Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Ruins from the 12th Century

 

After we had returned to Ireland from Turkey, we picked up our rental car at Dublin airport and went to Portlaoise where we had booked a B&B for one night. It was already late when we arrived, so we started out early the following morning.

County Laois (pronounced Leesh) is off the beaten path, "undiscovered" by Rick Steves and therefore probably not worth it in his opinion - and blissfully lacking crowds of tourists. We had almost all of the places we visited that day to ourselves.

Many of the roads we took in Ireland were narrow country roads - and I mean narrow! At least you didn't have to think of driving on the left side (except when there was oncoming traffic which thankfully didn't happen too often).


Our first stop was the Rock of Dunamase (Irish Dún Másc) which rises 46 meters (151 ft) above a plain. The castle ruins on top of the rock date back to the 12th century. You have to "climb" a short way to get to the gate.



We had fun exploring the ruins and taking silly photos.



You can probably guess that these faces are for Nicole's Friday Face Off.

This is a favorite photo that I took of Kaefer.


The bigger picture looked like this:


That summer was an exceptionally dry year for Ireland, and the "Emerald Isle" was more yellow and beige than green. Not quite California dry though. Despite the dryness, the vistas from the castle ruins were beautiful.



I enjoyed taking photos through the castle "windows", it gives the photos a nice frame.


The yellow wildflowers on the grounds were pretty as well. Of course I took pictures of flowers - these thistles I thought quite charming.



We explored the ruins for quite some time during which we saw two other people who didn't stay long. Then we made our way back down again.


There was an old church and cemetery. I love old cemeteries, so we spend some time exploring here as well.




Eventually we left the rock and moved on to our next destination. Before we got there, though, the Geek had to stop because I wanted to take photos of the fields with hay bales. 



Then we were off again - more about that next time.

Did I mention that the roads were really narrow?


Since this is a "dinner post" for Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date, here's the only picture I took of the food we ate in a lovely pub in Cork that evening - fish & chips, of course, accompanied by freshly draught Guinness (I don't drink Guinness from a bottle or can) and a Baby Guinness Shot.



Sláinte!







24 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Beautiful. Including your precious girl.
All our hay bales are round like those ones now too.

roentare said...

The scenery is fantastic. Hay Bales are reminiscent of country. The ruins are so classic for Ireland.

Barwitzki said...

Ahh the baby Guinnes is lovely...I especially like the foam from the Guinnes, but the Irish pub's draft is such that there is little foam and lots of beer...it looks great in your photo Carola...and me I think I'm getting hungry :-)
Thank you for your wonderful photos... the dream. A pleasure to look at.
Liebe Grüsse von Viola

Valerie-Jael said...

This is gorgeous, Carola, I love old ruins, and Ireland is a magical place. I'm always happy when I see our castle ruins here! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

This is proof, of course, that getting off the beaten track is the best strategy of all. It’s getting harder and harder to find these quiet places. Kaefer looks so lovely and reminds us all of those days when we too were young, and the world was unfolding daily before our eyes.I am sure that all these experiences, shared with loving parents, will serve her well as she continues to forge her own path in life. Enjoy the weekend just ahead, Carola.

My name is Erika. said...

Boy that is dry for Ireland which I've been told is usually quite wet. And isn't it fun getting off the beaten path and avoiding the crowds? Those ruins look fun. Trips often seem to take on a theme (for me not a planned theme), and I remember coming home from Ireland and deciding ruins was the theme. There are so many cool ones to find, and as you know, there aren't that many here in the US if you don't count dilapidated wooden buildings and maybe ghost towns. Hope you're having a nice week Carola. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

I enjoy your travel posts (especially since we don't venture out anymore) the food looks delicious too

Christine said...

Enjoyed your lovely photos!

Jeanie said...

Those ruins are wonderful. But even more wonderful are the delightful smiles and fun photos! I love the cemetery and hay bales!

Gillena Cox said...

Lovely lovely photos. We do have Guinness here in T&T🇹🇹
Happy Thursday

Much💜love

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While I didn't comment on the previous blog posts, Carola, I enjoyed reading about and seeing photos of your travels in Ireland and especially seeing places off he beaten path. We will be visiting Ireland in mid-Oct as part of a tour and while we may not get to some of the places mentioned in your posts, as we will be part of an organized tour group. Still, it was great to read about them anyway. Your daughter, Kaefer, is always a lovely subject in your photos and it looks like she and you were having a wonderful time!

Teresa said...

Me encantaron tus fotografías, todo precioso. Besos.

Tom said...

...off the beaten path suits me well and I appreciate you taking me along to see the sights. This year more than ever rainfall and heat are a lopsided affair. It's easy to feel Kaefer's energy. Carola, take care and be well, enjoy your weekend.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a beautiful and scenic place to visit! Lover your "faces" photos too!

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! gorgeous photography and have a Guinness for me ~


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

DVArtist said...

Such a beautiful place and a wonderful trip. Your daughter is adorable. Thank you so much for sharing with FFO and have a lovely weekend.

Mae Travels said...

You an see why Monet loved to paint harvested hay! What a beautiful sight. Your photos are very enjoyable.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Oh what fun and your photos are all wonderful. Kaefer looks great and adds a lot of spunk to your pictures (as well as to your life, I am guessing). Kaefer is pronounced how? I love old ruins and old cemeteries ... you and I could have a good time out on the prowl :) The perfect Irish dinner ... fish and chips and Guinness. Makes my mouth water. Wonderful post and I can almost feel what a wonderful time you had. And, narrow roads are fine with little traffic, but not on a mountain side. I did that in Thailand and I couldn't look😒 Looking forward to more of you travels ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

peppylady (Dora) said...

Look like a wonderful place to explore.
I also post creative things.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I enjoyed visiting that castle's remains with you, the Geek, and Kaefer. It was fun to see your photos from that day. I love the ones you framed from the windows. Just beautiful. Now I'm hungry for fish and chips.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to mention. The fields in my state have those same round hay bales, too. Been that way for many years, I think.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Just read your question, Carola about the napkin.

I use a glue stick. I only expose a small amount of glue at the end of my glue stick. I then run it the WIDTH of the substrate and no more than 3/4 inch at a time. Lay the napkin on the substrate and smooth. Be sure the edges are glued. That is where I often initially don't get enough glue. Once that portion is in place, flip the rest of the napkin back exposing the substrate. Make sure you don't miss any of the substrate (with glue) because it will cause or create bubbles in the napkin if you do. Once you add glue to the next section, flip the napkin down over the substrate and gently (GENTLY) press the napkin in place. Once it is in place, flip it back again exposing the substrate. Continue one width at a time until the entire napkin has been affixed to the substrate. It would be easier to show than explain. Any questions, please ask.

Rostrose said...

Liebe Carola,
ich liebe Irland! Leider war ich erst zweimal dort - im Abstand von mehr als zwei Jahrzehnten, und der letzte Besuch ist auch schon wieder 8 Jahre her - aber ich hoffe, dass ich es in meinem Leben zumindest noch einmal schaffe. Vielleicht auch noch einmal am Bloomsday nach Dublin, denn dieser Tag war für uns ganz besonders toll. Falls du wissen willst, was wir da erlebt haben, kann ich dir meinen alten Irland Reisebericht ans Herz legen - https://rostrose.blogspot.com/p/reisebericht-irland-2015.html - und da eben vorrangig die Kapitel 2 und 3, in denen es um "Dublin on Bloomsday" geht. Und übrigens auch um einen Friedhof. Edi und ich mögen alte Friedhöfe nämlich ebenfalls. Superschön sind die Bilder, die du mitgebracht hast - auch in deinem vorigen irischen Beitrag -. und die Erinnerungen, die du mir damit beschert hast! DANKE!
Alles Liebe und einen guten Start in die neue Woche, Traude
🌸🌿❤️🌿🌸
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/07/costa-rica-13-kapitel-osa-peninsula.html

J. S. Vila said...

What a beautiful photographs of the Green Ireland. You had a very good travel, and this is fabulous. Have a nice summer for you and all your joyfull family.