is my happy place, too. I could stay out there all day - as you've said, there is always something to do.

Lisca said...

Thank you for the tour of your garden. What a beautiful place. I smiled at the hollyhocks. Yes, they are very English.
Yes, people in southern Europe are more tolerant to breast feeding in public (discretely) but in Northern Europe it is not allowed. You'll get fined for public indecency(!) Ridiculous. Just for your information, the photo was taken in her private yard, but if it had been somewhere else, nobody would have taken offence.
I have received your ATC and postcard. Thanks very much. I think the reveal is next Tuesday, is it not?
Sorry I'm late. Tuesday is a busy day for me.
Belated happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Rostrose said...

Liebe Carola,
du hast einen wundervollen, insekten- bzw. tierfreundlichen Garten - ein Anblick, der mein Herz und Auge erfreut und definitiv ein "happy place" ist! Wir haben übrigens sehr ähnlich aussehende Stockrosen, dieses satte Rosarot, ich mag es so gerne - meine haben gerade erst zu blühen begonnen. (Auch hier hinkt in diesem Jahr alles ein bisschen hinterher - aber besser als allzu heiß.) Ich denke, es ist ein gutes Zeichen, dass ihr so viele Insekten habt.
Süß, der ständige rotweiße Gartenbewohner unter dem Vitex agnus-castus 😍.
Was deinen Drink betrifft - damit würde ich jetzt gerne mit dir anstoßen - aber erst nachdem ich deine Frage beantwortet habe. Du wolltest wissen, welches Garn ich für meinen Häkelpullover verwendet habe. Es handelt sich dabei um ein Verlaufsgarn. Das gibt es in verschiedenen Tönen, und ursprünglich hätte ich an einen grünen Pulli gedacht, aber ich habe mich genau in diesen Farbverlauf verliebt. Freut mich, dass dir der Pulli gefällt! Ich werde vermutlich noch ein bisschen mehr darüber schreiben, sobald ich auch meine Häkeljacke vorstelle... (Aber bis dahin dauert's noch.)
Herzliche Juli-Grüße und alles Liebe, Traude
🌸🌿❤️🌿🌸
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/06/lavendelzeit-bei-den-rostrosen.html

Teresa said...

Me encantan las flores de tu jardín, alguna las he tenido pero ya no están. Besos.

Lowcarb team member said...

Your garden looks lovely, and your drink very inviting.

All the best Jan