Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Attention, Fragile!

 

Rain's prompt for Thursday Art and Dinner Date is "glass". Of course the first thing that came to my mind was wine glass - what else? Come on, I live in wine country after all.

But of course there are so many other kinds of glass as well - warning, this is a very photo heavy post. I had way more photos to choose from and really had to restrain myself here!

Let's start with glass in architecture - like these glass buildings in London (left) and New York City (right).

Munich's modern airport, the only airport in the world with a beer garden (which was the first fun fact our daughter told us after we had arrived).

Windows can offer great views...

View from Dominus Flevit Church, Jerusalem

... or no views at all.

Hagia Sophia, Istanbul

Many churches have beautiful windows with stained glass that provide a very special atmosphere.

Cathédrale de Notre Dame, Paris

And the opposite - broken windows...


What would be a ride on the London Eye without the glass?


I have a thing with windows in old buildings.


It is simple magic when the evening sun is reflected in windows like here at Langer Markt (Long Market) in Danzig/Gdansk, Poland.



Window glass is perfect for reflections...


... and can be used as a fabulous center point like here in the Bundestag (Parliament) in Berlin.


Mirrors, of course, consist of glass


The German word for mirror is "Spiegel" - and with this I add a different take on our prompt: "Spiegel im Spiegel", a hauntingly beautiful piece of music by Estonian composer Arvo Pärt. You can listen to it here:


More glass - blue bottles on my kitchen windowsill.


Beer glasses and (sun)glasses - this is also for Nicole's Friday Face Off.


A glass with my name on it at the bottom.


Glass in art - the incredible glass creations by Andy Cao and Xavier Perrot, "White Cloud" (left) and "Red Lantern" (right).


Finally, glass in (street)lamps...

Baden-Baden, Germany

Hagia Sophia, Istanbul

On my porch

Let's not forget the dinner part of today's TADD. I love to use my wok for cooking, usually without any recipe. It is fast and delicious. I made Udon noodles with tofu (baked in teriyaki), broccoli and red bell pepper - very tasty.


As usual I had made too much for us to eat in one sitting, so I took the leftovers and made a meal with shrimp that I had marinated in toasted sesame oil.


If you haven't done so, please stop by my giveaway-post and vote for your favorite photos.






22 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good evening, I loved this post-I really enjoyed it-love the vintage glass too and your meals look delicious
Hugs Kathy

Elephant's Child said...

Wow, wow and wow again.
Thank you for these stunning photos. Your dinner looks and sounds delicious too.

roentare said...

I have a thing about windows in old buildings too. The London Eye view is spectacular! The noodles look quite appetising

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am left glassy-eyed after this amazing array of pictures, Carola. Of course, you began this retrospective with the most important glass of all! There was actually a problem a couple of years ago in Toronto, when panels on glass buildings fell to the ground. Luckily no one was hurt. The first week of January is almost over. Can you believe it? Take good care - David

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely selection of glass old and new. We have a beautiful glass museum here in Düsseldorf with a wonderful collection from ancient to modern. I love glass and even have a vase a made myself - with help from a real glass blower. Hugs, Valerie

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You certainly did take the Glass challenge seriously, Carola. So many stunningly beautiful images and I didn't mind that it was a photo-laden post, quite the opposite as I looked forward to seeing each image.

My name is Erika. said...

You may have a lot of photos Carola, but they are all wonderful. It was a pleasure to read your post, and look at it too. Those blue bottles on your your window sill are very eye catching. And pretty too. I hope your year is going well so far.Happy rest of the week too. hugs-Erika

Christine said...

Outstanding post Carola, you have covered the theme wonderfully.

Tom said...

...Carola, being a lover of architecture, I LOVE all of your uses of glass. You have a fabulous collection. Have a fabulous weekend.

Iris Flavia said...

Es gibt nie zu viele Fotos!
Oh. 1991 oder so saß ich fest im München Flughafen für 24 Stunden. Damals hat man uns in ein Restaurant ausßerhalb gekarrt.
London Eye.. never ever (Höhenangst).
Sehr, sehr schön umgesetzt das Thema.
Habe gestern Broccoli gekocht (und eingefroren für nächste Woche).
Auf ein schönes Wochenende!

DVArtist said...

Wonderful post for TADD. Hi FFO is now up I put the wrong day for the auto link up. Have a lovely day today.

carol l mckenna said...

Magnificent series of glass photos ~ so awesome and one of my favorite meals ~ delish! Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Jeanie said...

I love your interpretation of glass and every single photo is intriguing. (But you know I loved the cat by the lacy curtains best!) Love the blue bottles, too. DO you put zinnias or daisies or sunflowers in them in season?

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Oh I know what you mean ... I have so many pictures of glass that the hardest part of this post was deciding which ones. I must say your choices are beautiful and I will decide for you that your wine glass is half full (not half empty :). I think my favorite is your kitty in the window ... I am drawn to kitties and this one is so cute. Your food looks yummy ... I cook a lot with Tofu and have found some brands with flavors I really love. This was a lovely post, Carola ... Happy New Year to you :)

Andrea @ From The Sol

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

P.S. I enjoyed the gentleness of your "Spiegel im Spiegel" ... Thank you for that :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm really impressed with your take on glass. Not just that, but the amazing number of places and countries you have visited. So many wonderful photos, I would find it hard to pick even a few that I liked best.

Your stir fry looks wonderful, and meets with my love of vegetarian meals. So many show meals I could never eat, but this would fit right in my diet.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I forgot to ask where you got all those cobalt blue bottles. I would love to get some of them for my kitchen window.

Veronica Lee said...

Such a fascinating post, Carola!

Love your fabulous collection.

Wishing you a joyful and blessed 2023!

Gillena Cox said...

Luv the pretty blue bottles. Actually i enjoyed all the photos.
All the Best for 2023.
Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Much❤love

Lowcarb team member said...

Great post and a big WOW from me, you have shared so many beautiful photographs and ideas for Rains theme.

Your food looks delicious too.

All the best Jan

PS Meant to mention the happy smiling faces in the photographs too.

John's Island said...

This is an especially cool post. I’m going to have to keep a closer watch on your blog so as not to miss something as cool as this. 😊 The same is true for Rain’s Kitchen and Garden! I have admired Rain as a blogger but I just haven’t seen this particular meme on Thursday Art and Dinner. So now I have 2 more blogs on the “watch closely” list. Without doubt, you get a very high score for all the glass photos! But the (almost hidden) bonus is Spiegel im Spiegel. Absolutely beautiful! Thank you, Carola, for sharing your blog. Best regards from Seattle and Happy New Year to you. John

Rain said...

The food looks simply delicious! And of course, my favourite glass is always a glass of wine!! Great post Carola! ♥