Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Ukrainian Rogalyk

 

In one of my earlier posts I wrote about supporting individual people in Ukraine by buying digital files from their Etsy shops. Those files you can download just a few minutes after checkout. There are recipes, knitting and crochet patterns, Lightroom presets, and paintings. The digital files of paintings you can send to a place where they will print them for you in the size you want.

Among others I bought a recipe for Ukrainian Rogalyk. They looked delicious in the photo (of course!) and the seller assured in her listing description that they are easy to make. Okay, I thought, I go for it, and if it doesn't work, who cares?

Let me tell you that I am a pretty good cook, but I am not a baker. But my word of the year is "explore", so I decided to explore my baking skills.

The problem was that the recipe was written in a mix of metric and imperial measure. Before I could even start I sat down with my calculator, trying to get everything in metric. I then realized (which I didn't know before, call me ignorant) that UK cups are slightly different from US cups. I figured since Ukraine is in Europe that the seller was probably thinking of UK cups. In the end, I went for a number in the middle. Remember, I was exploring...

I made the dough, let it rest in the fridge and then got to work. First I rolled out the dough.

Usually when I roll out cookie dough, it either is bumpy in places or it sticks to the rolling pin (or both) despite the flour I put on in order to avoid this. With this dough none of this happened - it was smooth and didn't stick to anything.

Then I had to cut triangles, fill them with jam and roll them into "croissants". I still have quite some jars from last year's raspberry preserve I made and it worked beautifully.

My shapes were pretty crooked and after the first batch came out of the oven, I realized that I had put too much jam in the dough. But hey, who cares if it doesn't look like in the picture?

Odd shapes are easily hidden under powdered sugar...

We let them cool and then tried the first one. Oh - they were delicious. There is almost no sugar in the dough, all the sweetness comes from the jam and the powdered sugar. This recipe was for 50 pieces - I must have made my Rogalyk too big or rolled the dough too thick, because I only got 29. I brought some of them to German School for our break and they were a hit.

I am not posting the recipe, because I want this Ukrainian seller to make all the money she can and that she needs. I don't know where she is right now, whether she is still in Ukraine or was able to get into another country, but I do know that she and her family need the money. If you are interested in this recipe (it costs only a couple bucks), you can get it here. I am happy to help you with the measurements.

I'm linking with Kathy's Food Wednesday.


14 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I loved your post, and good for you adventuring into something new. They look delicious! and homemade jam is the best too.
I love how Etsy is helping to support Ukraine they had allot of neat jewelry too that was listed.
Thank you so much for sharing with us at Food Wednesdays hugs Kathy

Jeanie said...

Those look delicious! And goood -- glad you aren't posting the recipe, just the link. They need all the help they can get.

Mae Travels said...

Those look delicious. I think a variety of crescent-shaped pastries are popular throughout Eastern Europe, including Hungary, Poland, Russia as well as Ukraine. Yours look beautiful.

There's an easier technique for cutting the dough, using a circle and making wedge-shaped near triangles. There's an explanation in this blog post (which I found by googling) -- https://thisweekfordinner.com/cutting-dough-for-crescent-rolls-tip/

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Rain said...

Those look pretty good Carola! I've been meaning to try making those for a few years now! ☺

Elephant's Child said...

Well done - and what a wonderful way to show support.

Christine said...

This looks so delicious!

Iris Flavia said...

Not into sweets, but a) thank you for the reminder to help online and b) I hope it spreads to Ukrainian people so they know the whole world supports them.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Despite your reservations about putting in too much jam, Carola -- is there such a thing -- the results looked delicious just from the photos. What a tasty way to offer support too.

jinxxxygirl said...

Carola those look delish!! Good for you for taking the plunge! You did great!! Happy Food Wednesday! Sorry i'm a little late to the party!! Hugs! deb

Lorrie said...

Your pastries look very good, Carola. To me they resemble Rugelach, which is of similar shape, with a not-sweet dough. They are traditional in Hungary and Poland, and also Israel. From whatever tradition, I'm sure they are delicious. I never thought of looking for recipes on Etsy. Such a good idea!

Valerie-Jael said...

Great idea, it looks so delicious. I have bought digital files, too. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

Sorry I didn't get by your post last night. Yesterday was a very busy day. This is a great idea, and thanks for including the link. They look so yummy that I figured I would do the same and help someone by buying the recipe also. I do like to bake and it is fun to try new things from around the world. Thanks so much for sharing. And yours came out great looking also. I wish I had one sitting with me to have with my morning wake up drink. hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

Wow they turned out perfectly. Such a good thing you are doing.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh my goodness, these look delicious, Carola. And so nice of you to bake this dessert and support the Ukrainian people. Yes, the powdered sugar really makes it. I love to bake, but since I've been cooking and baking for over 40 years, I don't really measure or get too much into the details; I just go by feel and taste. This recipe looks like a lot of time, but Oh, they turned out wonderful, and I wish I had one to go with my coffee this morning.....or three. ; )

~Sheri