Monday, March 7, 2022

T stands for Pep Talk

 I love to read our local paper. I don't read it so much for what's going on in the world - I have the New York Times and the German news for that - but I like to know what's happening in my town and area. Usually, reading the paper is not exactly a pleasure. Most news are rather somber. However, every now and then, our paper holds a real gem, and I was very happy to find one of those last Friday.

Journalist Kerry Benefield loves to shine a spotlight on local people, events and happenings. This time she wrote about a very special hotline where children offer a pep talk to anyone who needs one. 

Yes, I dialed the number. It took several times to finally get through because the line was constantly busy. Obviously a lot of people need a pep talk. I got a ton of great advice - "be yourself", "jump on the trampoline", "it's okay to be different", "ice cream makes everything better", "take three deep breaths", "you are okay", "be nice" and "you are okay for who you are". They also told me that I am loved and I also chose the option to hear kindergartners laughing. I'm so glad I did, it was so refreshing.

We all need a pep talk from time to time, but if it's elementary school kids it's even better. These are kids from West Side Elementary School in Healdsburg, a small town a few miles North from here in the heart of wine country. It evolved from a project that Jessica Martin, the lead teaching artist at the school started together with guest artist Asherah Weiss, "that would allow kids to dole out advice and hopeful thoughts in these trying times". They started out with paper flyers that were distributed around the town with messages of encouragement and resilience. Every student made a flyer of their own. From here, they thought about ways how to connect with even more people and the idea of the hotline was born.  About 80 kids were willing to record their own voice and the teacher recorded them with her phone. Talk about low-tech - and fantastic results. Since the hotline launched, it has been busy - the demand for pep talk is high. So high indeed, that a sixth option has been added to donate to keep the hotline going.

Want to try it? Just dial 707-998-8410 and enjoy.

Among all the horrible news from Ukraine, this was like a breeze of fresh air.

Since this is for the T gang, here is my drink - I usually drink my coffee while reading the paper. You can probably guess where I got this mug. Thank you to Elizabeth for giving us the opportunity to connect.

Before I go I want to share an image of an uninvited dinner guest who recently ate the cat food. The reason for the cat food being outside will be explained in a later post, but I can assure you that both cats weren't happy, but thankfully left the raccoon alone. The little joys when your neighbors' cats take up residence in your garden... (and just to let you know, I usually don't feed other people's cats, but in this case I was explicitly asked to do it - but more about that later).



24 comments:

Mae Travels said...

The pep talk from the school kids is a wonderful change from most of the news at the moment. I’m feeling really bad about Ukraine!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

Yellowstone-my favorite place-and I only got to go once-but so thankful I had that opportunity-Love your mug.
what an awesome story about the hotline with the kids-that is very uplifting.
we had a couple of those on our deck awhile back-such mischief makers for sure. haha.
Happy T Kathy

Kate Yetter said...

WHat a fun thing to do! Everyone needs a pep talk.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

My name is Erika. said...

We've had lots of wild visitors at my house, but never once a raccoon. That must have been quite the surprise. And I love the idea of this pep talk line. Not only fun, but these days we can all use a bit of happiness. It was a genius idea. Have a great T day and week ahead Carola. hugs-Erika

Linda Kunsman said...

Just heard of this pep talk trend on our local news- the only one I watch once a day. Love it!
Great pic of the raccoon, and I would love to see one like this but I know - they can also be quite destructive and annoying. Happy T day!

Sharon Madson said...

What a great news article, uplifting for a change. I think the raccoon is pretty. But I don't think I would want him around. I have a photo of 5 raccoons up in a tree in our backyard near dusk and all you can see are their yellow eyes! LOL Happy T Day.

Iris Flavia said...

Awww, that hotline sounds so sweet and helpful!
A customer gave me a hotline for my lonely neighbor W, but he won´t take the advice, sad. If there were kids he might!
What age are the kids? Maybe I can write to the school here and pass on the idea. I think it´s an elementary school.
Yes, nice to read such news. Ukraine is running in the background. So sad, mad, scary....

Ohhh, sorry to say, but your thief is cute.
I only saw these at our local zoo.

nwilliams6 said...

Oh my gosh, that hotline sounds fabulous and so cool. I am going to call it.

Love the raccoon picture - they are super scary critters but cute as can be.

Happy T-day and thanks for your post today - I loved it! Hugz

Let's Art Journal said...

Very uplifting and that raccoon looks super cheeky 😉. So lovely of you to feed your neighbours cats and I love your Yellowstone mug - perfect! Wishing you a very Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My sincere apologies for this universal message, but my electricity has been off from about 4:25 Monday afternoon until shortly after 7:40 this morning. A transformer blew in my neighborhood. I heard the boom and felt the aftershock. It was a bitterly cold, windy night, so once my hands get warm and I get hot coffee and food in me, and I’ve had a chance to sleep (sleep was impossible in the cold), I’ll be by to visit properly. In the meantime, please accept my apology for not leaving a proper comment.

Divers and Sundry said...

Pep talks sounds like such an encouraging idea :) If we leave food out it attracts all kinds of vermin including raccoons and rats. People around here don't leave pet food outside. Happy T Tuesday

Darla said...

I"m happy to see your local paper brought attention to this pep talk line. So many of us could do with an occasional pep talk couldn't we?

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

In these days of not good news, this news article was indeed uplifting, Carola. Most folks could use a pep talk in the form of encouragement, but sadly that seems to be lacking most of the time as world events tend to weigh so heavily on everyone's minds. These kids are definitely bringing joy to many now.

Valerie-Jael said...

Happy T Day in these sad and scary times, hugs, Valerie

Lorrie said...

We definitely need pep talks these days. Such a creative and fun idea!

DVArtist said...

Very nice post today. Have a wonderful day.

Lisca said...

How delightful! A great idea to have children say uplifting messages. I wonder if my phone contract will let me phone that number...
Oh a raccoon. I have never seen a real one and I was under the impression that they are a bit of a pest. This one looks quite cute though.
Happy T-Day (And happy Women's Day),
Hugs,
Lisca

Michelle said...

I will need to try that number!

Red Rose Alley said...

This is a good thing that your newspaper provides for people who need help in various ways. That was great that you shared the number. Saying the Rosary always brings me peace, and guides me along the way. Oh, that mischievous raccoon ate the cat food. Looking forward to hearing the story of why you put cat food in your garden hmmmmm.

Have a good week, Carola.

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

How cool is that? What a fabulous idea!

And your uninvited guest looks like he'd like to warm up a bit too! Hope he and the cats don't tangle!

Lowcarb team member said...

The pep talk line sounds a good idea.

All the best Jan

Barb said...

I love the idea of children giving pep talks! Just to hear their voices would be uplifting. What a creative project for them to share with so many others. I'm glad the cats stayed away from the racoon.

pam nash said...

I love that Pep Talk idea! I wish every school district would suggest it to the local schools. I may have to try the pep line myself. I could use a little positive sunshine.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Well done to that teacher and her pupils! What a pretty creature that racoon is but I hear they can do damage too! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx