Monday, January 16, 2023

T is for Through the Year with Books

 

Do you keep track which books you read or listen to throughout a year? I started doing that 15 years ago and sometimes I look back what books I read and which "ranking" I gave. My ranking changed over the years - in the first years I gave one star for books I really liked. Eventually I introduced two stars for books that spoke even more to me. And in 2021 I added a third star for exceptional - it went to Nora Krug's "Belonging". No other book since then earned a three star rating.

When I look over my notes of last year I realize that I was very hesitant in giving any stars at all and only four books earned a two star rating - "The Midwife of Hope River" by Patricia Harman which was very atmospheric and brought the Depression era in Appalachia to life; "When the Moon is Low" by Nadia Hashimi who is a favorite author because of her description of the life of Afghan women; "The Storyteller of Casablanca" by Fiona Valpy which describes the life of Jewish refugees in Casablanca during World War II and is interwoven with the life of a woman in contemporary times. Having parallel stories in the past and the present seems to be a very popular way of novels these days and I don't always enjoy it, but in this novel it was well done. This book I actually listened to and enjoyed the narrator, Elizabeth Knowelden, very much.

The fourth two-star book is "Leave only Footprints" by Conor Knighton. Starting with a sunrise on Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park on January 1, he travels to every US national park within a year, ending with a sunset at Point Reyes on December 31. While he is not describing every national park, he highlights less visited places (without forgetting popular destinations like Yellowstone etc) and tells interesting tidbits. He writes about the recovery program of the Channel Island fox that was connected to the disappearance and eventual re-introducing of Bald Eagles - fascinating. He describes the problems of Big Bend right on the border to Mexico. He went to American Samoa and what he writes about this national park - the least visited because of its location - made me want to go there one day. As someone who has visited many of the American national parks I recognized much of what Knighton wrote, I learned a lot and most of all I was fascinated by his description about the people and nature.

He also writes about star gazing in Nevada's Great Basin National Park which is an International Dark Sky place (remember when Erika wrote about it?). That leads me to another interesting book I read last year - "Under the Stars" by Matt Gaw.

Even though it says "A Journey into Light" on the book cover, it is a journey into night - with all its natural light sources of moon and stars. He talks about light pollution and its consequences and then visits several designated dark sky places in Britain. He describes his walks in darkness and his fears at the beginning of such an outing, only to become familiar with the darkness and embracing it. It made me curious about these designated dark sky places and I found out that right here in my area there is a place that is on its way to becoming a dark sky place - Point Reyes National Seashore.

I love to read mystery novels. Of course there are the popular ones that everyone seems to read like Elly Griffith's Ruth Galloway series which I enjoy a lot. But I found a few Northern European authors whose kind of dark crime novel speaks to me - Viveca Sten wrote an entire series that takes place on Sandhamn outside Stockholm, but her "Hidden in Snow" is not part of this series. Its setting is further up north in the mountains of Sweden close to the Norwegian border. This book is much more atmospheric than the Sanhamn murders (which I think have been made into a TV series). The other authors are Icelandic Yrsa Sigurdarddóttir's "The Silence of the Sea" (very dark) and Eva Björg Ægisdóttir's "The Creak on the Stairs" which is the first book in the Forbidden Iceland series. Before this book I wasn't familiar with the term Nordic Noir, but now I am. Dark and chilling. At the end of the year, I read on Elle's blog about the DCI Harry Grimm series by David J. Gatward and read the first book in the series. It's not your typical detective novel but rather unconventional written with a lot of humor - and boy, they do eat and drink a lot there!

Of course I also read German books - thankfully every year we have a book sale at the German School where I teach, and this year I found quite a good selection of interesting books.

crim

One genre that seems to be very popular in Germany is crime novels that are located in the North of Germany, mainly Ostfriesland (Northwestern Lower Saxony) and Schleswig-Holstein, the Northern most state in Germany. Of these books I especially like the novels by Anette Hinrichs. Her main characters are two detectives, a female from Flensburg, Germany, and a male from Padborg, Denmark. Since their regions are so close to each other, they often work together on cases that involve both Germany and Denmark. What I like about these books is all the background information about this particular region that has a Danish minority population that brings its own difficulties. One of Hinrichs's books deals with the refugee camps in Denmark at the end of World War II where thousands of Germans (including my paternal grandparents and aunt) landed after fleeing East and West Prussia by ship. It was a highly interesting read.

Of course there are a lot of gardening books that I read in 2022 - I never get tired of these. One of the most interesting and eye-opening books was Douglas Tallamy's "Bringing Natur Home". This year I want to read his "Nature's Best Hope" and learn more about his "Homegrown National Park" movement.


While reading, I often enjoy a glass of wine, plain water - or a nice hot chocolate; whipped cream on top doesn't hurt. This is for Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T Tuesday - I'm so glad that Elizabeth is hosting this year - the 10th! - again.




22 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Your reading looks widely varied — so many types of books! And you are so good at documenting what you read with lists and ratings ! I also love finding books about obscure parts of the world, like Iceland.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

I would love a cup of your hot chocolate-looks soooo delicious.
I enjoy seeing what others read, so thank you for sharing I do read allot of books, but I don't keep track of them. I read many on my kindle if they are the cheaper cost, but I do buy hard cover books too if it is something I want to read and the kindle price is too expensive-I would rather have the "real" book
Happy T and rest of the week Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

I love reading book posts so I really enjoyed your post Carola. And I also read Leave Only Footprints. It was a really good book, wasn't it? (and thanks for the shout out too.) That Under the Stars Book sounds excellent. I'm adding it to my wish list. And isn't it fun to look back at your reading lists from the past? I like how you rate books too.I am jealous you have more than 1 language you can read in, that is one wish I wish I could do. Thanks for sharing these, and have a happy T day. hugs-Erika

Sharon Madson said...

I am making a list of some of your books to add to my "to read" books. I think I would like "Leave only Footprints". I keep track of my books in Goodreads. I can't seem to get started this year. Thanks for the reviews. Happy T Day.

Amila said...

I love reading books and I read at least few days every day.But,I don't keep any list or I don't track the books I read.This is an interesting idea...I am happy to see all these books. A lovely collection!
Happy T Day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I wish I had time to read books and I wish I had a device where I cou8ld listen to books, but about all I accomplish is making art, visiting blog friends, and reading white papers and peer journals I still subscribe to. Several of your books sound really good. I like that you include gardening books, too.

I would LOVE to join you for a cup of hot chocolate. It looks really good. Thanks for sharing your book review and your yummy hot chocolate with us for T this Tuesday, dear Carola.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I forgot to mention, Thanks for your answer about blue bottles. I am the queen of free, so would not buy a bottle. However, I did learn from you that some came from wine. It's a place to start.

Lorrie said...

What a great round-up of books. I have found so many wonderful books by reading other blogger's lists. I usually have a cup of tea beside me when I read, but that hot chocolate looks very tempting.

Iris Flavia said...

Ja, ich habe auch eine Zeit lang notiert, was ich lese. Aber in "letzter" Zeit... fhelt mir die Zeit/Geduld fürs Lesen!
Und ich habe sooo viele Bücher und kaufe immer neue. Vertrackt!

Deutsche Spezialitäten und Typisch deutsch klingt interessant ;-)
Es gibt auch viele Braunschweig-Krimis, eins mit wahren Geschichten, gruselig.

Auf Bücher! Ich muss mich "bessern"!

Elephant's Child said...

I note the books I have read for the year, but don't rate them. Sometimes I find my rating changes depending on my mood or what is happening in my life at the time. A no star book today can certainly climb up the ranks later. Thanks for sharing some of your eclectic reading.

roentare said...

You read so much! I have a book list that I haven't even started

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Only once did I keep a list of the books I read during a year, but Miriam does it religiously. Right now I am reading, "Braiding Sweetgrass" which I am finding exceptional.

nwilliams6 said...

So lovely to see your books, Carola. I have never kept a record before but just signed up for Goodreads and I am trying to add the ones I know I have read and rating them. My daughter and her friends are all doing it too so we can all keep track of what we have read and what we liked - makes sharing the books easier. Sadly, I can't remember most all the books so it is a slow go just going through book titles out there and seeing if I remember them. So impressive that you have done a much better job!

I definitely want to read your 3 star book. All your books look good. Thanks for sharing them.

The hot chocolate looks scrumptious.

Many hugz and happy T-day!

jinxxxygirl said...

I don't read as much as i used to... A little sad writing that as i used to be an avid reader.. I don't care for the audio tapes as that somehow , well, feels like cheating.. for me at least.. I do not keep a list.. or rate them really.. i read only hard covers and keep the ones i love. I do tend to follow certain authors.. Carola you are certainly well read! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

DVArtist said...

I do not keep track like this. You are so organizes. I do love your mug. Have a lovely day.

CJ Kennedy said...

A wonderful, eclectic book list. Your hot chocolate would taste good right now. Happy T Day

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful collection of books -- I see some that sound interesting to me. And I love that you read in German, too. Of course you do. But I so admire that someone can read a book in more than one language! Scandi-noir has some good writers. I haven't read a lot of them but those I have I've enjoyed. Thanks for the overview!

Valerie-Jael said...

Great books, love would be very grey without books. Your hot chocolate looks good, too! Hugs, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

A fabulous array of books and that hot chocolate looks perfect topped with the whipped cream! Loving your mug too 😊. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

Kate Yetter said...

Your hot chocolate looks delicious. It definitely needs to have whipped cream!
I have not heard of a lot of your books but I did read Hotel At The Corner of Bitter and Sweet some year ago. I keep track of my reading on the Goodreads app. I used to hand write them all down but I found the app to be faster for me.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Lisca said...

How wonderful! A blogpost about books! You haver inspired me. Yes, I write down which books I read and I rate them. I will write about that in my next blogpost.
I have read only a few of the books you mentioned. I read both Fiona Valpy books and liked them a lot, especially the one set in Casablanca. The twist towards the end about the baby, I did not see coming. Did you?
I did not read Signal Moon by Kate Quinn. It's a short story, so perhaps I should give it a go as I have read all her other books. The Diamond Eye and The Huntress are up there with the best books I have read. The Rose Code and The Alice Network are also amongst the best. Each of these books have an interesting female protagonist. Highly recommended.
I read books in German when I was young. Back in the day Konsalik was a popular writer and I read them all in German. (And enjoyed them). My German has somewhat deteriorated and I'm not sure I could read a German book now.
I enjoyed reading about the books you read and enjoyed.
Have a great weekend,
hugs,
Lisca

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Carola, Yes I keep track of the books I read. I have been in a book group since 2005 and tracking my books since 2006 so I have a complete list since then, along with all our book group people. We track our discussion books as well as our personal reads. I also like crime/mystery books and have read a lot of Scandi-noir or Nordic Noir, there are a lot of very good books in that genre. Glad you enjoyed the Grimm book, will you continue do you think? I see the Ann Cleeves book on your stack, that is also a good series and they made a very good TV show from it too. I'm very late to the party. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx