Wednesday, January 18, 2023

A Birthday Outing

 

Last Monday wasn't only Martin Luther King Jr. Day but also my birthday. It was also the first dry day in a long time when even the sun made a re-appearance. You have probably heard about the horrific weather we had in California. Since the beginning of the new year we had been inundated with rain. There were several atmospheric rivers following each other, but it actually felt more like an atmospheric ocean. The rain came down in sheets, and not only for a few minutes but for hours. It was wild. We personally were doing fine and didn't even lose power, but there were people in our county who were less fortunate. We had flooding, landslides, sinkholes, fallen trees and unfortunately a few fatalities. Vineyards were submerged in water and roads were flooded so much that they had to be closed. It was worse in Central California, especially around Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara. Tonight we'll have some more rain, but then we are supposed to have a dry spell at least until the middle of next week. As much as we need the rain (we're still in a drought), it would be nice if these atmospheric rivers would be spread further apart. I'm not sure how anyone can still deny climate change.

Since it was such a nice day we decided to go out to the coast. First we stopped at our favorite bakery, got several loaves of their fantastic rye bread and this Gouda flat that was going to be our snack while at the coast. It was delicious.

While waiting in line - this is a very popular bakery - I fianlly took a photo of the barn across the street; this has been on my list for a few years!

I wanted to go to Goat Rock Beach which is our "go to" beach. However, because of the damages at the coast caused by the weather and the high surf, the beach was closed. We parked on top of the cliffs and just looked over the ocean. You can see the muddy water from the Russian River spilling into the ocean.


There are many rocky formations at our coast, but Arched Rock is definitely my favorite. It almost appeared in black and white against the glare of the sun on the water.


We took the trail down to Blind Beach - it's a steep climb and at the bottom, the ladder that leads to the beach was - gone. Taken away by the waves and the remains were just useless.



Some younger folks were brave enough to climb over the rocks, but I certainly didn't feel like it. Thankfully the Geek didn't insist on going down (he probably would have done it, dare devil that he is). So we just watched the birds and the waves and then climbed back up again. It was extremely windy at the coast, so I was glad when we were back in the car.


We stopped at several other spots and then slowly made our way home along the river. While it was very high, it was by far not as bad as the flood in 2019. We passed completely flooded vineyards and downed trees and everything was wet and very muddy. 

The Geek ordered dinner from the German restaurant that we like to support. We had a lovely schnitzel and fries, it was so tasty. The schnitzel are so big that we keep half of it for the next day. 


As drinks we had freshly squeezed blood orange juice topped with bubbly from a local winery - our own way of mimosas! Of course I'm sharing this with Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date.





26 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Sounds like a perfect day for your birthday. Lovely photos of the coast and I loved that barn-food looks delicious-Happy Birthday
Hugs Kathy

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

No matter what TV show I watch, they have the devastation along the coast of CA. Your photos are breath taking, especially the ones of the ladder. That scared me and I'm glad you didn't try to circumvent it.

I'm not sure what schnitzel is, but I wold gladly take those fries off your hands. And I like your home made mimosas, too. I really enjoyed your photos, Carola.

Elephant's Child said...

Happy Belated Birthday (mine was on Wednesday). Your outing looks delightful - despite the wind, and your mimosa is something we are going to have to try. I am glad that you escaped the worst of the storm, and feel for those who did not.

smilymel said...

Just found your blog. Great photography! It looks like a very beautiful bit of coast. Best wishes.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Happy Birthday, Carola. I am glad that you got a bit of a respite from the dreadful weather than has been on our television screens every day. The visit to the ocean, although not under ideal conditions, was probably the tonic you needed. I am sure that it was the best birthday gift of all. Hugs - David

Elderberry-Rob said...

Happy birthday (visiting from Rain's blog)

My name is Erika. said...

Happy belated birthday Carola. Your day sounds like how I would spent my birthday. Except we haven't had that flooding. Wow, the Russian River made some very obvious muddy flow. But the bread and the beach photos are gorgeous. And your version of a mimosa too. You can't go wrong with mimosas. I like the idea of fresh squeezed blood orange juice in them. Hope your week has been going well. hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

Happy Birthday. What a nice day you had. Really lovely photos and great looking food.

Jeanie said...

What a great way to celebrate your birthday! And sun! That bread looks fabulous and so does your dinner. I love times like that and on a birthday, all the more special!

DUTA said...

Happy belated Birthday to you!
Quality of life is,in my eyes, always linked to the weather elements. If I'm not free to get out because of them, then I consider it poor quality of life.
Fortunately I live in a warm place with a mild winter. But who knows? Climate change might strike here too.

Iris Flavia said...

Herzlichen Glückwunsch nachträglich, meiner ist heute.
Auf ein neues, gesundes, tolles Jahr, richtig!
Schöne Fotos, ach ich vermisse das Meer.
Und hmmm, Schnitzel!!

Christine said...

Beautiful photos of the coast and your meal and drinks look delicious!

roentare said...

Happy Birthday. The blind beach is so beautiful. I could spend days there photographing it

kwarkito said...

all these photos are beautiful, even if they show the devastation caused by the storms and rains on the beachfront. Yes, these floods are a real calamity and they don't fill up the water table. I'm glad for you that you didn't have to suffer any major damage

Mae Travels said...

beautiful photos of the steep way down to the beach! I haven’t been to that part of California in ages, and I would love to visit there again some time, but maybe in better conditions.

best wishes for many happy returns of your birthday!

mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Gretchen Joanna said...

That sounds like the kind of birthday celebration I would like -- if you can't get ON the beach, at least you can get close, and feel the wind -- briefly! Also, good bread, German food...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Veronica Lee said...

Happy belated birthday Carola!
Love the photos of the coast.

Hugs and blessings!

Tom said...

...well Happy 29th to you. Now I'm hungry for schnitzel. Have a fabulous weekend.

Fundy Blue said...

Belated happy birthday, Carole! You celebrated it in fine style. Those messed up stairs looked scary. I wouldn't have gone down them either. I loved your barn and arch shots. Thanks for sharing.

Lorrie said...

What a lovely way to celebrate your birthday. The rains have been terrible for you, and we've just had bits and pieces of those atmospheric rivers up here. The schnitzel looks delicious! Have a good weekend.

Willkommen auf meiner Kreativseite. said...

Nachträglich von mir noch alles Gute für dein neues Lebensjahr! Da sind wir ja beide Steinböcke! Ich hatte letzten Donnerstag Geburtstag.
Euer Ausflug war sicher sehr schön. Wir blieben zuhause, weil es ausgerechnet an dem Tag schneite. Bei euch gibt es auch viel schönere Ausflugsziele. Das Meer ist bei uns sehr weit weg.
Danke wieder für die schönen Fotos und
liebe Grüße
Renate

carol l mckenna said...

Happy Birthday ~ sounds like you had a wonderful day ~ not sure why but photos not showing ~ Xo


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I have been hearing about your terrible weather and so I am grateful that you are safe and dry. Your coast pictures are awesome and, like you, I love old barns so that was a winner as well. Your food choices look delish... I have to admit I would have loved to be with you on this outing. I think anyone would be hard pressed not to believe in Climate Change, and yet there are those ... is it stupidity, ignorance or just stubborn to a fault? I have come to the conclusion that people are their own worst enemies and I am at a loss as to what can be done about it. Happy Birthday a few days late ... I think your pictures tell us that you celebrated to a T:)

Andrea @ From the Sol

John's Island said...

Carola, This is absolutely a delightful post. The beaches, trip to the bakery, the barn, Goat Rock, Arched Rock, the **remains** of a ladder to the beach, the schnitzel and fries, wow, great photos. You publish an excellent blog. Thank you for sharing. John

Lowcarb team member said...

Belated Happy Birthday Wishes.
It looks and sounds that you had a very enjoyable day.
I did enjoy seeing your photographs.

All the best Jan

Rain said...

Bubbly!!! ☺ Happy belated birthday Carola! ♥♥ What a beautiful beach...I'm envious, I would love to be at the beach right now! Wow that is some schnitzel!!!